FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hope (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hope
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope is a state of mind, not of the world . . . Either we have hope or we don't; it is a dimension of the soul, and it's not essentially dependent on some particular observation of the world or estimate of the situation.

Hope is not prognostication. It is an orientation of the spirit, an orientation of the heart; it transcends the world that is immediately experienced, and is anchored somewhere beyond its horizons . . .

Hope, in this deep and powerful sense, is not the same as joy that things are going well, or willingness to invest in enterprises that are obviously heading for success, but rather an ability to work for something because it is good, not just because it stands a chance to succeed. The more unpropitious the situation in which we demonstrate hope, the deeper the hope is.

Hope is definitely not the same thing as optimism. It is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out.

Vaclav Havel

[ October 09, 2004, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

"Wherefore, ye must press forward ... having a perfect brightness of hope.." 2Ne.31:20
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

"Everything that is done in the world is done by hope."
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

"I claim to be an average man of less than average ability. I have not the shadow of a doubt that any man or woman can achieve what I have, if he or she would make the same effort and cultivate the same hope and faith."
Mohandas Gandhi

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hope climbs atop of the piano
Reaching out towards the warmth of the sun.
And some man tries to ask her down
Well now maybe that's where she belongs.
'My God,' she said,
'I'm the sunflower that wants.'
'My God,' he said,
'this woman is gone.'
Into the dark,
'Is there anybody there?'
'My God!' she said.
'My God!' she said.
'My God!' she said.
'My God!' she said."

Our Lady Peace

Oh wait. Wrong Hope? My bad.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
"Remember, Red. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hope Is The Thing With Feathers"
by Emily Dickinson.

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end.

Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened?

But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come.

And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer.

Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why.

But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn’t. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding on to, Sam?

That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.

-- Sam's "speech" at the end of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast..."

Alexander Pope

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope is the drug of choice among optimists.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

"He who has health has hope; and he who has hope has everything." Arabian Proverb
Tatiana
Member # 6776

"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance but live right in it, under its roof."
--Barbara Kingsolver

Tatiana
Member # 6776

"Your hopes, dreams and aspirations are legitimate. They are trying to take you airborne, above the clouds, above the storms, if you only let them."
--William James

Tatiana
Member # 6776

"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."
--Albert Camus

Tatiana
Member # 6776

"Joy is not in things; it is in us."
-- Richard Wagner

Tatiana
Member # 6776

"Hope is the companion of power, and mother of success; for whoso hopes strongly has within him the gift of miracles."
-- Samuel Smiles

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
"An Optimist is a man who looks after your eyes. A pessimist is a man who looks after your feet."
- an Anonymous English Lass

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

"Our greatest good, and what we least can spare, is hope."
-- Abraham Cowley

Tatiana
Member # 6776

"He who does not hope to win has already lost."
-- Jose Joaquin Olmedo

Tatiana
Member # 6776

"Hope is itself a species of happiness and, perhaps, the chief happiness which this world affords."
-- Samuel Johnson

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
"What I was afraid to face for so long, what M. is still afraid to face, is the idea that love might be real. I think because if love is real then that means the hatred we both experienced so deeply is real, too. So we both built these images saying "people will like me if I'm *this*" and tried to be them, but of course we couldn't.

God and K. both came along saying "let go of that nonsense and you will find that you *are* loved". I had trouble hearing either one at first, but was eventually able to and able to trust that they were both genuinely on my side... and through K.'s instruction have managed to find God's grace and love... managed to find faith... real faith... in love. A mustard grain perhaps, but that's all it takes, isn't it?"

-Me, earlier today

"And now abide these three: faith, hope, and love"

-St. Paul, a few years ago

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
"most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all."
-Dale Carnegie

Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

quote:
..."the story the oversoul tells me fits all the facts that I see. Your story, in which I'm endlessly deceived, can also explain all those facts. I have no way of knowing that your story is not true-but you have no way of knowing that my story isn't true. So I will choose the one that I love. I will choose the one that, if it's true, makes this reality one worth living in. I'll act as if the life I hope for is real life,and the life that disgusts me-your life, your view of life-is the lie."

