FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Joshua 1:9 -- The Mooselet Saga Continues... (4/29 Surgery Update) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Joshua 1:9 -- The Mooselet Saga Continues... (4/29 Surgery Update)
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous; do not be terrified, do not be discouraged: for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

Ok, those who have been here for a while have probably heard several episodes of the Mooselet Saga. When last we heard from our hero, his kidneys and urinary tract were doing fine, as were his feet. Last time we saw the urologist, he said the tests looked great, and we were gonna follow up with another test in three months (this was three months ago). The orthopedist said his feet were looking good, and that he only needed to wear the leg braces when he slept at night instead of all day, and we'd have a follow-up visit in six months (this was six months ago).

We meet with both the urologist and the orthopedist next week. We're going in relatively blind with the orthopedist -- no tests done, all we have are his feet to look at. Well, they look great. He's running and jumping and the feet look pretty straight. No worries on that front, right?

Not so much with the other. It was suggested that the possible reason for his recurring UTIs every time he went off antibiotics was because he wasn't circumcised, so he had that done a while ago (unpleasant, but we've moved past it). He was to remain on antibiotics until we saw his urologist again, so we haven't yet seen whether or not another UTI may happen.

We got the test results back today from his latest ultrasound, though. The fun excerpts:
quote:
Review of the films demonstrates now dilation of the renal collecting system on the right side.

The right kidney now shows an element of hydronephrosis. Previously the renal pelvis was dilated, now the renal collecting system shows mild dilation.

Summary: Interval development of mild to moderate right hydronephrosis in comparison with 2/6/03.

So from a layman's reading of this thing, it's back. We'll know more when we see the doctor next week.

But I gotta say -- it's getting really difficult not to be discouraged. Terrified we've already done, long ago, and hopefully we don't need to return to that stage. In the grand overarching universal scheme of things, we're ok -- we honestly do trust that all will work out. But in the day-to-day on-my-mind dealing with things realm, this is really tough, especially when we're also dealing with the normal stresses that go along with a new baby (entirely healthy so far, thankfully) in the house.

So anyway, there's your update -- that's where we are. As usual, prayers are always welcome.

--Pop

[Edit -- Thread Subject.]

[ April 29, 2004, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Papa Moose ]

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
And quite gladly given.

Thanks for the update, Papa. Hope Mooselet gets better sooner rather than later.

(((Mooselet and Family)))

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Lotsa hugs for Mooselet. [Smile]

I can't say I understand what you're going through, but I wish you all the best.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Prayers and e-hugs.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]

prayers coming yalls way

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there Moose. I know that you and your little family will be taken care of. I know everyone says it, but if it makes any difference, you 4 are in my prayers.

(((Mooses)))

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Mooselet)))) Lots of hugs for the little one, get better real soon!

((Mooses))

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
:: hugs ::
You'll be in my thoughts, as always.

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
*giant hug for all the Meese* And here I was surfing Hatrack, being all pissed that they are digging a giant hole in the middle of the road right next to our house in the middle of the night, interfering with my much-needed beauty sleep - this kinda puts my unhappiness and annoyance to shame. [Frown] I'm so sorry to hear that little Carl is facing more uncertain problems. I can't imagine what you and Squirrel must be going through. I'll be praying for all of you. Please continue to keep all of us updated on how things go. John 14:8

[ December 06, 2003, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry. I can't willingly imagine the degree of fear, frustration and sadness you guys are going through. Carl is so precious, it just seems so... mean that he has had to spend so much time in the hospital.

Even though it may seem like you guys are just too worn out to be able to face this new hurdle, you will. And you'll come through in your usual graceful style.

I've often told you how your and Connie's courage impress and inspire me. Thank you for that.

Of course you have my thoughts and prayers. Please let me know if I can do anything to help.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobbyK
Member # 5970

- posted      Profile for BobbyK   Email BobbyK         Edit/Delete Post 
My Thoughts and Best Wishes to you and your family.
((((((((dangermoooooose)))))))))

Posts: 213 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know you (well, IRL "know" you), but I love you Meeses. I have to believe that everything will turn out okay. I send you my strength and good wishes. I also pray. And hug. Lots of hugs.

