FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What book introduced you to OSC? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What book introduced you to OSC?
Olhado
Member # 1530

- posted      Profile for Olhado           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother gave me Ender's Game for my birthday 3 years ago and It was one of the greatest gifts I ever recieved. It was the first time I had ever heard of OSC. Now I have read several of his books and count him as one of my favorite authors.(Strange side note: I found out that my best friend's mom was in an acting class with OSC in college, what a small world!) I was just curious about what book people read that compelled them to pick up another OSC novel. Or what about his writing keeps people reading OSC.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
VidRoth
Member # 986

- posted      Profile for VidRoth           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, obviously the extraordinary excellence of OSC's writing kept me coming back!

Seriously, though, this is a much more interesting question than I thought at first glance--no offense! Like most people, I suppose, I read EG first, but I was thinking back, and I'm not 100% sure where I went from there. It's been a while--but I didn't think it had been *that* long!

I strongly suspect I read Speaker next, but I honestly couldn't tell you what I read after that, and the list from there includes most of his library!

You've disturbed me greatly, Olhado, because now I'm looking back at other authors from whom I've read 15 or more books, and I'm having trouble reconstructing the order I discovered their books, too! Back when I liked Foster, I read "Tar-Aiym Krang" first, but I don't know where I went from there, and I have no clear memory at all of my reading order for McCaffrey or Cherryh...

Darnit, I'm NOT OLD YET!!!

Saving grace... I remember exactly the order I read Moorcock, and that's about 30 books starting when I was 11 or 12. Ha HA!

Don't scare me like that.

Posts: 117 | Registered: Jun 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginnis
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for Ginnis   Email Ginnis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I initially bought "Ender's Game" because I wanted to have an open mind and give science fiction a chance. I loved it then purchased, in no discernible order:

Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind, Hart's Hope, The Memory of Earth, The Call of Earth, The Ships of Earth, Earthfall, Ender's Shadow, and Shadow of the Hegemon.

Hmm...actually I believe those are in the order in which I bought them. Nevermind then about the 'no discernible order' thing.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read Ender's Game in 8th grade because it was summer reading for freshman honors English. I jumped right into the other Ender books, which at that time ended with Xenocide. I read Children of the Mind when it came out in paperback the summer after 9th grade. Then I didn't pick up another OSC book until the spring I was in 11th grade, when my mother randomly came home from the bookstore with Saints in her hand. I gobbled that up and moved on to Lovelock. In the nearly two years ensuing, I've read Treasure Box, Homebody, the Alvin Maker series, How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy, Ender's Shadow, Enchantment, Treason, Character and Viewpoint, Hart's Hope, Magic Mirror, Sarah, Songmaster, Pastwatch, The Memory of Earth, and The Call of Earth.

Why? Because they're good...believable characters and great dialogue.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
^Saudade^
Member # 175

- posted      Profile for ^Saudade^   Email ^Saudade^         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ender's Game of course, I got it as a present for my 8th birthday along with Speaker of the Death. Since then I have kept comming back for more, I guess it was because I could identify quite easily with Ender's situation on the battle school.
Posts: 1449 | Registered: Jun 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read Monkey Sonatas first, then Flux. I read Ender's game much later than the rest of you, it seems-I think I was 15 or so. Next came the Worthing Saga, which I haven't read in ages. Even though I really enjoyed Ender's game, I wasn't really intersted in reading the Speaker trilogy until I was older-I read it during a week long stay in the hospital, along with Lovelock.
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ender's Game. My sister gave it to me as a present, along with Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide. They sat on my shelf for several years, because I was very busy and when I start reading a book or series of books, I will drop everything else until I have finished the book(s)!! I finally read the books on a train trip (pretty much ignoring my husband and kids, much to my husband's disgust ) and ran out to the bookstores on one of our trip stops to buy Children of the Mind.
Posts: 5770 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read enders game in the sixth grade but I resisted readng the speaker books because at the time it didn't think they were sequals in the truest sense.So I didn't read the speakers trilogy when I was 19. At that time Enders shadow cameout because I felt it woully my memory of ender. However after reading the first five chapters of of Shadows of the hegamon I was sucked back into the enderverse and Got ES. I then waited for Shadowof the Hegamon to comeout and I readit in two days. every timeI try not to get sucked into another card title I get sucked back in
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read Wyrms at 12, then Ender's Game (ff) at 17. And then it all took off...
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Holy Fuzz
Member # 1107

- posted      Profile for Holy Fuzz   Email Holy Fuzz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I of course started with EG, at about age 10, then I read Pastwatch, followed by the rest of the Ender series and Ender's Shadow, and then Homecoming and Alvin.