The Call of Earth
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

quote:
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
Albert Einstein

(okay, that one was not so much about hope, it really just had the word hope in it)

Grisha
Member # 6871

quote:
Or at least she hoped it with such fervor that it felt like certainty.
---Ender's Shadow
Grisha
Member # 6871

Hope

n 1: a specific instance of feeling hopeful; "it revived their hope of winning the pennant" 2: the general feeling that some desire will be fulfilled; "in spite of his troubles he never gave up hope" [ant: despair] 3: grounds for feeling hopeful about the future; "there is little or no promise that he will recover" [syn: promise] 4: someone (or something) on which expectations are centered; "he was their best hope for a victory" 5: United States comedian (born in England) who appeared in films with Bing Crosby (born in 1903) [syn: Hope, Bob Hope, Leslie Townes Hope] 6: one of the three Christian virtues v 1: expect and wish; "I trust you will behave better from now on"; "I hope she understands that she cannot expect a raise" [syn: trust, desire] 2: be optimistic; be full of hope; have hopes; "I am still hoping that all will turn out well" [ant: despair] 3: intend with some possibility of fulfilment; "I hope to have finished this work by tomorrow evening"

tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
"And I say this to you tonight, let us not forget. There is Hope!" - The Crystal Method
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

" Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible."
Grisha
Member # 6871

"to the lights and towns below
faster than the speed of sound
faster than we thought we'd go, beneath the sound of hope" -The Smashing Pumpkins

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
"Hope clouds observation."
--Dune

[Razz]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
That was beautiful, AK.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! I needed this today!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
"There is still hope."

Yes. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know what a triangle is? It is as inexorable as destiny. There is only one shape that can be made up of the given parts. And hope, the illusion of unpredictable possibilities that so often confuses our hearts, vanishes like an hallucination before these three lines. Thus, and thus only, says geometry.

-Don Juan or the Love of Geometry

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And Hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us -- Romans 5:5

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
"Hope is the denial of reality."
-Margaret Weis

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Turandot:
Straniero, ascolta:
"Nella cupa notte vola un fantasma iridescente.
Sale e spiega l'ale sulla nera infinita umanità.
Tutto il mondo l'invoca e tutto il mondo l'implora.
Ma il fantasma sparisce coll'aurora
per rinascere nel cuore.
Ed ogni notte nasce
ed ogni giorno muore!"

Calaf:
Sì! Rinasce! Rinasce e in esultanza
mi porta via con sé, Turandot: La Speranza!

I Sapienti:
La Speranza! La Speranza! La Speranza!

Turandot:
Sì, la speranza che delude sempre!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

<tries to remember hope>
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Warm hugs, Tatiana. [Kiss] <---see? And kisses too.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have anything to add to this, except to say this: after all of the disheartening things that have been on the news lately, this is a very appreciated topic.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
"Hope is Freedom"

Five Iron Frenzy

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
"Peace fills us
By Hope we steer
Our dark hearts salvaged
We live without fear"

More Five Iron Frenzy

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Se pierde la memoria
todo vuelve a empezar
me olvido de la piedra
y me vuelvo a tropezar
el miedo, el egoísmo
el prejuicio racial
y siempre habrá una historia
para justificar.

Que somos diferentes
no lo voy a objetar
respeto tus creencias
tu forma de pensar
pero algo estoy seguro
y no lo puedes negar
que todos somos hijos
de un mismo papá.

El fin de la guerra
Papadió
la paz en mi tierra
Papadió
mi escudo y mi lanza
Papadió
toda mi esperanza
Papadió

-Carlos Vives

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Bump for President Elect Obama. <cheers>
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a dream,
When I was young,
A dream of sweet illusion,
A glimpse of hope and unity,
And visions of one sweet union

-Queen, One Vision

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed this last time around, but I have a contribution.

quote:
"Hope is real. In a time of global chaos and instability where our faiths collide, as often as our weapons, hope is real.... There is such a thing as false science, there is such a thing as false promises, I am sure I will have my share of false starts. But there is no such thing as false hope. There is only hope."
West Wing Season 6 - "Faith Based Initiatives"
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope is naught but prelude to despair.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
While there is life, there is hope. And while there is hope there is life."
The Doctor

(or at least as nearly as I can recall. If he didn't say it, he should)

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
The Architect: "Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness."

Neo: "If I were you, I would hope we don't meet again."

The Architect: "We won't."

Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.