(((meeses)))

I loves you Meeses to pieces!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be thinking about you.

Don't lose the hope. ((Moose family))

[ December 06, 2003, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Tell Mooselet to get better so I can come down and begin training him to become a world-class air hockey player.

Stay positive, Meese.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] *Hugs to the Moose family* He's a brave little Mooselet.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Mooselet))) I'll be praying for ya'll.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs*
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
((mooselet))

I hope all this trouble ends sometime soon.

In the meantime, he and you are in my prayers.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the prayers, e-hugs, well-wishes, both here and via e-mail. It's good to have a place we can go both to spill our problems and to receive support right here in the house. Hatrack rocks because of its members, not just its owners.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, is it possible for you to network with other parents going through similar adventures? I can commiserate to a degree, what with Rayne's hip issues. I found real help when I discovered a discussion group on yahoo that is made up exclusively of parents of kids with hip dysplasia. It has helped *enormously*, not only for support, but also for hearing other people's stories that in a lot of cases are far worse than ours. And some that are better and have good news to share. So I can see "it could be worse" and "it's going to get better" all at the same time. [Smile]

Even so, I think that being discouraged for a little while is okay. Having permission to be upset and discouraged is another part of what I got from this yahoo group....because I think some people (we got some "support" like this) think that we should just be grateful it isn't something lifethreatening. You feel what you feel, and sure while it's not life threatening, it is still stressful, and you still wish it wasn't happening.

I'm praying for you and Mama, Mooselet and Superstation. That this gets figured out swiftly, and resolved even faster. Big online hugs!

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Mooselet is such a great kid. I saw personally how well he runs & jumps, etc. No problems there for sure! I'll add my prayers to the mix. Tell Mooselet I said hi!

jeniwren...
that networking idea is a good one, I think. It might help to know what you're in for from a parent's perspective.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck, prayers and wishes. Get better soon, little Mooselet! We all love you! Our hatrack mascot!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

To be honest, every time I've looked in on other parents going through the same thing (at other on-line forums), it either seems to be a battle over whose kid has it the worst, or lots of people talking and nobody listening, or at least nobody really responding or seeming to care. That's undoubtedly a horrendous unfair snap judgement based on only a few places, I realize -- but I've never felt the need to have someone who has gone through the same exact thing to talk to. It's not the specifics -- it's the underlying helplessness and frustration, and there are plenty of people here in my on-line family who've felt that under different circumstances. That's enough for me. It's more helpful, actually, because my mind gets occupied by considering the relation between unlike things.

That said, thank you for the suggestions. I always know places I can go if I want to hear about people who have it worse. Sadly, just thinking about our hosts' experiences can plenty take care of it. Superstation's middle name, in fact, is in honor of their departed son. Never would we claim our troubles are the worst at Hatrack.

But as I'm sure is the case with the Cards, the joy in our children has always outweighed the heartache, and we wouldn't choose for even the briefest moment to trade places with anyone. Again, thank you all, and keep those cards and letters coming....

--Pop

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs* Meeses

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop,

I'm kinda new here so I missed the beginning of the struggles you're going through with Mooselet's health issues.

I've never been a parent, and at my age (and the age of Diane), it's a sure bet that's one experience I'll have missed in life.

Hoping that it might be helpful, I thought I'd let you know that both Diane and myself had health/disability issues as kids that put our own two sets of parents in much of the same state of helplessness and uncertainty.

For the first few years of my life, my parents weren't really sure if I'd get to live very long. My partner, Diane, was misdiagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (she has a different, nonfatal condition) and her parents believed for many years she wouldn't live past her teen years.

Regardless of the prognosis, we both went through a lot of scary medical stuff as children. Lots of hospital visits, surgeries, etc.

For what it's worth, there's some commonality we've found in our childhoods:

We both remember our childhoods as happy ones.

The medical stuff - even the pain - was ultimately much harder on our parents than it was on us as individuals. Although children are as variable as the adults we grow into are, we do tend to be more adaptable and accepting of these things than when they happen to us as adults. (and of course, it's easier when it's us it's happening to than a parent.)

