FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Proving My Mother Wrong, or What color kitchen do I want?

Author Topic: Proving My Mother Wrong, or What color kitchen do I want?
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, Dear Hatrack, I'm getting married and moving to the Czech Republic.

Well, staying here rather. Stop quibbling.

Yesterday afternoon my beloved invited me to his apartment so he could cook me lunch. We had a traditional Slovak dish, milk, a rose, candlelight and an engagement ring. [Smile] We called my mother, who cried, and his mother, who cried. We called my grandmother, who just received the letter he wrote her, which made her, her sister my great-aunt, and my cousin cry. He doesn't, however, make me cry. We're too busy laughing, mainly. [Smile]

Tax lawyer. Dignified and professional looking to people who don't know him as well as I do. Is willing and in fact enjoys discussing minor points of medieval history with me. Completely adores me. As smart as me. Respects his mother.

He reads about as much as I do. Our apartment theme will be bookshelves. He passed the EG test - asked me to recommend a book so I lent him Ender's Game, which he took with a "science fiction how nice this looks fascinating really it does" kind of attitude. Two days later, it was "this is actually kind of entertaining." Four days later, it was "OH MY GOODNESS WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU LEFT THE SEQUEL IN YOUR MOTHER'S GARAGE I MUST HAVE IT NOW." After he read EG and the next three, I casually let 'Hatrack' drop in conversation. I was extremely nervous he'd think I was insane. He liked us, though, and even joined eventually. One guess who. [Smile]

My mother has been saying for the past couple of years that I'm past my expiration date and never going to get married because I'm mean/intimidating/don't wear enough makeup. She also started planning my wedding, which is going to be end of August (US) / beginning of September (Prague), about two months ago when we told her we were quite likely to get engaged this spring. She won't leave me alone about things like bridesmaid dress colors, kitchen colors, bathroom colors, to which I answer a uniform "I don't know, whatever."

More later as I think of it. [Smile]

[ March 14, 2004, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Lissande ]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, my dear. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations !

((((Lissande))))

Gotta go, I've a quest to fulfill !
[low voice] Now who could that guy be ?![/low voice]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Gotcha !

Tzadik , welcome to Hatrack ! [Wave]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
so I lent him Ender's Game, which he took with a "science fiction how nice this looks fascinating really it does" kind of attitude
[ROFL]
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who gets that same look when recommending that book!

EDIT: And OMG! Congrats!!!

[ March 14, 2004, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Valentine014 ]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*applause* [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Lissande!!
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Long expected but no less wonderful! My best wishes to you both.

As for kitchens, I went with the white cabinets with brightly colored decorative tiles every so often against the background of white tiles, white countertops with natural oak trim, and I love the way it looks. My dining room / living room (which is really one big room across the whole back of the house) is painted wedgewood blue with white trim. [Smile] I love it too so that's my decorating suggestion.

You didn't even tell them he's tackling Lord of the Rings. He's obviously passing all the tests! [Smile]

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Congratulations to both of you!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

And to think I discussed engagement plans with Tzadik via parachat - I never knew you were the intended, Lissande! Sneaky people... [Wink]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful news. [Smile] Best wishes to you both.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Congratulations! What wonderful news!

[The Wave]
[The Wave]
[The Wave]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!! Lissande and Tzadik!

[The Wave]

[Party]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! May you have a long and happy life together.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tzadik
Member # 5825

- posted      Profile for Tzadik   Email Tzadik         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear all - thank you so much! I know some of you more, some less, some - only through lissande. We are so glad to be sharing our joy with you.

My parents and family as well gave up all the hope for me ever getting married. So this is a shock, a good shock for them all. Just as it is for me still [Smile]

BTW - if any of you ever wanders in central Europe - make sure to stop in Prague, ok? And make sure to let us know [Smile]

Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! [Big Grin]

And Tzadik, I already did the wander through Europe, visit Prague, crash on Lissa's couch thing. And had a fantastic time, too. [Smile]

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

*needs to come to Prague one day*

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

Thanks everyone [Smile] [Smile]

ak, he's already a LOTR fan, and is even reading Macbeth! How could this man possibly not be for me?

Kama, How about the first Saturday in September? Of course we might not be able to put you up that night. [Big Grin]

[ March 15, 2004, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: Lissande ]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Am I being invited to the wedding? [Eek!]

It might just work... It will be a week after I come back from the US, but it might just work...

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tzadik
Member # 5825

Czest Kama, come to Prague - for the wedding or whenever you feel like it. Would be great to have you here. BTW, where from Poland are you from? [Smile]
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Tzadik, i hope this will answer your question.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Hugs Lissa)))))

What wonderful news! Mazel Tov to you both!!! [Big Grin]

Psst - does Tzadik's aim work? [Wink]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

Yay!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Aww, Corwin read my landmark [Smile]

Yes, I'm from Tychy, which is quite close to Tesin (I've been there a few times), and about 7-8 hours drive from Prague [Smile]

Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic and wonderful! Congrats to you both:

For your kitchen, I suggest sage green.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Krtek
Member # 6329

- posted      Profile for Krtek   Email Krtek         Edit/Delete Post 
Jej!

