FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Post 666: The Anti-Landmark

Author Topic: Post 666: The Anti-Landmark
Trisha the Severe Hottie
Member # 6000

- posted      Profile for Trisha the Severe Hottie   Email Trisha the Severe Hottie         Edit/Delete Post 
Why indeed should we have a special feeling about any particular number?

Now that I have your attention, I thought I'd share the quote that caused me to come back to Hatrack:

This Christmas, mend a quarrel.
Seek out a forgotten friend.
Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust.
Write a letter.
Give a soft answer.
Encourage youth.
Manifest your loyalty in word and deed.
Forgive an enemy.
Apologize.
Try to understand.
Examine your demands on others.
Think first of someone else.
Be kind.
Be gentle.
Laugh a little more.
Express your gratitude.
Welcome a stranger.
Gladden the heart of a child.
Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the Earth.
Speak your love and speak it again.
Christmas is a celebration, and there is no celebration that compares with the realization of its true meaning with the sudden stirring of the heart that has extended itself unselfishly in the things that matter most.

--Howard W. Hunter.

I haven't worked very hard at some of these things while I've been here. And it was only in retyping it that I noticed "Welcome a stranger."

It is time for me to begin to be the change I wish to see. So I'll be hanging up these digs for a while and going back to a screen name I feel suits hatrack better.

Posts: 666 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Score! Pooka is coming back...

I remember the first time you and exchanged thoughts, you were trying to be a grinch and told me that I'd disappear when Raia and I broke up. I told you that you could consider me a permeant resident. LOL

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to have you back. Cool to know the reasons. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Stryker, I remember that. [Smile]
Actually, the first time I heard this quote I was thinking to myself "I'm doing pretty well in the no grudges department." But after posting in Teshi's LOTR carols thread I became conficted about whether to post more on Hatrack. I was so riled up by what I had done and memories of my perceived injuries, and I recalled the quote.

I picked up this membername during Pat and Jon Boy's rush to 5000, But I've hardly used it because I wanted to be free to be clever. Strangely, the pooka name should have been that way. If you watch Harvey, you may understand.

So I"ll begin again to try to use some other advice I picked up a church. Before speaking, consider 3 things. Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Maybe it's "Just a fool's paradise" but I'm going to give it a try.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
*groan*

Can someone remake the screen name scorecard ?

It'll help the new folks and save me from having a stroke trying to remember who everyone's third screen name is...... [Dont Know] [Wall Bash]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]

You forgot to mention that you're a hatrack addict.

Just like the rest of us.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Not me. I can stop any time I want to!

I just can't want to.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you came back...and now I don't know what to call you. [Big Grin] But I'm glad you're here and I love that quote!

Best advice of the week: Think three times before you speak/post -- Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind?

[ January 15, 2005, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Zamphyr, multiple screen names used to be much common. They are considered rather gauche these days, which is why I went to the trouble of digging up this one instead of registering again.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll say hi when I figure out what handle she'll be using. [Smile] Right now, we should be saying "bye" to Trisha.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

Trisha, pooka and me are all the same person.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
>_<

I had just made the mental adjustment of replacing "pooka" with "Trisha," and now I need to switch that to "mothertree"?

[Grumble]

Good thing I like you, Tr-- mothertree. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

Ironically, this is the lowest member number of any of those.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, mothertree, wasn't a dig at you. Indeed, I've been able to follow along thanks to threads like this. [Wave]

It was more of a reminder to old folks, and other troubled posters that may soon be rebranding themselves, that newcomers may not be aware multiple logins are not only possible but frequently used. It's tough enough for a newbie to learn all the complex relationships here, let alone remembering that x used to y who changed their name from z because a (who used to be b but no longer posts here) insulted them at some point.

Maybe a Hatrack family tree explaining how everyone knows each other is in order. With all the sibling-type rivalry and occassional bickering that breaks out, not to mention the marraiges, this place can be more confusing than a Kentucky family reunion.

No actual offense ment to residents of Kentucky.....but you are the only state I know of where folks have inbred 'till blue. [Evil]

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I do dig your new name...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Pooka is a round shaped creature who can only kill you by touch.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

Thanks, syn. Syn digs me and skillery dig dugs me.

P.S. I just saw Justa in Papa Moose's thread and remembered why I found Teshi's LOTR thread in the first place. I saw something in the paper that reminded me of Justa notha name so I was checking to see if s/he was still around.

[ January 16, 2005, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you watch Harvey, you may understand.
I'm *in* Harvey!

I'm playing Wilson, and it's a very fun role. [Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, it feels even weirder calling you mother than it feels calling you pooka or a hottie.

But I'll do my best to call my by th ename you choose. I've been glad to have you back on Hatrack.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you watch Harvey, you may understand.
If Hobbes would ever have me over so I *could* watch Harvey and eat delicious cinnamon rolls, I would! [Grumble]
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

mt is fine. Say it out loud and made someone laugh. [Smile]
P.S. I don't get mad if folks call me an older name. If it still bothered me I wouldn't have come back to Hatrack, or done so in a way to keep my ID secret.

[ January 17, 2005, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: mothertree ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.