FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The TOR thing & why is the forum so dead?

Author Topic: The TOR thing & why is the forum so dead?
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel deceived. If I aren't much mistaken, the thread about enderverse reconciliation was 7 years old. And it just kind of disappeared. We've put some effort into it, I re-read the series and bought all of prequel books - partly because of this.

Why is this forum so dead? Is it because forums in general moved to facebook groups? Or is it because of OSC being ostricized? Or some other reasons?

Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In a nutshell: webforums are old tech in general, these forums in specific are not meaningfully moderated and have filled with spam, the regulars that used to post here years ago have largely moved on to other spaces (for multiple reasons), the "celebrity" name attached to the forum no longer interacts here or promotes the site, the hosting website rarely has any fresh content to attract visitors, and last year the only forum that might have had reason to draw new members -- the Writers' Workshop -- was officially shuttered.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hawser
Member # 13415

- posted      Profile for hawser           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
In a nutshell: webforums are old tech in general, these forums in specific are not meaningfully moderated and have filled with spam, the regulars that used to post here years ago have largely moved on to other spaces (for multiple reasons), the "celebrity" name attached to the forum no longer interacts here or promotes the site, the hosting website rarely has any fresh content to attract visitors, and last year the only forum that might have had reason to draw new members -- the Writers' Workshop -- was officially shuttered.

Most of them are on Facebook right now. That's how popular Facebook is right now.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In a nutshell: webforums are old tech in general, these forums in specific are not meaningfully moderated

Oof. Hardly seems fair to say, but I have not yet become power hungry enough to do something with these words.

[ January 29, 2021, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
quote:
In a nutshell: webforums are old tech in general, these forums in specific are not meaningfully moderated

Oof. Hardly seems fair to say, but I have not yet become power hungry enough to do something with these words.
“Power-hungry” isn’t a trait that most people associate with you, I’m willing to bet. But moderating this forum has never been a job that such personality types are attracted to. *shrug*
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DustinDopps
Member # 12640

- posted      Profile for DustinDopps           Edit/Delete Post 
First, I'm kind of glad to see some of those former super-posters gone. All they did was talk about politics and treat people they disagreed with like they were subpar intellectually.

Second, and more important, this is definitely old tech. I was a blogger for seven years and had a pretty good following, but Facebook effectively killed my blog. It was easier just posting quick, fun posts daily instead of thoughtful longer pieces. Then Twitter said "Let's do tiny posts!" and away the Internet went...

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't checked here in years. Hi everyone! Doesn't look like much is happening, but thought I'd stop in and see how it's going.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
We live on like cat-5 tumbleweeds in an electric desert.
Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
We live on like cat-5 tumbleweeds in an electric desert.

Shoot...cat-3. You can run 10/1 Ethernet over two-pair flat wire
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.