FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » My spoiler-free kind-of review of Pathfinder and The Lost Gate

Author Topic: My spoiler-free kind-of review of Pathfinder and The Lost Gate
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Two different worlds await in Card's new series

Orson Scott Card has new stuff coming out? Ooh, I hope it's a coming-of-age novel about a teenage boy struggling to master his amazing abilities in a complicated and menacing world.

Actually, it's even better: It's two coming-of-age novels about teenage boys struggling to master their amazing abilities in a complicated and menacing world.

But "Pathfinder" (out last fall) and "The Lost Gate" (on sale today) are two very different books.

More...

I probably include fewer details than the respective book jackets so they're safe to read. Short version: Card is doing the sort of books he does better than anyone else. He's just doing two of them at the same time.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds great! I'm looking forward to reading both those.
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sold. Great review(s), Chris. I was wondering whether to dive into the series, but you made my mind up for me. Thanks!
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CountMiller
Member # 12436

- posted      Profile for CountMiller           Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished Lost Gate audio book today. Couldn't stop listening. And I'd also read Pathfinder within days of its release. Both are amazingly entertaining novels by my all time favorite author OSC. If you haven't picked them up yet, get off your computer and go get them.
At Chris, I like the review. Some of the things you mentioned stood out to me as well. The over repetition of time travels conundrums in Pathfinder, (anyone who grew up on StarTrek doesn't need these paradoxes spelled out half a dozen times) and also the unexpected language and sexuality found in Lost Gate. But the books are still great.
And if you've never listened to an OSC audiobook before I would recommend trying it out. My favorite part of the book many times is the Afterword actually read by OSC himself describing his process of writing and how the story came about. I know these are many times included in the printed versions but its interesting to here the author tell it in his own voice.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I very much enjoyed Pathfinder, and agree that it's good in a lot of the same ways that the best OSC books are.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm excited to churn through both books. I got an Amazon gift card for exactly the cost of both books. It was beautiful.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I may have satisfied my taste for that sort of writing. I got Pathfinder based in large part on that recommendation, but, while it doesn't have a lot of the problems plaguing other later OSC books, it was just sort of flat to me. I've read the other OSC books that are very similar to this and the "new" aspects in this book were a little too simple and clumsy for me to enjoy.

It was fine, but not much more than that for me.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mindbowels
Member # 7407

- posted      Profile for Mindbowels           Edit/Delete Post 
Another review of both books over at the WSJ
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703954004576089884087115742.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
I think I may have satisfied my taste for that sort of writing. I got Pathfinder based in large part on that recommendation, but, while it doesn't have a lot of the problems plaguing other later OSC books, it was just sort of flat to me. I've read the other OSC books that are very similar to this and the "new" aspects in this book were a little too simple and clumsy for me to enjoy.

It was fine, but not much more than that for me.

The first books in his series are almost never the best. I agree, this wasn't his best stuff, but I'm hoping that book 2 of the series will be another "Red Prophet". Or at least an entertaining read.

You must agree, the magical world in Pathfinder has lots of intriguing possibilities. We'll just have to see what he does with them.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the WSJ article, and while Pathfinder didn't totally grab me, the Lost Gate sounded interesting. I'll snag it when it comes out on paperback.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.