FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Getting in shape for a cruise (Now the Hatracker's Getting in Shape support thread) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Getting in shape for a cruise (Now the Hatracker's Getting in Shape support thread)
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
This December, my grandparents are celebrating their 55th anniversary. To celebrate, they're taking their entire family on a cruise to the Virgin Islands(they live in florida).

I'm not exactly attractive. I'm 5'4" and 160 lbs. I'd really like to lose weight and tone up so as not to be completely embarrassed in a swimsuit in public. I'm already planning on purchasing a pass to the local rec center, so I can swim and lift some weights. I know I also need to diet.

So I turn to you, Hatrack. What diets work? What would you reccommend? Much thanks in advance!

[ March 12, 2006, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Tinros ]

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest water.
Drink lots and lots of water.
It helps me to feel full and healthy.

As for diets, etc. I can't say.
Good luck!

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Tinros. I'm a few inches taller than you, nearly 5'7", and weigh about 164 or so. Wanna go on a diet with me? [Big Grin]

Of course, I am also nursing a baby, so that effects how much I can cut down on calories.

My goals are simply this: try to exercise 5 days a week, make sure that everything I eat is good for me, and not over-eat. I think I am capable of holding to this most of the time (I do have occasional treats.) It has taken me years of "practice" training, not just my body, but my brain, to be willing to really eat healthy long-term. I have had a lot of bad habits to break, sweets being a big one.

One thing that has helped me is studying nutrition. For some reason, understanding *why* certain foods are good for me has been very motivating. For example, most people don't enjoy fish that much. But after learning more about just how good fish is for me, I enjoy eating it in part because I enjoy feeling that I am doing something good for myself.

Eating healthy *can* be expensive, and you might have trouble finding a way to eat healthy that you can enjoy. That is why research and talking to people is good. Find out what your options are. Something that another person may enjoy might gross you out. Maybe you just *hate* spinach. So, find something you can enjoy. Do your best to eliminate white flour and sugar no matter what plan of attack you choose. Learn about alternative sweetners--there are more options out there than you might have thought.

But another key is that there is no "magic bullet," no one food that is so healthy that it will do everything for you. It needs to be the whole picture, a variety of healthy foods.

And when it comes to conventional diets, be smart. If you, say, are going on Atkins, there is a huge difference between the person who has a sausage and cheese omlete for lunch and the person who has fish and asparagus. Which do you think will be healthier *and* lose more weight?

You are young, so eating healthy might not be near as much a motivator at this point as losing weight is. But you will be happier in the long run if you do make health a priority. Being thin will be a happy side-effect. [Smile]

BTW, I've heard the South Beach Diet is a good one. [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Oh, and exercising with friends is a great way to keep you going. It can be challanging to find an exercise routine that you will actually stick with long term. I have developed a pattern of exercising that began years ago, and sometimes I hold to it better than others.

Currently, I am using Dance Dance Revolution as my main cardiovascular workout. Why? Because I know I will do it. It is fun because there is the challange of "How well did I do?" Doing it with a friend brings in a bit of competition. That way it isn't just about the exercise anymore, it is also a game.

When it gets warmer, I plan to walk and bike.

This whole "losing weight" thing is all about finding out what can work for you, what you are willing to actually stick with.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to lose about 10 to 15lbs before my wedding so I look better in my wedding dress. I am just trying to eat healthy for the diet part. I am not doing anything specific. I am trying to cut out most snacking. When I do snack, I try and have carrots or maybe a bit of applesause. The hardest part for me is to cut out the sugary drinks like soda and juice. For exercise, I try and go out and walk for at least an hour a day. I also do sit-ups before I go to bed. For me it works, I just need to stick with it.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
When you buy bread, make sure it's the double fiber stuff. Instead of all the bread you eat becoming fat, it passes right through ya. Doesn't sound great, but it really does wonders.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that exercising with friends is a great way to get motivated. It's the best way for me to stay accountable to it and to really do it every day. Even though I like exercising and feel good about doing it, I often find that I am lazy and don't get myself moving if I don't have someone else who's waiting for me.

Oh, and swimming is great exercise so have fun in the pool at the rec center. That should be really good for you. It's my favorite way to exercise during the summer, but there's no locally available indoor pool so I just have to wait.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is a big difference between losing weight and looking good in a bathing suit. I'm 5'5" and 135 which is totally normal for my height but I could never get away with a bikini and even one pieces are unflattering for me.

