FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Quotes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Quotes
trpollen
Member # 8274

- posted      Profile for trpollen           Edit/Delete Post 
So I just read the Second Foundation Trilogy (The Killer B's addition to the Isaac Asimov universe). Some passages struck me as really funny or meaningful, so I wrote them down. I think you all might like them.

Benford:
-How do we frame the other side of an argument? We say, on the other hand. We think our two hands mirror the world.
-If you think there is good in everybody, you haven't met everybody.
-To live is to lose, in the end.

Bear:
-No man, no woman, no machine, no idea, can reign supreme forever.
-I am nothing, really. And it is quite wonderful to BE nothing, I assure you.

Brin:
-If you understand the forces that drive people, you will never be taken by surprise.
-Our poor friend has gone around his last corridor and hit bedrock, if you know what I mean.
-Free will is an adolescent concept that keeps cropping up, like an obstinate weed. But most people outgrow it.
-Individual people matter. Their differences are a richness, even more important that their similarities.
-It's a good thing neither of us is human, or this guy would really be getting on my nerves.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccersprout91
Member # 8207

- posted      Profile for soccersprout91   Email soccersprout91         Edit/Delete Post 
this isn't from a book, rather from a person, but it's one of my favorite quotes. (and from one of my favorite musical artists as well.)

an educated citizenry will recognize a fascist before it's too late.
-erin mckeown

it's simple, yes, but it's something everyone should think about.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
My fave quote:

"For I have loved the stars too fondly to fear the night."

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Educated citizenry: Yeah, unless they've been educated to be fascists and call it "being open-minded."

Maybe E.M. REALLY meant that people who are continually self-educating in a free society will recognize fascism ...

Because a lot of "educated" people don't have an untrained thought, months on end.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Stone, what the heck is that from? It's driving me crazy. I seem to remember it from a book. Hmm.

Here are 2 of mine :

"I didn't fight with honor. I fought to win."
Ender Wiggin

Love that!

"I swear - by my life and love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." John Galt in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
The hidden harmony is stronger than the visible one.

Heraclitus

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Do we have a site somewhere with extremely good Peter Wiggin quotes/phraes?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
We're just posting random quotes, are we? Okay, I'll bite.

"It is only the huge habits that people change without trouble. Communists can become Fascists with a day’s notice and Conservatives can crawl into the Liberal bed (or vice versa) with scarcely an extra breath between; men can switch wives and mousy women can go liberationist—-but show me a fellow who squeezes his toothpaste tube with his left hand, and I’ll show you a fellow who will never do it with his right hand, except maybe to win a bet and even then he’ll have trouble."
--Darius Just, Isaac Asimov's Murder at the ABA

"Tradition is something you build on—-not escape into."
--Graham Kerr

"It is a strange thing, but when you are dreading something, and would give anything to slow down time, it has a disobliging habit of speeding up."
--J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

"The objection to slipshod language is not so much its remissness, though there is that, as its effective elimination of useful expressions."
--Kingsley Amis

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my favorite all time quote...
Benjamin Franklin at a dinner in Versailles after the English and French compared their leaders to the sun and the moon:
"George Washington, Commander of the American armies, who, like Joshua of old, commanded the sun and the moon to stand still, and they obeyed him

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Treason...You know, I'm not really sure anymore. The first time I saw that quote it was on a BB for Roughnecks: Starship Trooper Chronicles (an awesome CG show that's about half book and half movie) and it was credited to Sergeant Zimm. I googled it and pulled up a page from one of my old interests, and it was quoting me. *shrug* I guess it's up for grabs.

"For I have loved the stars too fondly to fear the night."
Mike Norquist AKA Stone_Wolf_ AKA FremanSkum AKA Ranger AKA Lone-Wolf.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Your children are not your children,
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but are not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
Which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries not with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness,
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
So He loves also the bow that is stable.
Excerpt from The Prophet
Kalil Gibran

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

"When we hang the capitalist he will sell us the rope to hang him with"

Joseph Stalin.

