FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What happened to Susan? *Narnia series spoilers* (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: What happened to Susan? *Narnia series spoilers*
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*takes picture of thread*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone else think there is an element of "and then a miracle occurs" in both the marriages of Shasta and Aravis and Prince Caspian and the star daughter? Was that intended? If so, why didn't Lewis include the messier part?
Do you mean that the marriages were too simple? Porter is reading the Narnia stories to our son, and he commented just the other day about a political problem being glossed over and solved *way* too easily. So it definitely isn't just marriage he does this with. It is a repeating pattern in his books.

I think it is because he is writing fairy tales for children, and in his mind fairy tales are not "messy", regardless of the subject.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you got the "bite me" you threw in there.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, maybe you need to step back and re-read everything. I haven't even been part of this discussion, yet looking at if objectively - Dag is not guilty of what you're accusing him of.

You said:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe that's why The Last Battle is irritating me - I disagree with Lewis' theology.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dag said:

quote:
That a large part of the reason Kat thinks it doesn't work as allegory could very well be that she doesn't believe all (and likely doesn't know at least some) of the beliefs being allegorized.
I don't think what he said was unreasonable.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I don't agree with you, Belle. I don't want to discuss it.

Let's talk about Lewis.

-------------

Bev, you're right about the political things also being solved very easily. Not everything is non-messy - the relationship between Eustace and Reepicheep is kind of a mess, so some relationships are elaborated on.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Perhaps he only expounds on things he thinks his intended audience can grasp. Perhaps he believes most kids would find politics boring and marriage "yucky".
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The messy things would be a source of conflict. Politics and the love thing are used by Card and Rowling to bring a little color and life into their books. Lewis must use other things...it can't all come from the religious tension.

He's pretty good at sibling relationships, I thought.

beverly
Member # 6246

Oh, Dag, I found what you had to say about LDS beliefs differing more from Lewis than most Christianity interesting. I have never thought of it that way--especially since most LDS are so very fond of Lewis' speculation and teaching about Christianity. I and many others have felt that his thoughts were inspired above and beyond a lot of what is "out there" about Christianity, and far closer to the LDS view than most.

Though it may be that there is still a wider gap, I don't know.

Even the highest leaders of the LDS church are extremely fond of quoting Lewis. Quotes of Lewis are abundant amongst their talks. I can't think of anyone in the Christian world (outside the scriptures, of course) more quoted by them.

beverly
Member # 6246

Actually, as I've listened to Porter reading the Narnia books to my son, I keep thinking, "Man, this guy sounds patronizing and condescending!" But I love the books anyway. [Smile]
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyway, here's my take.

In The Last Battle, Polly say about Susan, "Her idea is to rush to the silliest time of one's life and stay there for as long as possible." That gave me a very vivid picture as to why Susan wasn't a "friend to Narnia" anymore. I always pictured middle-aged women in miniskirts and tank tops and teenage girls who only date older guys - the type of people who wouldn't dare ever admit that they'd been to Narnia for fear of looking stupid or uncool.

Also, Aslan tells her and Peter (or is it Lucy and Edmund? - my books are still in Georgia) that they must look for him in their own world. I assumed that Susan didn't do that or deliberately stopped at some point.

And she does have an entire lifetime alone to find her way back to Aslan and Narnia.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Even the highest leaders of the LDS church are extremely fond of quoting Lewis. Quotes of Lewis are abundant amongst their talks.
There's a lot in common. But there's an awful lot that's very different.

I'm assuming they don't quote him on the subject of the Trinity, for example.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You would be correct.

Another one is the Fall.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Weird Dag. We're on the same wavelength today or something - right before I read your post I was about to ask whether or not his writings about the Trinity were ever quoted.

Are you reading my mind?

*looks for tinfoil hat*

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Question for any LDS who have read Perelandra: How do you view its take on the Fall?

In many ways, it's Lewis's deepest exploration through fiction of a specific Christian doctrine.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Sadly, you are not on the list of people I obey without question.

Perhaps I am.

"Bow before me, Dagonee. And bring me some chips."