Not to discourage you, but there are only a small amount of people who look good in bathing suits. I would recommend a tankini (covers the stomach mostly and doesn't stretch over bumps like a one piece) and definitely a sarong. I don't ever wear a bathing suit without one.

However, nothing wrong with losing weight and boosting confidence. [Smile] You will look awesome in most clothes long before a bathing suit and feel better about yourself.

(I personally recommend cutting down calories either by eating a little less, exercising a little more, or both. Just eliminate one thing from your daily diet with 300 calories and you'll see a difference. I can't gurantee how quickly it will work...)

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

quote:
Currently, I am using Dance Dance Revolution as my main cardiovascular workout. Why? Because I know I will do it. It is fun because there is the challange of "How well did I do?" Doing it with a friend brings in a bit of competition. That way it isn't just about the exercise anymore, it is also a game.
I won a DDR tournament just recently- I LOVE that game! I have the home version, but I like arcade more. A bunch of my friends really like it too. I lost about 15 pounds one summer doing it.

My biggest problem is time. My schedule varies so much from day to day, it's hard for me to find a regular time to work out. And the fact that I don't cook my own meals or buy groceries gets in the way a bit. I'm trying to convince my parents to eat healthier with me, so wish me luck.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that it's often very helpful to eat more small meals a day as opposed to a few large ones.

You feel less hungry and are less prone to late-night binging (which is a problem for me).

I know how hard parents can make it to eat healthy. My dad eats a lot of high-sugar, high-fat foods. Whenever I visit them for more than a week, I usually put on 5-10 lbs. Plus I have the added difficulty of trying to break the eating habits I get there. They came to visit me, and my dad was absolutely appalled that I only had one pint of LOW FAT ice cream in the freezer.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Actually, a lot of small meals is what I've heard works best. Unfortunately, I can't do that: I have school to contend with. We're not even allowed to have botles of water in class. Once I graduate and get to college I'll be able to do that, but until May 20th, it's three meals a day for me.
Tinros
Member # 8328

And Beverly-

I'd love to diet with you! I think it would help me stick to it if I have someone holding me accountable. I've tried dieting before, but it always failed within a week. Wanna try it?

pH
Member # 1350

How does your school meal schedule work?

When I was in high school, we had a break around 10-11am which was long enough to have a little snack. And I didn't eat breakfast, so I ate around 10-11am, again at 12:45ish, again at 4, again at 7, and usually had a snack around 9 (which is probably later than I should've been eating, but oh well, I exercised really late at night).

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

We can only eat during our scheduled lunch time. Mine is 11:00. I normally drink a glass of carnation instant breakfast around 6:00, and leave for school around 6:40. I get home from school at 2:20 or so, and dinner's around 6. Some days I have meetings after school, or piano and flute lessons, so dinner might get pushed back unil 7.
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
You could do breakfast before school. 11:00 lunch. A small meal at 2:20 and then your final meal at 6:30 if you want to do more smaller meals.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Maybe you could eat something small when you get home?

I always liked low-fat cheese or tuna and crackers.

Edit: Theresa got it! Although I'm not personally a fan of breakfast. [Razz]

-pH

Tinros
Member # 8328

soudns good. I think I'll try it. I also emailed my sister up at college- she's trying to lose weight and get in shape too. (although, she doesn't need to lose nearly as much as I do... [Razz] )
pH
Member # 1350

How much do you want to lose? Having a goal helps a lot. And I agree about it being really hard to look good in a bikini.

Oh! But if you do go with a tankini (although I personally do not recommend a tankini if you're small-chested, which I am), I always like swimsuit bottoms that tie on the sides as opposed to the ones that are just like undies. Because the ties make it easier to adjust, so they're not all pinchy on you.

I think they make all swimsuit bottoms too small for the tops. [Mad] Buy separates.

-pH

Tinros
Member # 8328

I want to lose around 45 pounds. That would put me right in the middle of my "healthy" range.
Kristen
Member # 9200

Tinros:

That sounds like a major commitment, and I don't know about your budget but perhaps you should look into personal trainers. I can't imagine them all to be ridiculous investments but the advantages:

1. Routine designed by an expert
2. You have an obligation to show up
3. Most also give nutrition advice

Or at least consult with a nutritionist or fitness trainer. My friend lost (and kept off) 30 pounds that way and said it was well worth the money.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Kristen. I know quite a bit about fitness and nutrition, and I can tell you firsthand that losing that kind of weight can't be accomplished by a diet. Diet is a word that implies a temporary change of eating habits until you reach a desired weight, at which point you go back to what got the weight on you in the first place. Doesn't work. You need to completely overhaul your eating and exercise habits.