And if peek-a-boo is reading this, I havn't read Shadow of the Hegamon, so it isn't all good. I have it on reserve at the library. I feel so TOTALLY left out.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first OSC book was "How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy". It was a featured selection of The Science Fiction Book Club. I flew through the book in a matter of days, shocked that a non-fiction book could be so enjoyable to read.

A month or so later I was in the library and itching to read something new, when I remembered OSC's description in "How To Write..." of how he got the idea for "Ender's Game". So I hunted down EG and brought it home and read it in two days and loved it.

Then I read "The Worthing Saga" and I liked THAT, too.

Then I think it was The Alvin series... read "Seventh Son" in hardcover from the library. I remember ordering the whole Alvin series (minus Heartfire) from amazon.com, along with Maps in a Mirror.. don't remember if it was before or after I'd read them, though.

Now I'm hopelessly hooked and anxiously awaiting the next Alvin book... it's been too long.

--xnera

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
^delentye
Member # 1458

- posted      Profile for ^delentye           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you know how there are some books that you know you SHOULD read, because they're "classics" or "everyone else read them?" For me, EG was sort of like that. I actually only first read it a month ago. *dodges rotten tomatoes* I know, I know! I'm bad; but I'm now really grateful for my friend who introed me to it. Thanx, Phil!

I'd have to say that I kept coming back because I realized that the characterization in EG was possibly the best I'd ever read, and the interweaving of philosophy and depth of ideas (along with the witty, funny, dry interchanges ) didn't exist in any other authors work.

So, all! Pay homage to the great OSC and get more people to read him!

^delentye
P.S.: Please excuse my rambling, I just got back from track and there's not enough oxygen in my brain yet.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginnis
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for Ginnis   Email Ginnis         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I really got into this OSC Fandom thing late in life. I was twenty before I ever read a Card novel. (I'm twenty-two now.) Within a month after reading Ender's Game, I'd read the rest of the Quartet, the entire Homecoming series, and Hart's Hope. But then academics got in my way, not to mention my own writing, and I had to put off reading anymore Card for a while.
Posts: 32 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ele
Member # 708

- posted      Profile for Ele   Email Ele         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a book. A short story. A friend of mine gave me a copy of "Unaccompanied Sonata" saying that I "just had to read this."

The first novel I read of OSC's was _Harts Hope_.

~Ele

Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
HonoreDB
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for HonoreDB   Email HonoreDB         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started with Ender's Game, then the trilogy, then Ender's Shadow, and Pastwatch. I also have not yet gotten my hands on SH, which is making it increasingly impossible to lurk in this forum: I'm afraid of some spoiler like that "I didn't like the death of ender" post.

Odd thing, though, when a friend saw me reading EG for the first time, he said, "Oh, rereading that?" He had never read it, but he was convinced he saw me reading it the year before. It's still an unsolved mystery between us how he got that miscoception, especially since he recognized the plot when I told him.

Posts: 535 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first read EG in fifth grade, but didn't read the rest of the series (except the Shadow books, they weren't out then) until seventh grade. Then I just went through most of the rest of Card's books.

~Miro

Posts: 2148 | Registered: Aug 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
peek-a-boo
Member # 1495

- posted      Profile for peek-a-boo   Email peek-a-boo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dude peek-a-boo
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm nearly as old as Uncle Orson is, of course (well, 7 years younger), but I remember when the story Ender's Game first came out. I think it was in Omni. It just blew me away, of course. Then I can remember reading other stories by him. Unaccommpanied Sonata, and more. I can't remember what was the first novel but I think I didn't read the novel of Ender's Game for a long time after that. I remember when I finally read it I didn't like it as well as the short story version. But Speaker for the Dead was the greatest OSC book ever. (Still is my favorite.) After that I just started reading everything by OSC I could get my hands on.
Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ender's Game (Novel) was the first one I read. My friend from school told me how great it was...

From there I went on te read anything of his I could find. One I haven't read is Unaccompanied Sonata. I haven't been able to find it around anywhere...
(Well I've only been trying in earnest for a few weeks)

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Koffeld
Member # 1423

- posted      Profile for Koffeld   Email Koffeld         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enders Game then Worthing Saga.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Dec 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Interesting, isn't it, how many people read EG first.
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that's because it's both is most recognized and his most universal book.