[Wave]

[Wink]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations and many blessings to you both.

[Smile]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tzadik
Member # 5825

Thank y'all [Smile] So great that you share with us our joy! You guys are wonderful [Smile]
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

My dad was in Prague not too long ago.

Edit: I vote green.

[ March 16, 2004, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Miro ]

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW.

Just... WOW.

[Big Grin] I'm sooo happy for you, Lissande! Nice to meet you Tzadik. We love Lissande around here, so you must be okay , too. [Wink]

[Group Hug]

[Party]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Thank you [Kiss] everybody

I still can't believe I'm actually wearing this ring. It was a tricky road getting here, keeping everybody happy, but we worked it out and WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I'm getting married to my favorite person!

You will hardly be surprised, knowing me, to learn that immediately after getting engaged I got a horrendous sore throat and, sadly, gave it to Tzadik. Just my body telling me, "Enough of this sappiness! Let's see you give sweet kisses when you CAN'T SWALLOW!! HA!!" In sickness and in health starts now, I guess. [Big Grin]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a cool thread!

I missed it the first time because we didn't have internet at the time, so thank you, Lissande, for bringing it to my attention. [Smile] And congrats!

And how is married life now? You've had at least one anniversary... Or have you chopped up Tzadik and tossed him in the freezer like Fahim keeps threatening to do with me? [Razz]

[Smile] I love stories like this. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I forgot to ask! What color kitchen did you end up with? I vote yellow. Bright, bright yellow. [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

He likes the freezer, I really don't think he minds it at all. I'm sure you'd get used to it... [Big Grin]

I think I ended up telling people blue (and maybe yellow?) for bathroom and kitchen, but that had very little influence on what people actually gave us, except for the very nice navy blue towels we had to haul across the Atlantic, so my kitchen is sort of...kitchen-colored. White, mostly, even the dishes.

And I was thinking yesterday that next month will be a year and a half since our wedding. The bookshelves are already totally full. Matus and I have both progressed from the "When are you getting married?" parental harassment to the "When are you giving me grandchildren?" harassment, which is at least a change. When we have a definitive answer on the second, maybe I'll post another thread. [Smile]

Lissande
Member # 350

And married life is wonderful. It seemed like we just fell into being married - I remember thinking, Yes, this is what I've been missing, this is where I'm supposed to be. It was such a relief to feel like I was finally living the life I was meant to live! Marrying Tzadik was definitely the right decision for me.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Lissande, I completely and totally understand. [Smile] And it's really cool - and wonderful! - when it works out that way. I'm so happy for you!

(Fahim and I haven't been getting the "when are you having kids?" questions from any relatives. I think it helps that his mother doesn't speak English, so my communication with her is... limited. And maybe we are being harrassed, but Fahim doesn't tell me. [Dont Know] The only people I get harrassed about that are people who don't know me well.)

Lissande
Member # 350

...so quid, when are you having kids?? [Big Grin]

I have a friend, also in a cross-cultural marriage, who got married a year before me, and we ask each other that all the time. Or rather, "Are you pregnant?" every time one of us mentions being hot, cold, hungry, tired, etc. That's what everyone else we know does, after all. [Smile]

And let's hear it for mothers-in-law who don't speak English! I am convinced that's why my in-laws love me so much - especially in the beginning, I just sat there and smiled sweetly. (And when I do talk, it's in that sexy foreign accent of mine...) I can see them asking Tzadik in a few years whatever happened to that sweet, quiet creature who was their daughter-in-law.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Is this where I mention, yet again, that I'm going through perimenopause? [Big Grin] Despite being in my thirties?

[ROFL] Finally, someone who understands my situation!

When we go over there, or they come over here, it starts out in English, but quickly switches to Sinhalese, and stays there for pretty much the rest of evening. And then Fahim doesn't understand why I've stopped paying attention to the conversations, so I miss when things actually are said in English. *le sigh*

Lissande
Member # 350

It is pretty exhausting listening to a conversation in a foreign language, especially when you understand just a little bit. I had an attention-span problem for a long time, when I was at the partial-understanding stage. It was bad when I had to admit that I didn't know what was going on, not because I misunderstood a word or something, but because I wasn't listening. *blush*

You and Fahim should learn Hebrew, or Spanish, or sign language, or some other language neither of you speak, so that you can be on an even plane. We considered that briefly. [Smile]

(Not that I'd actually do it in marriage, but I do have a friend from Uruguay who prefers to speak Czech with me so that we're both at an equal disadvantage, neither speaking our native language - though I have to insist that Miss I've-lived-in-Prague-for-ten-years still has a big advantage over me...) [Embarrassed]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Um, problem is, it'd take him about two weeks to learn it, and me two decades. [Roll Eyes] He's freakishly good with languages to the point that I'd love to beat him.

No, no, I need to learn Sinhalese. I really do. *sigh* I just need to actually do it. Sometime. Soon.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.