FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pride and Prejudice film discussion (with spoilers)

Author Topic: Pride and Prejudice film discussion (with spoilers)
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it. I hated the first 5 minutes. I was determined to find fault with it and the opening argument between Mr and Mrs Bennett (which is the hook into the rest of the story) just wasn't right.

But...

I fell madly in love with the rest. Honestly, it was wonderful. There were small things that annoyed me (Like the Darcy/Bingley/Bingley entrance into that first dance where they all stopped and stared), but in all, I was delighted with what came of it. I really haven't had so much fun watching a movie in a very long time.

I blushed and tittered at Collins' speeches. I hid my face when Darcy proposed to Lizzy the first time. My jaw dropped during that beautifully shot sequence at the ball when Darcy and Lizzy dance together. I laughed like crazy at Darcy coaching Bingley's proposal to Jane. I cried when Jane said yes and Bingley teared up. I felt weak when Darcy came walking towards me (yes ME!) across the field at dawn...(even if the chest hair was rather corny).

*sigh* Yes, it was enough to get me all aflutter. I've said before that I really am the perfect movie-goer. I fall for all the gags, scream and jump at all the scary parts, and I can never predict the ending. In this case, I came away with the romantic lines in my head ("You've bewitched me, body and soul." *swoon*) and a desire to read the book AGAIN! (even though I'd reread it only two weeks before the movie came out!)

Some of the perfect characters from this film include:

Bingley: Yeah, they made him a little flighty, but his earnest face and sweet disposition were perfect for the role I think.

Jane: Perfect. I wish her part had been even larger. The man next to me in the theater said at one point "She is so adorable!" and I wholeheartedly agree.

Mr. Bennett: They made him a bit more of a softie (he hugs and consoles his daughters), and I must say that when I saw Donald Sutherland's name I was horrified. But shame on me. Bravo!

Lady Catherine: Of course.

Collins: Just delightful and so comical. I was perfectly uncomfortable whenever he was on the screen.

Charlotte: Just how I imagined her, and the movie gave her a bit more fire.

Imperfect characters that I wish they'd done better:

Wickham: His part wasn't big enough for us to see just how attached to him Lizzy was...and he was kind of creepy IMO.

Caroline Bingley: She wasn't so droll in the book, a little more fake friendship would have been nice.

As far as Darcy/Lizzy go, I thought they were done nicely. They didn't strike me as amazing, but the actors did well and Darcy succeeded in making me light-headed; which is I suppose all you can ask for in a Darcy. [Smile]

What did you guys think of it?

[ December 05, 2005, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Pen and Paper movie discussion (whith spoilers)
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

[Razz]

Ok, I guess I'll spell it out. *Humph*

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved it.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Come on Ruth, throw us a bone! [Wink]
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I was fully prepared to hate this movie, but I thought it was way good. Still not sure how I feel about Darcy not being Colin Firth, though the guy in this one turned out really well. I loved his pacing/sitting/standing during the scene with Elizabeth's letter.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I know! I laughed like crazy at that good bit of slapstick.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There's another P&P movie out? What is this -- six in the last five years?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the scene where Mr. Darcy walks in on Elizabeth. I totally thought that would be the proposal scene, but he just stares at her and they have some awkward conversation. Then Charlotte walks in and he bolts. Hilarious!
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Porter, the Mormon one doesn't count....

Neither does Bridget Jones because it was a loose adaptation.

Neither does Bride and Prejudice because it was Bollywood.

And the Colin Firth one was not as recent as the last 5 years.

So there. [Wink]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I obviously made my point.
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
I had been a little leery about the movie length wondering how they would fit everything into a two hour movie. I was also unsure how I would feel about yet another interpretation of all the main characters. So, I had basically prepared myself to expect a mediocre film keeping my expectations fairly low so as not to be too disappointed when I finally saw it.

Well, I finally saw it last night, and I absolutely loved it. The characters were exactly the way I pictured them when reading the book. The set was beautiful, yet simultaneously bland enough to seem authentic. I loved the music and the visual effects.

They obviously had to condense much of the story and the characters, but what they did leave in seemed to perfectly convey the emotions that were meant to be felt.

Sure, there were a few flaws, but they in no way diminished the overall feel of the movie.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiriusSky
Member # 9216

- posted      Profile for SiriusSky   Email SiriusSky         Edit/Delete Post 
I must start out by saying that P&P is my absolute favorite story. The Colin Firth version is my favorite I can watch it over and over again and never grow tired of it. With that said...
I have really liked everything Keira knightly has been in so far, I think she has done a good job in her roles. And I think she did a decent job in this new version. I must admitt I was horrified when I saw that she was going to play Elizabeth Bennet; I stand corrected. But I do however feel that she was not the one for the part and didn't bring the necessary requirements to do the character. Darcy, was good, but I feel he didn't bring the insight that Firth did. but he was adorable to be sure.
I am glad that I saw it, how could I not be. It was much better than I thought it would be in many respects and worse than i thought in others, go figure. But all in all I'd have to agree with Narnia's full interpretation, with much less swooning however.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually find Keira Kinghtly irritating in films, but I didn't mind her at all in this one. In fact, I quite liked her.

That scene in the rain with Elizabeth and Darcy? Oh, I've watched that three times in the last two days. Yes. Just that scene.

I didn't find Darcy physically attractive in the film (at least not in the beginning, he won me over by the end), but Darcy is my favorite male character in any book ever. I have to admit, Macfadyen did a good job with him.

I should probably add that I've never seen the Colin Firth version. I should probably check that out.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.