~Miro

Posts: 2148 | Registered: Aug 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Urchin
Member # 1545

- posted      Profile for Urchin   Email Urchin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First one was EG. It was on a recommended reading list for Marine Corps Non-Commissioned officers. It was considered appropriate reading for us 'future leaders and commanders'. Fell in love with the book!! Devoured it in a day!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in eighth grade, a librarian came to my school and talked about books. I think she recommended a lot of books I liked a lot, so when she mentioned EG I decided I might as well try it even though I am NOT a sci-fi person at all.
So I read EG and, of course, loved it, but I had no idea there were sequels until my older sister found one of them at the bookstore and gave it to me. At that point it struck me that Orson Scott Card might have written more books than that...

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
the_fourth_wiggin
Member # 1542

- posted      Profile for the_fourth_wiggin   Email the_fourth_wiggin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ender's Game was on the list of books I had to read over the summer before 9th grade so I get get into honors English... But I ended up not being in honors English, because EG was the ONLY book I read the summer... hehe... Oh well... Then, I read Speaker and then Ender's Shadow and now I'm reading Shadow of the Hegemon and Xenocide at the same time.

I like OSC because he writes the truth and he writes it in a very simple style. He writes it the way I would think it and everything in real life somehow can be related back to something in Ender's Game.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
stihl1
Member # 1562

- posted      Profile for stihl1   Email stihl1         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read EG because I got it for free from the bookstore I worked for. I had had my eye on it for a while, and I knew that card was a big sci fi author. After I finished the 4 enders books, I read the Maps in a Mirror anthology and I knew then that the man was a genious. Anyone that hasnt read the short stories by Card is missing out bigtime!

Posts: 1042 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first OSC book I read was "Folk of the Fringe". My husband picked it up at a used bookstore and I read it one a business trip. After I finished it, I picked up Seventh Son at an airport bookstore. Then I had to read the rest of the Alvin series. After that I moved on to the Ender series. And so on and so on.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I've never posted before. This seems a fairly harmless beginning...)
Many moons ago I read the short-story compilation "Cruel Miracles" and then, "Seventh Son". About a decade later my interest was renewed by a used copy of "Songmaster" and then a freshed-faced copy of "Enchantment" (which my sister-in-law told me that I had to read). I'm just now starting "Ender's Game", but I think I might have the entire plot just by reading these threads...

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ralphie! Quick, finish EG before we spoil the whole thing for you!
Austin Ross
Member # 1439

- posted      Profile for Austin Ross   Email Austin Ross         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course EG introduced me to OSC!
Posts: 47 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JanusAurora
Member # 886

- posted      Profile for JanusAurora   Email JanusAurora         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably the first book I read was Treasure Box. Then Folk of the Fringe, then I found the Ender series - backwards from Xenocide - and then Lost Boys, and I was hooked.
Posts: 160 | Registered: Apr 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
CKDexterHaven
Member # 1575

- posted      Profile for CKDexterHaven   Email CKDexterHaven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first OSC book was Ender's Game, which was recommended to me by some folks on a forum dedicated to Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. As soon as I finished with it, I went out and bought all the Ender and Shadow books I could find. I'll probably start on the Alvin Maker books next.
Posts: 162 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
finished!
now on to the next 30 books...

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seveth Son was my first OSC book. Weird, huh?
I found that series especially interesting due to the region where I grew up and my Shawnee heritage (family legend says my great-great-great-great grandfather was a shaman, though I have never attempted to verify that, so it could be pure bull).

I had never read anything else by OSC when I bought Seventh Son (first hard cover edition). I only read the Ender series this past year or so.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
francisberg
Member # 702

- posted      Profile for francisberg   Email francisberg         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i stumbled upon osc randomly in the library, having never even heard of him before. my first book was the first in the homeconming series and from then on i was hooked. i would read it even on my lunch breaks at work, and when i finished the book on a lunch break i quickly ran to the library, took out the next one, and kept reading. i have devoured all of osc's works since.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter Wiggin
Member # 1586

- posted      Profile for Peter Wiggin   Email Peter Wiggin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read Ender's Game 10 yrs ago when I was 16... It was, is and probably will be the best story I've ever come across in any book ever. And I guess this is strange to many, but my fav character is actually "Peter Wiggin" esp the version shown in Children of the Mind, hence my username...