Step 1: Track what you're putting into your body. Keep a food diary for a week, where you write down everything you eat or drink and the calories from them. And I mean everything -- you grab a handful of M&Ms, write that down. This does two things -- one, it helps you realize how many calories a day you're actually taking in (which is essential to forming a plan for how many calories you should be taking in daily), and two, it'll make you more aware of how often (if ever) you snack. A lot of people can lose weight just by keeping a food journal, because it helps you to stop eating just out of boredom or habit. You have to think of everything you put into your mouth.

Step 2: Identify and isolate bad eating habits. If you have a weakness for sweets, or salty snacks, or whatever, this is where you isolate those foods. Know that they're your kryptonite and prepare yourself. People tend to eat bad when they're tired, or stressed, or depressed, or in a hurry. Try to avoid those situations so you aren't tempted to backslide. Since you live at home, get your parents to help by not buying the things that tempt you.*

Step 3: Develop a fitness routine that's not overboard, and that you enjoy. If you like the outdoors, find a friend to walk with you every day. If you like to jog or bike, do the same. Find an activity that's not tedious and you'll stick with it because it won't feel like a chore. For me it's basketball. I can play for hours and it's fun. Don't kill yourself. 30 minutes a day of aerobic exercise is plenty(3-5 times a week). If you want to mix in some resistance training (i.e. weights), that'll certainly help, but find someone to show you how to break up a workout into days (workout one body area every day you lift, this is called a split).

Step 4: Track your progress. This is very important, too. Start a workout journal that records how long you exercise each day. If you use weights, this is where you write down how many reps/sets you do so you can keep track. It doesn't have to be in depth, just "Tues - 30 min biking" is fine. Start your new lifestyle by weighing yourself on your home scale (it's important that you always weigh yourself on the same scale, with the same attire, and preferably at the same time of day. I personally recommend you weigh no more than twice a week so you don't get discouraged by normal fluctuations). Measure your chest, upper arms, thighs, hips, and waist with a tape measure and write these measurements down where no one will ever see them. This is for comparison in a few weeks.

Tips:

Don't let yourself talk your way out of exercising. There'll be days where you don't feel like working out; do it anyway. Cut your workout short if you're really feeling sluggish. It's better to do anything than to do nothing. Even a walk around the block is better than sitting on the couch all night.

Be strict with what you eat, portion-wise, but don't feel like you can't eat all of your favorite foods. Diets are about giving things up. I prefer just taking control over my eating habits. I like pizza, and if I feel like eating it then I do just that. But no more than once a week, and I limit myself on how much of it I eat. So I don't get discouraged because I don't deprive myself but I doesn't kill my diet (different use of the word 'diet') because I eat in moderation.

Learn easy ways to cut out calories. Fat free cheese isn't bad. Some diet sodas are downright palatable. Learn the areas you don't mind eating healthier so then you know where you don't have to cut calories.

Always eat something for breakfast. It can be small, but breakfast gets your metabolism going from 'sleepy' mode to 'calorie burning' mode.

Watch late night snacking (especially carbs). You won't have a chance to burn it off before bed, which means it turns into fat.

Re: snacking. Fruits and vegetables are great snacks (vegetables more than fruits, but both are waaaay better than a snickers bar). Nuts are another great snack. Yogurt and granola bars are also pretty good. Rice cakes are overrated, because they have nearly no nutritional value and they taste like styrofoam.

It takes 3500 calories to equal one pound of fat. So, if you can cut 300 calories a day out of your diet and get 200 calories a day from exercise, you can lose a pound a week. In other words, cut out two 12 oz. soft drinks and walk about 1.5 miles and you're their without changing a single other thing.

Don't starve yourself. If you're hungry then your body is nearing the point where your metabolism shuts down to conserve energy, because your body thinks you're starving. In this case, you begin to metabolize stored muscle for energy. So that's a bad idea. If you eat 5-6 small meals, you should never be hungry during the day.

Water is your friend. Drink lots of it.

Set a reasonable goal. Don't expect to lose 5 pounds a week. Yes, you can do it, but no, you can't do it in a healthy way. Conventional wisdom is that the most you can gain or lose in a week and be healthy is 2 pounds. That's being pretty strict with your diet and exercise, too. You have a lofty goal, so if that's what you're set on I'd divide it into two or three smaller goals. Lose half the weight by the end of summer, and the rest by Christmas.

