FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Blood Vessels Recovered from T. Rex Bone (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Blood Vessels Recovered from T. Rex Bone
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Palaeontologists have extracted soft, flexible structures that appear to be blood vessels from the bone of a Tyrannosaurus rex that died 68 million years ago. They also have found small red microstructures that resemble red blood cells.

Wow.

[Edited because the link was kind of hidden]

[ March 24, 2005, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a linky? I'm sure my son would love to read an article. That's so cool!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

The emoticon is a link, sorry.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Thanks

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow… how could something so old, so many millions of years old last so long?

Is there any chance it’s not that old?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
They can now clone dinosaurs and ruin the world just like the guy in Jurassic Park . [Wall Bash]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually kinda hoping they do clone a T-Rex. I'm curious to see which school of thought wins out on just how much of a predator the T-Rex actually was.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

But the danger! [Angst] I'm just kidding. It could be really cool. It would be tons of tax payer's dollars though.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Taxpayer dollars? Are you kidding? Some nut would fund it just so he could be in the history books as the nut who funded it.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Jay--nah, I don't think there's much debate as to the age of the fossil they extracted the tissue from. Sounds like although this one was unusually well preserved, they expect to be able to make similar extractions from quite a few fossils that have already been found.
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
no make a mini Trex the size of a chicken or ostrich. it would be easier to control. [Dont Know] [Blushing]
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*pictures walking a little t-rex*
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Yeah, it couldn’t be a younger fossil cause that wouldn’t fit into the evolution timeline would it?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I don't think you'd want to keep your mini-T Rex and your bunny in the same room Syn. [Smile]
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought, as soon as I saw this thread, "Oh, no, now they're going to build Jurassic Park!"

[Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
they can be used for getting rid of rats and other pests.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Bah. I'm getting my baby T-Rex a flamethrower!

[Big Grin]

-Trevor

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Like the founder of Jurassic Park started with miniature elephants? I still don't think that would work......
Noemon
Member # 1115

I don't know of any evidence to support anything like that Jay--the article certainly doesn't discuss anything of the sort. It gives the fossil's ate at 68 million years. I expect that if it had been found in an unexpected strata or something that in and of itself would have been huge news, don't you?
Noemon
Member # 1115

Trevor, I'll bet my mini-T. Rex could burninate your mini-T. Rex.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Okay, I was just looking at the enlarged picture of the tissue they managed to extract, and found myself musing about what it would taste like. I just squicked myself out.

In my defense, it does kind of look like fried food of some sort.

[ March 24, 2005, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Megan
Member # 5290

Heh. I'm gonna get a velociraptor sized to 50%. He'll eat both your T-rexes alive!

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Even in Jurassic Park they weren't 100% real, they were mixed with frog DNA. I'd highly doubt they could find enough intact DNA to create a viable sequence that could be cloned. They'd have to get real lucky. Even DNA found in frozen wooly mammoths, which are better preserved and for that matter more recent, aren't viable for cloning.

Still, it'd be cool to see. If they could clone one, I think they should, but I don't think it would tell us much about prehistoric dinosaur behavior, unless we did in fact create a Jurassic park type environment. I believe in the school of thought that depicts T-Rex's as scavangers though, rather than hunters.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Bah, have you no poetry? Nothing eats Godzilla Junior!

Velociraptors are just larger and hairless cats. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Jay
Member # 5786

Well of course the article isn’t going to say anything about the possibility of its age not being in the millions of years. That would mess everything up. Yet the faith it takes for something to be so well preserved yet be millions of years old is beyond comprehension. A million years is long enough, but for it to be 68 million years old and still be preserved. GE need to look at this and get it into their freezers.
Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
Still, it'd be cool to see. If they could clone one, I think they should, but I don't think it would tell us much about prehistoric dinosaur behavior, unless we did in fact create a Jurassic park type environment.
Indeed...and wouldn't that sort of thing be interesting for the whole nuture-vs.-nature thing?

And Jay, dude, just chill out and let us have our dinosaur fun. [Razz]

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Well of course the article isn’t going to say anything about the possibility of its age not being in the millions of years. That would mess everything up.
Oh, of course not. Everyone knows that "science" is really just dedicated to fooling the masses and preserving the status quo. [Roll Eyes]

[ March 24, 2005, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, don't you get it? The evolutionists are a psuedo-scientific cult, who ignore any and evidence in their mission to convert the world to their Satan-inspired dogma.