ElaRibeira
Member # 8306

- posted      Profile for ElaRibeira   Email ElaRibeira         Edit/Delete Post 
"For you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not"
-Cat Stevens

"Things fall apart / The center cannot hold"
-William Butler Yeats

"In destinies sad or merry, true men can but try"
-Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

"Life is a suicide mission."
-Jane in CotM

"The beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair"
-Relient K

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Here Stone_Wolf:

quote:
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Sarah Williams; in "Best Loved Poems of the American People", Hazel Felleman, ed. Garden City Publishing Co., Garden City NY: 1936, pp. 613-614

From here.

Edit: I found the whole poem.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
"I am a slow walker, but I never walk back."

-Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Thank you Boon...now I know who to quote!
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
Reporter: How long should a man's feet be?
Abraham Lincoln: Long enough to reach the ground.

I love Abe! You can imagine my thrill when I read 'The Crystal City'!

"There is no teacher but the enemy."
-Mazer Rackham

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpEeDMaSTeR
Member # 7568

- posted      Profile for SpEeDMaSTeR   Email SpEeDMaSTeR         Edit/Delete Post 
"If they were right, I'd agree, but it's them they know, not me."

- Cat Stevens ~ Father and Son

Posts: 62 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

"If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them."

All by Isaac Asimov.

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
All three of those were by Asimov. Go here to read a bunch of quotes by him. He has some great ones. Another of my favorites from that website is ""Isaac Asimov had writer's block once. It was the worst ten minutes of his life." - Anonymous.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Treason, your earlier quote is right out of the Art of War, where it says, (I am NOT quoting here) dont fight until you have to, then fight with all you have. Very Buddhist, Ender was, Along with compassion for his great enemy.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chel
Member # 7674

- posted      Profile for chel   Email chel         Edit/Delete Post 
"raindrops are lonely
they fall to earth to visit
and we close our doors"

its not an exact quote. I think there might actually be another word in the middle line, i can't quite remember... but the general feeling is still there

Posts: 90 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
"Impressive." - Darth Vader
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Orange that is worthy of quotedom.
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

most of Fight Club is.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

The American is the middle aged man who has lived with vigor and honesty and righteously helped others, but kept out of fights. But the American is now the middle aged man who will scamper and scurry to get any stability he can, because he doesnt want anymore change. And this middle aged man is dying." cant remeber where I heard that but I think its pretty true, America is going downhill, and it grieves me to see politicians corrupting the system so they can stay in power. good grief.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trpollen
Member # 8274

- posted      Profile for trpollen           Edit/Delete Post 
I started this topic a few months back, and I figured I'd go back to it and add some OSC quotes from his short story, The Originist, that I just read. So here goes:

-Why are you teasing me about my vanity? I've always been vain./I consider it one of your most endearing traits./At least I make an effort to live up to my own opinion of myself.
-Challenge with new evidence instead of trying to twist the old stuff. Cast a light in the darkness. Don't just churn up the same old sediment at the bottom of the river.
-My semen flows with gold.
-No human relationship is ever anything but tentative. There is no such thing as an unbreakable bond between people. Like the particles in the nucleus of an atom. They are bound by the strongest forces in the universe, and yet they can be shattered, they can break. Nothing can last. Nothing is finally, what it once seemed to be.
-One might die with the illusion of happiness, but all he has proven is that sometimes death comes before betrayal. If you live long enough, betrayal will inevitably come.
-People use stories to form their own spiritual autobiography. They remember doing what the heroes of the stories did, and so they continue to act out each hero's character in their own lives, or, failing that, they measure themselves against the standard the story set for them. Stories become the human conscience, the human mirror.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
"Who said it? I said it just now, dolt."
Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ending a sentance with a preposition is somthing up with which I will no longer put." - Winston Churchill
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
one of my old favorites ... "The power of accurate observation is frequently called 'cynycism' by those who do not posess it". can't remember who said it.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
And as for Churchill ... this story/quote (roughly paraphrased and maybe untrue) always made me laugh.
Churchill to woman: "Would you sleep with me for a million pounds?"
Woman: "Yes"
Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for 1 pound?"
Woman, now offended: "Are you saying I'm a prostitute?!"
Churchill: "Ma'am, we established that fact with the first question. Now we are simply negotiating the price"

hehe

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I wrote this on my wall I figured I'd share. The other is the Happy Warrior by Wordsworth but too long to post.

How Did You Die?