Weight is just a number. It's not unusual to not see a lot of weight loss in the first few weeks of a program. That doesn't mean you're not getting in better shape. Often, you'll lose fat but put on muscle at the same time. So the scale may not move, but you'll feel and look better.

Being skinnier doesn't mean being happier. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Skinny people have problems, just like rich people have problems. I fully understand wanting to look good in a bathing suit, but either way learn to be happy with who you are (not saying that you're not happy, just a cautionary tale).

I'm sure there's plenty I'm forgetting, but this is all off the top of my head. The important thing is to get organized, develop a plan, and stick to it. There'll be people who don't want you to succeed, and people who try to talk you out of it and tempt you with things you shouldn't eat, but if you're committed you'll quickly learn to say no.

* I mean the royal you. Everyone has weaknesses, and the easiest way to not give in to keep whatever it is away from you.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcare
Member # 8736

- posted      Profile for sarcare   Email sarcare         Edit/Delete Post 
Also one thing to keep in mind, is that not everyone is the same, so the rules and suggestions that people give you may not work as expected. If you really want to lose weight, you have to be patient and continue working at it, even if it doesn't produce results right away.

I speak from experience. I've radically changed my eating habits and have added a fitness routine that balances cardio and resistance for a total of at least an hour daily. BUT, the calculations of reducing calories and increasing activity don't work for me. I should have lost at least a pound a week, but I go a week or two with no weight loss, and then I loose four pounds the next week.

Posts: 234 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Tinros--about the carnation instant breakfast. Does it have sugar in it? I was drinking those during my first pregnancy, and wasn't very knowledgable back then. I can't remember how it was sweetened, only that it tasted sweet.

One thing I've been doing is drinking whey protein powder drinks when I start feeling "snacky." Costco sells an excellent tasting version (sweetened with splenda) called Pro-Rated. The protein helps fill you, and is important both for nutrition and muscle-building. It also fills you up and isn't likely to turn into fat. You have to buy it bulk, which is pricey up-front, but the value per serving is pretty good.

I have found if I eat a protein together with a particular carb that I want to have, it lessens the insulin reaction and controls blood sugar better. This (it is believed) discourages fat-storage.

Getting omega 3's in your diet is crucial for health for many reasons and may encourage the body to let go of the fat stored up in your cells. Since you don't have a lot of control over what your parents feed you, suppliments may be the way to go.

Triscuits are a tasty snack made from shredded whole wheat. Make sure *any* grain you take in is whole grain. Not just will the fiber go right through you as airmanfour mentioned, but it will fill you and keep you full longer.

What to put on those trisuits? The tuna pH mentioned *is* a great source of low-fat protein as well as those precious omega 3's, but if you can stomach sardines (for putting on the crackers) they are a more mercury-free source. (The smaller the fish, the less opportunity for heavy-metal buildup.)

When your parents make a meal that isn't particularly healthy, arrange to have a large amount of salad in the house and make sure a large portion of your meal is salad, and take less of the dinner mom 'n' dad prepared. That way you take control of what is going into you.

Eat breakfast. If you don't, your body goes into "fasting-mode" and won't let go of fat and slows your metabolism. Eating small amounts frequently keeps your metabolism burning constantly, not to mention boosting your energy level and making you feel better. If you don't have a lot of control over breakfast at your parents' house, make sure there is shreaded wheat, plain oatmeal or Grape Nuts in the house. Use something other than sugar to sweeten it.

Eat fruit. It is portable, and perhaps you can even eat it in class, as well as those Triscuits. When you are off of sugar, eating fruits feels like eating dessert. It is a marvelous feeling.

Whatever you do, stay away from transfats. They are bad for you! And your body is very likely to store it in fat cells. If something says "0 trans fats!" on the package, don't believe them! There are loop-holes in the law that lets them get away with "little white lies." Instead, check the ingredient list. Anything that says "partially hydrogenated," don't touch! Even most peanut butter has this issue. But seeing as peanut butter *is* nutritious, you can buy Adam's brand or another kind that is more pure and natural. You might have to stir it, since the oil and protein separate. (That's why they add the trans fats to begin with!)

Eat yogurts that have low sugar and added protein. Eat "no sugar added" ice cream when you really want a treat.