*waits inquisitively

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

*takes chips to CT, hoping she'll be accepted as a minion*
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Weird Dag. We're on the same wavelength today or something - right before I read your post I was about to ask whether or not his writings about the Trinity were ever quoted.

It's the easy example, for sure. That's why I wen there first.

Plus, it's easier to pick a topic when the difference can be summed up succintly as "LDS don't believe in the Trinity" rather than try to articulate the differences between doctrines on the Fall and Original Sin.

quote:
Are you reading my mind?

*looks for tinfoil hat*

Ow! When those rays get bounced back, it hurts!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
Question for any LDS who have read Perelandra: How do you view its take on the Fall?

In many ways, it's Lewis's deepest exploration through fiction of a specific Christian doctrine.

I am no scholar of other flavours of Christianity, but what Lewis assumes about the fall in that book seems to be what "everybody else" in Christianity believes about the fall -- that it's too bad it happened, and wouldn't it be great if it hadn't?

Because that book was so much about the fall, and the assumptions about it were so much in opposition to my beliefs, it was the book by him that I personally got the least out of.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

*hands CT a Pentium*
beverly
Member # 6246

Gotcha. There are some pretty major theological differences.

I have read Perelandra, and it truly is very different than the LDS view. In fact, as I read the book, I often found myself saying, "Listen to Satan! He's right!" [Wink]

We must be the only sect in the world (or at least the only one I've heard of in my somewhat-limited experience) who believe the fall was supposed to happen and that we are better off for it.

From LDS scripture, Moses 5:11

quote:
11 And Eve, his wife, heard all these things and was glad, saying: Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed, and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient.
There are other LDS scriptures also that speak on the necessity of the fall.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks, Porter. That's about what I'd expect. Xenocide's ending had much the same effect on me - it was a worldview that just wasn't compatible with mine, and it was so integral to the plot, that it was almost jarring. (I know it's not based strictly on Mormon doctrine, but my understanding there's something about it that corresponds with some specific beliefs about spirits and the lack of creation ex nihilo.)

By the time CotM came out, I had reclassified the series in my mind. I still enjoyed them, and Speaker will probably remain my favorite SF novel of all time, but the series had moved from "this could happen" to "here's a very good story."

Whereas Tolkien's creation myth seemed very comfortable to me when I read it.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Mrs. M, that was both brilliant and succinct as a summary. Bravura!

Kat, I do think I understand what you're getting at, especially with the Hermione thing. Gives you a sort of reader-whiplash when you think about it.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
*takes chips to CT, hoping she'll be accepted as a minion*

Geez louise, I'm a total Bellehead. Didn't you know? [Wink]

(And thanks, Dag. I think.)

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
(And thanks, Dag. I think.)
Bet you wish I'd asked what kind of chip you wanted. [Smile]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot to bow, Dag...

[Hail] CT

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Orange you glad I didn't say banana again?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, yeah.

*lays a lovely red ribbon tied in lovely loops before CT*

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, CT. [Blushing]
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Ahhh ... my haughty yet priggish need for attention is soothed. Thank you, Jim-Me, my fine man.

*munches on a hard drive

*pauses

*waits

... hey, that's a pun, Dag ...

*gives him the ratfink eye

[Edit to add: and loses all spelling abilities]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

anytime, CT. Nice to be obsequious to someone who deserves it for a change...

Spelling corrected by LG

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

*looks at the eyeball CT gave him*

*wonders what to do with it*

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

who's ratfink and why do you have his eye?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

*hands the eye to Jim-Me*

You want it?

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*laughing out loud

[Wink]

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

*takes eye*

ewww... gooey...

*throws it against the wall where it splats, ceremoniously*

anyone have a hanky?

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I need to reread Peralandra, but I remember it being incredibly powerful for me. I didn't buy all the "just bypass the Fall and we'll all be better off" stuff, but some of the reasonings voiced in the conversations between Satan and Ransom were so amazing and actually helped me to better understand the doctrine that I believe.

I'm at work now, so I can't find the spots, but I'll post some passages later so you don't think I'm crazy. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Narnia, I would be totally interested in that. [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I was actually far more taken with the "accepting the wave God sends you" theme - mainly because it's something I struggle with daily and requires immense faith.

