FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Mithermages - Stonefather - The Lost Gate

Author Topic: Mithermages - Stonefather - The Lost Gate
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
So I’m in the middle of Stonefather which is a short story in this book:
Wizards: Magical Tales From the Masters of Modern Fantasy
http://www.amazon.com/Wizards-Magical-Masters-Modern-Fantasy/dp/0425215180/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196455678&sr=8-1

Guess it is from the Mithermages universe that “Sandmagic” (from the Maps in a Mirror) came from.

I guess this continues on in “The Lost Gate” next year:
http://www.hatrack.com/osc/bibliography/index.shtml
WORKS IN PROGRESS
The Lost Gate (a novel in the Mithermages universe [see also "Sandmagic" and "Stonefather"], Del Rey, 2008)

Scott talks a little about it in this interview:
http://www.sffworld.com/interview/213p0.html
Q: In light of the current market, are you tempted to write one of those enormous fantasy epics which continue to be the most successful series at the moment?
Not just tempted. I have wanted to do so for a long time. But I love working with contemporary fantasy, where characters from our world have to deal with magic from other times and places, as in Magic Street and Enchantment. So ... look for something rather soon from my "Mithermages" universe (only "Sandmagic" has been published from that world, though a soon-to-come anthology edited by Gardner Dozois will include the story "Stonefather," which is one of the best I've written in years).
Q: What project will you be tackling next?
Mithermages, as soon as I get the Ender Christmas book done. Not to mention my rewrite of Taming of the Shrew. And the retelling of Hamlet for a ghost-story anthology. Just little things.

WOW! Fun. Very exciting. Sandmagic was excellent and Stonefather is quite a page turner. I was up way to late cause I couldn’t put it down….. Thanks Scott….

I haven’t really seen much yet on in the forum or on the website about this. But it looks like it’s going to be BIG. Excellent! I need a new series to start on.

[ April 29, 2008, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender's Brother
Member # 11279

- posted      Profile for Ender's Brother   Email Ender's Brother         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I haven't read that series, your excitement has kind put me on edge and has made me want to go and start the series.

Sadly, I haven't really read all that much OSC, I've kinda just stuck to the ender world. But now, I've gotten an itch to go out and get everything, maybe you could help me Jay by providing me with a list of books to start me off...there are just too many to know where to start...ooh exciting...

Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Well, to be honest there hasn’t been an OSC book that I haven’t liked!
The Alvin Series is a must of course. Pastwatch is one of my favorites almost up there with Ender’s Game.

So far there is only two short stories in the Mithermages Universe. But the groundwork for a huge epic is all set.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be something I would like to read, more than likely. I will have to check out the short stories in that setting.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Cover for Lost Gate. Pretty sweet:

The Lost Gate

It says August. Cool. Need a new OSC book!

Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Just read Stonefather. Very interesting, though somewhat predictable in places. I'm looking forward to the Mithermages books. I'm going to have to go back and reread Sandmagic because its been so long I don't remember it. Somewhere else on this forum someone said (sorry, can't remember who) the book reminiscent of Treason. I agree about a certain aspect of the plot, but not the entire thing. There are certain tropes that OSC seems to like and have been repeated in one fashion or another in his works, and since I happen to like them, too, they don't bother me!

I clicked on the link above for Lost Gate. Apparently you can read it on a Kindle, but the book format will not be published until January 2011. [Frown]

Anybody else with thoughts about Stonefather?

Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops! Just read this about The Lost Gate. I'm wondering how the description on Amazon (see above) fits with the Mithermages world. Hmmmmmm.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunter
Member # 12422

- posted      Profile for Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this and by all means tell me if I'm not but I work at a bookstore and have just finished the Advanced Reader copy of The Lost Gate sent to us.

All I have to say is it is amazing and will be well worth the wait!

Also the release date is apparently January 4th and the cover art has also changed a bit.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.