Find ways to love veggies. This last thing is the hardest for me. Carrot sticks are a good way to get some in.

Oh, and you're on with dieting together! If I keep updating my progress on this thread, it will help keep me accountable. I would be *overjoyed* to lose 40-45 pounds by Christmas. I would love to make it happen.

I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that when weight-loss plateaus, up the exercise a bit and it can break you through to losing weight once again.

A bit of background on me, I "let myself go" a bit in my early 20's and with my first pregnancy. I thought I could eat whatever and get away with it. Ever since then, I've been oh-so-slowly trying to work my way back to slender.

I have a decent track-record in that I rarely gain *any* weight unless I'm pregnant. But considering I just had my fourth child, I have been pregnant a lot. [Smile] I usually work off what I gained the last time plus just a wee bit more. But it's never been enough. I spend a lot of time plateaued, unable to lose in spite of regular exercise and "decently healthy" eating.

But I think I've learned enough and "practiced" enough that this time I can acheive my goal. This time I'm gonna make it!

Best of luck to us both and whoever else wants to join in!

pH
Member # 1350

Yeah, definitely learn your own body's needs.

The reason why I'm personally not a fan of breakfast is that if I eat before 11am, I'm even hungrier during the day and night and end up eating way, way too much.

Oh, and take vitamins!

Also, don't be surprised if you get hungrier after you start exercising.

It helps a LOT to listen to your favorite music while you exercise, too. I will sometimes take walks just for the excuse to turn on my mp3 player.

I'd love to join in on the diet and exercise with you guys, but at this point, most people who hear that I want to get in shape accuse me of being anorexic. [Frown] I mostly just want to tone up my rear and middle.

-pH

theresa51282
Member # 8037

I want to join in. I can use all the encouragement I can get.
pH
Member # 1350

I want to fit into my skinny jeans again.

That is my goal.

I put on some weight while I was in Chicago. Some of it I NEEDED to put on (over the summer, I got down to around 117 lbs...and I'm six feet tall). At that point, my smallest jeans were quite literally falling off me. I have no idea why I lost so much weight, and it happened in about two months and freaked out a lot of people, including myself.

So I don't want to be like that again.

-pH

Kristen
Member # 9200

There is some awesome and pragmatic advice here.

I shall join the group diet, although I have no willpower, but I am young and should take care of my body when my metabolism is functioning properly. I can't even look at my stomach anymore.

Besides, someone's got to be at the back of the pack [Wink]

Tinros
Member # 8328

Yay! Go Hatrack support groups!
Tinros
Member # 8328

I was thinking about keeping a food journal and posting my daily intake here. If I TELL someone what I'm eating, I'll probably eat less out of embarassment. But hey, it would work. WHat do you guys think?
beverly
Member # 6246

I was thinking of doing something similar. If we are all recording what we eat daily in this thread, it might get really long really fast. [Wink]

I might just check in once a week to submit my progress. If I have a notable straying from my diet, I could record that. [Smile]

Tinros
Member # 8328

hmm... maybe a group blog? or each create our own online "dieting journal" and promise to check each others' journals and comment on progress? We could each get a "dieting Xanga." or something like that.
pH
Member # 1350

There's a Hatrack Livejournal community that I've totally neglected...

-pH

aiua
Member # 7825

Mind if I join in?

**Me too, pH.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

Join us! Be one of ours FOREVER!!!
aiua
Member # 7825

All for one and one for all?
beverly
Member # 6246

[Smile]

I've never heard of "Hatrack Livejournal." What, where, when, who?

pH
Member # 1350

This is the Hatrack Livejournal community.

I'ma make it purty soon. Like, when people start posting in it. [Razz]

I made mine purty.

-pH

beverly
Member # 6246

I am not at all familiar with Livejournal or anything of the sort. I guess I'm old-time. Purty page, though!
Kristen
Member # 9200

We need a cool name now...Hatrack Group Diet just doesn't have the proper ring to it.
pH
Member # 1350

Hawtrack.

*giggle*

Shut up, maybe I AM twelve.

-pH

pH
Member # 1350

I have decided from now on to jog/walk two miles a day and actually make myself do it.

I just got back. *falls over* I forgot how far two miles is.

-pH

Maria
Member # 9209

- posted      Profile for Maria   Email Maria         Edit/Delete Post 
I've lost 15 lbs over the past couple of months, and my goal is to lose 35 more in the next 5 or 6 months. I'm 42 years old, and had finally slipped into the obese zone, and decided to put a stop to it.