-Bok

EDIT: Dang, you all post too quicky, and yet I anticipated Jay's response pretty well!

[ March 24, 2005, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Bokonon ]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

I’m excited about this find. Anything that shows a young Earth is always exciting to me. I’m all for dinosaur fun. Can’t wait for them to make Jurassic Park, but I think a more accurate one would be the Preflood Park. I’m all for science. I just like it to reflect what actually happened in the past. Not what someone wants to think happened so that we can remove God from everything in our lives.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Huh.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know how much the Pope and the rest of the Catholic church hate God, not to mention those (various denominations of) Christian scientists who find the evidence overwhelmingly in favor of evolution.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Jay...what if it turns out you're wrong, and the dating is accurate, and the earth is that old? People believe this because there's scientific evidence supporting it not because they want to "remove God from everything in our lives."

Just because you refuse to acknowledge science doesn't mean that the people who do have their heads in the sand--quite the opposite, since they're believing things for which there are empirical evidence.

I see your persecution complex is flaring up again. Let me get you some ointment for that! [Big Grin]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Guys, in my experience there is really very little use in arguing with somebody with Jay's mindset on an issue like this. He's decided what he thinks is true, and nothing you say to him is going to sway him at all. Seriously, I wouldn't bother.
Megan
Member # 5290

Noemon, you're right, I know you're right...but sometimes, you scratch the itch, even when you know you shouldn't. [Dont Know]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
What an awesome find. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

As to Jay, I have two words: "carbon dating."

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I tried that, but I couldn't get rid of the chalky aftertaste for months.

-Trevor

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of think it would be fun to ride on a raptor...
And those flying things...

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Pfft! Carbon "dating". I suppose that next you're going to tell me that we really made it to the moon!
Jay
Member # 5786

Well, gee….. Let’s see… If I wanted to help get religion out of society how would be the best way to go about it. Well, maybe it would be best to start with the foundation. Hit it from the start. Yeah, you’ll still have faithful good people who will believe in God and also say he used evolution over millions of years and that man came from apes instead of being created. But once the next generation comes along they’ll believe that God wasn’t really the Creator, so why belief in him?
Sounds almost like what has happened. Sure there’s scientific theories supporting evolution. But there’s also lots of scientific theories for creation too.
I don’t deny true science. But the interpretation of facts seems to be a topic of issue.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Wait, scientists aren't out to destroy god? Damn, now I have to rethink all my previously held beliefs. [Roll Eyes]

Jay - People who think like you care more about the existance of god than scientists do. They aren't trying to disprove god, they are trying to prove their theories right. The fact that you are so threatened by this speaks more to your problem with it than to science's problem with religion. Me thinks the Christian (or whatever you are) protests too much.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about that. in each Jurassic Park movie the raptors get smarter. I expect in the next movie they'll be hacking computer systems to escape. I'm not sure I'm ready for a computer virus written by a raptor. [Wink]
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I’m excited about this find. Anything that shows a young Earth is always exciting to me. I’m all for dinosaur fun. Can’t wait for them to make Jurassic Park, but I think a more accurate one would be the Preflood Park. I’m all for science. I just like it to reflect what actually happened in the past. Not what someone wants to think happened so that we can remove God from everything in our lives.
Ooooh, so that's what happened, dinosaurs died out in the flood.

Well that makes sense, I mean dinosaurs would be hard to get into an ark, unlike animals like lions and tigers and bears (oh my).

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Of course the raptors got smarter - the plots got dumber.

-Trevor

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Urban, in Jurassic Park X the humans will be on the island and the raptors will be in control of everything except for Homo Sapien Park.

It'll be like a neo Planet of the Apes.

Planet of the Raptors.

I wonder what raptor music sounds like, or what raptor paintings will look like.

Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
what raptor music sounds like
I'd guess...scary! [Big Grin]
Noemon
Member # 1115

MSNBC has an article with more photos of the samples.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Looks like an uncooked buffalo wing. I can just see it now when they start cloning them, KFD will start up as a spin-off of KFC. Kentucky Fried Dinosaur.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Ew.
Fossilized dino tissue.
Well, they still don't know what colour they are.

Megan
Member # 5290

I say...baby blue, and hot pink. [Smile]

My velociraptor, for those of you who were wondering, will be hot pink. [Big Grin]

urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet they taste just like chicken [Evil]
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.