But I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, Narnia.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I thought the whole "Great Dance" thing was about as wonderful as it gets...

*wipes hands on Narnia*

Narnia
Member # 1071

Ew. Jim snot. *pat pat* I love that part too. [Smile]

I'll definitely dig out my book (that Annie got me for Christmas 2 years ago) and post some stuff. We'll have a discussion and totally hijack Beren's thread. [Big Grin] I love that.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Hooray for hijacking!

and it's not my snot... it came from CT by way of Dag...

Narnia
Member # 1071

Oh. That's ok then. [Big Grin] (just kidding. I'd like your snot as much as I like CT's.)
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
(just kidding. I'd like your snot as much as I like CT's.)

Now THAT is a compliment!

[Blushing]

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Meanwhile, everyone ignores my comments regarding Momonism & original sin & Lewis...

Fiddlestix.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

*innocently*

What comments?

Dagonee
Member # 5818

The underlying beliefs are still very different, Scott, at least as people here have presented Mormon doctrines.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of things...

First off, I would like to thank both Dag and Kat for continuing this conversation, although with a few fits and starts to be sure. Religion, and if we are discussing Narnia we are touching upon religion for sure, is a VERY touchy subject at times, and I think I can understand why people have a tough time discussing it frequently. [Big Grin]

On to the Narnia part of it:

First I would like to say that I love the Narnia books, despite their flaws. I know that some of the flaws were deliberate, most often because he was using the story to make a point, but overall it is one of my favorite stories.

I think that a story should be able to stand on it's own, for sure, but that when reviewing it's overall goals and judging if the author achieved those goals other sources can be very enlightening.

Since Narnia is an obvious allegorical story representing a basic Christian myth ( I use that phrase because it is a multi-denominatial story, rather than a story based on a specific "flavor" of Christianity) it is important, at least to me, to consider what the religion believes as well.

Most importantly the fact that it is NEVER too late to be redeemed. As long as there is life there is hope of redemption.

As far as I remember, Susan was alive and was fairly well when the story ended. Just because the story ended at a particular point doesn't mean that her life ended, or that she had lost all hope of achieving entry into the "true" Narnia. There are many examples of people who had redeemed themselves from far worse circumstances in these books.

She had chosen to take a pass at that point, though. It isn't a matter of lipstick, or budding sexuality, at least not to me...although it is an interesting concept, Kat, one I had not thought of before. [Big Grin] It is a matter of turning her face from Narnia and Aslan, by deliberate choice.

Also I do believe that teens ARE shallow, a lot of the time...if they weren't then they would be adults. However, I know a lot of "adults" who are still shallow although they are long past the teen years. [Wink] I don't believe that mentioning the fact that they are fairly shallow is a huge slam, nor do I think that being shallow is a irredeemable flaw, not in Narnia or here in the 'real world".

As a matter of fact, the largest point of the entire series is that EVERY flaw can be redeemed, no matter how large, by Aslan's grace, love, and sacrifice.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
talk about killing an active thread... [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee-- I don't see much difference in what I've read of Lewis' views on original sin and what I think of my religion. What differences do you see?

What I believe Mormons believe about original sin:

quote:

Mosiah 3
19 For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.

This, to my reasoning, meshes with Lewis' statement (paraphrased) that it is not a matter of self-improvement: it is a matter of us being in a rebel camp and needing to lay down our arms and surrender to God.

Now-- unlike most Christianity (I think) Mormons believe the Fall of Adam and Eve was necessary to bring about God's greater purposes. CS Lewis seemed to sense the dualism about the whole matter, at least in the Narnia series; Aslan tells Diggory that he is a son of Adam, and that is glorious enough that the lowliest beggar should take pride in it, and degrading enough to make the mightiest, greatest king bow his head with shame. (Incidentally, 'Magician's Nephew' is my favorite of all the books. . . right now. [Wink] )

How do you see Lewis' view on original sin, and how does it conflict with Mormonism as you understand it?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting to me to hear about people reading Perelandra or Xenocide and suddenly being jolted out of their enjoyment of the book due to an excessive amount of doctrine they don't necessarily believe. Because that happens to me all the time. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.