Did you tackle that trouble that came your way
With a resolute heart and cheerful?
Or hide your face from the light of day
With a craven soul and fearful?

Oh, a trouble's a ton, or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it.
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only how did you take it?

You are beaten to earth? Well, well, what's that?
Come up with a smiling face.
It's nothing against you to fall down flat,
But to lie there--that's a disgrace.

The harder you're thrown, why the higher you bounce;
Be proud of your blackened eye!
It isn't the fact that you're licked that counts;
It's how did you fight and why?

And though you be done to death, what then?
If you battled the best you could;
If you played your part in the world of men,
Why, the Critic will call it good.

Death comes with a crawl, or comes with a pounce,
And whether he's slow or spry,
It isn't the fact that you're dead that counts,
But only, how did you die?

Edmund Vance Cooke (1866-1932)

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

I always enjoy the Rhyme of the ancient mariner but that too is too long to post.
Survivor
Member # 233

Why do people always attribute everything to Churchill? That "I already established what you are, now we're just haggling over the price" story is purest GBS. Can anyone even imagine Churchill doing something like that?

The "up with which I shall not put" was another less famous but not unknown writer who has unfortunately been lost to history because of the number of people attributing his wit to Winston Churchill.

Posts: 763 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Who was Shutruck Nahunte? (apologies to Ethan Canin). No one knows, cuz he lost the survival battle and never told his tale.

Winner takes all.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Princess Leah:
"Ending a sentance with a preposition is somthing up with which I will no longer put." - Winston Churchill

I've also heard it this way, I don't know which is correct but...
When told he should not end a sentence with a preposition, Winston Churchill replied,

"That is the kind of pedantical nonsense, up with which I will not put."

My Hebrew professor had us lable whole sections of our text book with PN, stood for pedantical nonsense, as a result.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
From Homebody by OSC
Harper Paperback, Pge 271

quote:
"Why am I so certain of my doubt?"
quote:

"Why is doubt the one thing we're never skeptical of? We question other people's beliefs, and the more sure they are the more we doubt them. But it never occurs to us to doubt our own doubt. Question our questions. We think our questions are answers."

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Princess Leah:

I've also heard it this way, I don't know which is correct but...
When told he should not end a sentence with a preposition, Winston Churchill replied,

"That is the kind of pedantical nonsense, up with which I will not put."

Ooh, I like your version much better. I will officially use it now.
Survivor
Member # 233

It wasn't Churchill.

And the phrase was "arrant pedantry", not "pedantical[sic] nonsense".

RufflesBag3
Member # 8735

- posted      Profile for RufflesBag3   Email RufflesBag3         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember where I heard this one but I think its good.

Don't mingle in the realm of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with katchup!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 233

Sounds like a perversion of "Meddle not in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
"Now it must be understood that ink is the great missive weapon of the learned. Conveyed through a sort of engin called a quill, infinite numbers of these are hurled at the enemy by the valiant of both sides; as if it were an engagement of porcupines."

Jonathan Swift

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

"And the pig stood up"

George Orwell

RunningBear
Member # 8477

"The only good chicken is a dead chicken"

Col. Sanders

Just Kiddin, I think.

Survivor
Member # 233

Col. Sanders has clearly never eaten a live chicken.
Jebu
Member # 8718

- posted      Profile for Jebu   Email Jebu         Edit/Delete Post 
"Many a man fails as an original thinker simply because his memory is too good."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"A poet is a dethroned king sitting among the ashes of his palace trying to fashion an image out of the ashes."
- Kahlil Gibran

Posts: 8 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an OSC original, from either one of his posts or his articles that I use all the time in my daily life, concerning professional athletes.

"They get paid an obscene amount of money for their ability to perform fundamentally useless acts."

Granted, I paraphrased, but the part I took from him was "their ability to perform fundamentally useless acts". The "obscene amount of money" was mine. But that's the most apt description of professional athletes I've ever seen, and I'm a sports nut.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cali-Angel-Cat
Member # 8799

- posted      Profile for Cali-Angel-Cat   Email Cali-Angel-Cat         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RufflesBag3:
I don't remember where I heard this one but I think its good.

Don't mingle in the realm of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with katchup!

I've heard it said this way: Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, Mortal, For Thou Art Crunchy, And Taste Good With Ketchup.
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.