Everything I've seen from you indicates you and Squirrel can navigate this with grace and strength. I apologize for the rambling nature of this particular post. It's meant to be supportive - I hope it is in some way.

[ December 06, 2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Arrrggg!! My prayers will be with you and Mooslet.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
((((((((((Moose family))))))))))
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
((((Moose Family))))
My prayers are with you.

Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
*Hugs* to the Moose and Squirrel family

*Hugs* to Mooselet, who I am sure is doing a fabulous job as an older brother right now.

*Hugs* to two great parents, who have as much strength and grace as they do love.

*Hugs* to the newest little member just because.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Hope everything works out for the best for the little Mooselet.

Our family's prayers and hugs are with you.

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

(((((all the Meese)))))

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry to hear your discouraging news. Y'all are in my thoughts and in my prayers.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((((Papa Moose, Mama Squirrel, Mooset and Superstation))))))))
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Moose, Squirrel, and little'uns, you'll be in my prayers.

*sad for you
[Frown]

(he's already been through ureteral reimplantation, correct?)

[ December 07, 2003, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I will pray for your family. I know discouragement and frustration. Hang in there and let God carry some of that burden for you.

(((hugs)))

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

CT, I'm not sure what ureteral reimplantation is, for sure. As far as I understand, they never disconnected the ureter. He had the vesicostomy, and the blockage from the posterior urethral valves was complete, so everything came out his sub-bellybutton. A year later they resected the valves and closed the vesicostomy. So it seems similar in effect to what a ureteral reimplantation sounds like to me, except that they never had to disconnect and reconnect the ureter.

Just because we didn't already have enough to worry about, he had some blood in his stool today, too. We called the clinic that's open on weekends, and they said to watch for the next one and see if there's blood again, and if so to call back, but he didn't have another dirty diaper today. Either way, we're calling the pediatrician tomorrow. Personally I think Mama's dealing with things much better than I am (I don't think she cried at all today, versus the three times I did), but neither of us is exactly cheery. Adding to this that we went to a wake this afternoon and will be attending a funeral tomorrow morning, this just hasn't been a really good time for us.

Good thing we have Hatrack....

--Pop

Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man.

You're Super Pop, and Squirrel is Super Mom. You guys will be fine, because you're awesome, but in the meantime know that I'm thinking about your whole family.

Poor little Carl. Give him a squeeze for me.

[ December 08, 2003, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Crying is a healthy release. 'Leastways, that's what I always tell myself.

*many hugs and many prayers*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((((((((((Papa Moose))))))))))))))

I'll be praying for you.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
(((the whole herd of moose)))

Take care, all of you.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, that is discouraging. You and your family are in my prayers.

I know what you mean about Hatrack being a good place to for company. It doesn't matter that anyone's going through the exact same thing (although many have) - this is just a good place for love and support when you need it, and a good place to extend love and support when you're able to give it. You give out so much love and support here, it's an absolute honor to included in some of the trials. [Smile] I apologize if that sounded awkward; I mean, I'm so glad the Meese are here.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, I hate that Mooslet, you, and Squirrel are having to go through this. I'll definitely be thinking of you.

sndrake, if I were in Pop's position, your message would have been exactly what I needed to hear. It didn't seem rambling at all, for what it's worth.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of hugs for the Moose and Squirrel family.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Moose family)))
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] (hugs for the whole family)
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Papa, I will track down information for you. It might be the definitive procedure to which you are heading.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man... I'm really sorry to hear this, Pop. All my best to you, Connie, Carl, and Timothy. You're all in my thoughts.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Mooselet and [Frown] for you and Mama Squirrel.

I hope everything turns out alright - if the amount of well wishing from hatrackers all over has anything to do with it, I'm sure it will.

My best wishes.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

To the hospital to hear from the doc. Updates later today, most likely.

CT, I'd still like to hear what you have regarding ureteral reimplantation, even though if it is the likely procedure we may hear about it today from the urologist. Thanks.

--Pop

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.