FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pepper spray

Author Topic: Pepper spray
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, we had a personal safety presentation by a local county detective. Here’s what he said on the subject:

Be careful when you purchase pepper spray. The “key-chain” spray is popular but you need to find out one very important thing: How far will it spray? If it sprays like non-aerosol hair spray (a short distance), don’t waste your money. You need something that will reach 10 to 15 feet.

(This has been a public service announcement.)

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, accio.

That reminds me of the children's book "The Three Robbers". Ah, Nostalgia!

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goldenstar
Member # 6990

- posted      Profile for Goldenstar           Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason it made me think of the adult book written in a child's book form , called, The House that Crack Built.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Another safety tip - when you buy a can, make sure to test it before you trust your safety to it.

For that matter, I'd recommend two - one to carry, one to practice with.

And pay attention to the wind before you spray.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
O_<
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
When I got mine (on a keychain, but farther range and stuff), I had to go through training. With a target.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Practice, young Grasshopper. [Big Grin]

Pardon the cliche, but it's seriously good advice - if you're going to carry a weapon, know how to use it.

Otherwise it's just another liability in a dangerous situation.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
He talked about practice too. Go outside (upwind) and check that the device will throw a spray several feet away in a consistent spray.

According to him more than one victim has incapacitated themselves because they spayed themselves!!. [Cry] If you use the spray in close contact, there is a good chance that you will get some. Hit your target and get away quickly.

Also, pepper sprays do expire, so re-stock annually.

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
According to him more than one victim has incapacitated themselves because they spayed themselves!!.
[Angst]

[Big Grin]

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I mostly carry mine for use against dogs or other animals I needed to blind or incapacitate long enough to get away to safety. I wouldn't rely on it for use against another human, mostly because of the large possibility that it wouldn't be of as much good as running and screaming (you have to be pretty sure of what you're doing and have a pretty firm stance to use pepper spray accurately, at least in my experience.) I've had to get out of bad situations before, and I've learned that I can rely on my self-protection instincts as much as anything to work. If they don't get me to safety, there's a large chance nothing really will. The pepper spray gives me one extra weapon to use in a dangerous situation, but there's as large a chance that I won't use it as will in a dangerous situation.

I am a little appalled at the fact that I've forgotten to take it of my keys and it's gotten through airport security 5 times now, though.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.