FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Anyone Mormon? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Anyone Mormon?
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Your Mileage May Vary

I wasn't familiar with it before I saw Tom using it either. [Smile]

[ February 21, 2005, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Does this mean you investigated the church and found it wasn't for you? What was your experience?

Yep. A while back -- many years, now -- when I left the Baha'i Faith, I went looking at other churches that had interested me earlier. I found the LDS rather intriguing, and did the whole "read the BoM and ask the spirit" bit. Sadly, this came up completely empty. Zip. But since this has been my experience with all religions, it's also entirely possible that God has decided NOT to reveal Himself to me for reasons of His own; it's not a good indication that the church itself is broken.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting.

We tend to think the first attempts will work, much like my first attempt at speaking a foreign language. It takes time for such things, tuning the radio so to speak, and some seem to tune in faster than others. It can be frustrating when you feel naught but static.

(Allrighty, I used naught in a sentence.)

I wouldn't give up on it, though, regardless of what direction you eventually take. I'm biased toward the LDS faith, obviously, and I firmly believe that if one seeks with sincerity and real intent, having faith in Christ, they'll come to know it. I've seen it with myself and many others, but everyone's journey is different.

That's the problem with trying to learn by logic, though. It muddies the waters. Heaven knows I've tried and, though interesting, it's never as effective as consistently getting on my knees and working it out despite my ADD brain. :-)

Yet more unsolicited $0.02...

[ February 21, 2005, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: estavares ]

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Mormon? I'm from Earth!
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaaaand it's dead! I killed it, I killed it! I killed yet another thread.

</preemptive brag>

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
Awww you killed it! And I was just getting into it.

[Frown]

-steev

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, you could just add some interesting questions or observations to get the thing going still. On the other hand, this is "The Other Side" of the OSC Forums. Much slower.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleEly
Member # 6737

- posted      Profile for MichelleEly   Email MichelleEly         Edit/Delete Post 
Most religions are really fascinating. I like hearing about the beliefs of others; although anything with animal sacrifice I can do without. [Smile]

For the LDS(s:What is your favorite teaching/passage from the Book of Mormon?
Michelle

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
EDIT: Crap, I must have not noticed a new page or something [Smile] The post below applies to a much earlier part of the conversation, in which Michelle was reacting to some early teachings about Blacks and the priesthood.

Michelle, the bottom line is that while individuals believed some negative things about Blacks during that period, the ideas they taught we never codified as official church doctrine. In fact, when one church leader during that era attempted to put several of these ideas in a work of his called Mormon Doctrine, he was asked to remove them, and they did not appear beyond the first edition.

While the Mormon Church is often portrayed as authoritarian and highly-controlled, in truth, there is a lot of individual study and perspective that goes into Mormon belief, at every level. We believe that individuals have every right to personal revelation from God, and as a result, every Mormon has a slightly different idea of what we believe.

That feature of the Church is a two-edged sword. It means that getting involved in the study of Mormon doctrine can be a fascinating exercise in creative problem solving and speculation. I've heard my religion called (by outsiders) a "thinking man's Christianity". But it also means that in the course of pursuing such studies, many people at all levels of the Church will regularly have stupid ideas that get propogated as "folk doctrine" and can be difficult to distinguish from the "real doctrine" without a lot of study and experience.

[ February 21, 2005, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: A Rat Named Dog ]

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleEly
Member # 6737

- posted      Profile for MichelleEly   Email MichelleEly         Edit/Delete Post 
So the bottom line is that the part of the Chick pamphlet that implied it was official dogma that lesser souls are born with darker skin is not at all accurate?
Michelle

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So the bottom line is that the part of the Chick pamphlet that implied it was official dogma that lesser souls are born with darker skin is not at all accurate?
I didn't see the pamphlet in question, but yes, it is not at all accurate.

In the LDS church, we don't care about skin color, ethnicity, or whatever. It's irrelevant.

Having said that, there will always be the narrow minded idiots who think otherwise, but they would be going contrary to the teachings of the gospel.

Going back to the original question from the beginning of this thread, I have relatives who have told me - with quite a lot of anger and hostility - that my church is a cult, I'm a Satan worshipper, I'm going to burn in hell, and I'm the Anti-Christ - all because I'm LDS. Their churches taught them that, and they believe it. Unfortunate, but true. They are Baptists and Mennonites from western Canada. So it's not a geographical thing per se.

I have to admit that it mystifies me, why these churches spend so much time preaching about the evils of other religions rather than trying to teach their members how to be more Christ-like, or have more compassion, or kindness, or more about unconditional love, or any of a number of other things that would actually contribute to helping people develop themselves in a positive way. [Dont Know]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's completely false.

There have been cultural "folk tales" surrounding the subject, but it has never been church doctrine. For reasons never revealed, the gospel has always historically spread to people by degrees. There was a time when it could only be with the Jews themselves; later the charge was given to include the Gentiles. There's plenty of thought why this is, (and I have my own ideas) but it falls into the foggy land of speculation.

That Chick document was HILARIOUS. It's too bad he can't use his artistic talents toward something more productive...like drawing "Mary Worth" comics or something.

[ February 22, 2005, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: estavares ]

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichelleEly
Member # 6737

I dunno - Chick's world, while scary for everyone else, must be a fun place for Chick.

In his world he can have his alter egos be sanctimonious jackasses and - rather than being pariahs or beaten black and blue - people end up seeing their point.

Wish fulfillment, anyone?
Michelle

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I found the LDS rather intriguing, and did the whole "read the BoM and ask the spirit" bit. Sadly, this came up completely empty. Zip. But since this has been my experience with all religions, it's also entirely possible that God has decided NOT to reveal Himself to me for reasons of His own; it's not a good indication that the church itself is broken.
I did not know this story before. Hmm... I wonder what it would take it for you to try again. Something has to happen, I think. I don't think you're the one to ask about having it happen.

If it helps to know, I have gotten almost zero answers to prayers while on my knees. I've had them, but they almost always happened while actually reading the scriptures or at unexpected moments.

[ February 22, 2005, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.