Now I'm absolutely thrilled that there's an entire book devoted to him BEFORE he became the Hegemon. (I might not like him afterward though...) hahaha just a thought

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
dav925
Member # 1589

- posted      Profile for dav925   Email dav925         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it all started with Enders Game. A friend of mine got it for me along with a french to english dictionary, the first Harry Potter book, and a copy of the Westing game. She got me hooked on Card, and since then, in this order, i have read Speaker, Xenocide, COTM, Memory Of Earth, Call of earth, Ships of earth, Earthfall, earthborn, seventh son, red prophet, prentice alvin, alvin journeyman, heartfire, pastwatch, lost boys, Enders shadow, and Shadow of the hegemon.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
denisep
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for denisep   Email denisep         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Feed the Baby of Love" in the "Bradbury Chronicles". Been hooked ever since. I, like AKA am almost as old as uncle Orson. Even closer, since I'm turning 40 really, really soon. I read Ender's Game when I was 34 and pregnant with my son.
Posts: 63 | Registered: May 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
skruesch
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for skruesch   Email skruesch         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually stumbled across "Songmaster" first and loved it. Since I am an "author" reader, I immediately tracked down every other book by OSC I could find at that time, loving every one of them. Since then, I just keep up with each new book as it comes along and fill in the time in between rereading old favorites and hoping to "stumble" across other authors that compare (I recently discovered Robin Hobbs!)
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jan 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
dagobah
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for dagobah   Email dagobah         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ender's Game. I picked it up in the library entirely by accident 8 years ago, and since then I've read all his books which I could borrow or buy. That's not always easy down here, because, apart from the people I have introduced to his writing, I know of no-one who has heard of him. I even have to spell his name in bookshops because of peoples' ignorance. The one exception to that is that one sci-fi outlet with the hideously inflated prices that I keep in business. And I mean hideous prices, along the lines of: it's a bird, it's a plane, no, it's the price of books at Minotaur!!! (Hope that isn't slander).
Posts: 98 | Registered: Jul 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first read ender's Game some years ago, at that point i was really taken with the book, although it was some years before i even knew that there were more in the universe.

the first of the homecoming series was the next that i read.

Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dina
Member # 1590

- posted      Profile for Dina           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seventh Son and all the alvin maker books first I did not even really like Ender's Game the first time I read it it was good but after the last battle it lost me. Then Ender's Shadow came out and I read it ended up re reading ender's game and getting hooked read the other 4 but out of order because Speaker of the Dead was stolen found Speaker of the dead re read again and was hooked
Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

hey, dina
don't tell people around here you didn't like eg. you may have an angry group of demon-faced villagers with pitchforks outside your window right now.

Ela
Member # 1365

CKDexterHaven (aka D_G ). Welcome to Hatrack! Glad you came over here.
~Ela (aka~MM~ )

CKDexterHaven
Member # 1575

- posted      Profile for CKDexterHaven   Email CKDexterHaven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the welcome Ela/MM! I'm very glad to be here!
Posts: 162 | Registered: Jan 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Zannith
Member # 1614

- posted      Profile for Zannith   Email Zannith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well first book....I was havin an awful year, my parents split up, and my school was going down tha tubes....so I confronted my English teacher to just let me take a pass/fail test (note this is high school freshman in Utah) she allows me to, and give me a packet for take home, and tha book I had to read was Ender's Game. I had never been a big reader, and once I finished the book, from the library, I went out and bought the whole series...I now own ender's shadow and just need tha new shadow book. so that is how I got started.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eshe
Member # 1622

- posted      Profile for Eshe   Email Eshe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read EG in second grade, and have probly read it atleast every 2 months since then, im a Junior now. Ive read every book in the EG series atleast 6 times (Including Shadow of the hegemon). I got about 9/10 of it commited to memmory at this point. Ive havn't tried many of OSC no Eg books, are they good?
Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhhhhhh... ... ... yeah!

Read Songmaster for sure, and The Worthing Saga, and don't dare miss Wyrms or Treason. You can save the Homecoming series and the whole Alvin Maker series for after you're completely addicted.

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

I second Songmaster and Treason, and would also have to add Lovelocke (the book that truly hooked me ).
Eshe
Member # 1622

- posted      Profile for Eshe   Email Eshe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys, eh i already am adicted to OSC writing, just lacking the cash to read all of his stuff. So i just read what i do got (ender serious) over and over and over and...
Posts: 48 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.