I'm using a computer program to keep track of my calorie intake, and any exercise I do to "earn" more calories, and it's working well. [Smile]

I imagine I'll have to count calories for the rest of my life... but that's OK. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to lose weight too... In my "past life" as a SAHM, I cooked everything from scratch and ate much healthier than I do these days. I was always more active than I am now. I've never been especially athletic, but in the last 5 years I've put on a considerable amount of weight. I'm sure there are multiple reasons, but I think mainly it's my sedentary job, the fact that I'm eating a lot more fast food and other processed foods and probably the fact that I'm getting older doesn't help.

I bought my girls a DDR game for Christmas, and we try to play at least 2-3 times a week. I also bought a small "stair-stepper" that I need to start using again. (I got out of the habit over Christmas when I had a case of influenza, then moved into a new place and didn't set it up right away.)

I know *how* to eat... I work in public health, and I teach this stuff, basically. But knowing and doing are separate things.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Official Hatrack Exercise Thread

You might find some good tips and such for exercise and getting into shape in that thread. Lots of good discussion and stuff.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I was thinking...why don't we start an email list or something?

Then if one of us has a suggestion for someone specific, we have the option to send email privately.

-pH

Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I was 17, I never had a weight problem, never dieted, (even after having 5 kids). I just didn't have a weight problem. I stayed at 105 at 5ft 6in no matter what I ate. And then, I had a sudden weight gain when I was given steroids for an respiratory problem almost a year ago. I jumped from a size 3 to almost a size 11 in less than 3 months. (I refused to get on a scale when I couldn't get into my jeans)

However, I just bought two new pairs of jeans last week-and I'm back down to a size 7! YAY ME! I was really expecting to buy 9's and concede to being overweight!

I tried everything from joining the local fitness center, diets, etc-nothing was working! So here are a few little secrets that seem to be working for me.

Little metabolism tricks:

1. Grapfruit: Yellow has less fruit sugars compared to pink) Start your day with a grapefruit and high fiber cereal or toast. This jump starts the day with a metobolism boost which burns the fat.

2. Cinnamon: Scientist are finding that it helps with insulin production which is needed to process sugars. A lot of people who have weight problems have a problem with sugars being stored as fat due to lower insulin productions. And it taste GREAT! Add it to your morning toast. If you drink tea, add a cinnamon stick to your cup and let the cin. oil seep into you steeping tea. (or get cin. pills)

3. Replace ice cream with no sugar added frozen yogurt! It taste better and it's better for your body, metabolism, digestion. You can also replace sour cream with plain yogurt. (becareful not to get vanilla when buying plain yogurt! I've done this! heh)

4. Laugh! Laughing burns calories! Being happy is better for your body and mind than being angry and frustrated at a gym! In otherwords, don't take this weight loss so serious that you stop loving yourself, life and the world around you. Find humor in your world.

5. Don't diet! Change the way you view food. Eat smaller portions cut out as many carbs and sugars as possible. (that's not to say, give up carbs. Women need carbs more than men do. Just eat the right carbs)

6. Don't eat foods that contain MSG! A lot of prepared foods (frozen dinners, prepackaged foods) contain MSG. If you do a little search online about the connection of msg to weight gain and diabetes you'll understand this hint.

7. NO Diet Sodas: all will actually cause you to gain weight, not loss. NO diet soda! If you need caffeine, drink tea or coffee.

And I think El JT de Spang's advice is great! It's a good way to become aware of what you're putting in your body and gaining control. (however, too much work for me! LOL )

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Out of curiosity, do two children's vitamins equal one adult vitamin?

I'm wondering how many of my One a Day Justice League chewables I should have.

Justice is tasty and nutritious.

-pH

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to lose weight myself... As only cannibals would like my body at this point -_-

So I have trying to excercise more, but then my knees ache and try to give way.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

quote:
So I have trying to excercise more, but then my knees ache and try to give way.
Swimming is basically a no-impact sport in terms of your knees (and is actually fun).
beverly
Member # 6246

I want to share with y'all a chocolate chip cookie recipe I invented tonight! It may be the most healthy chocolate chip cookie recipe you'll ever see.

Bev's Uber-Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup Splenda
2 cups sucanat
1/3 cup organic, cold-pressed flaxseed oil
1 cup butter (softened)

cream the above

3 omega-3 enhanced eggs
2 Tbsp Danncy pure vanilla

add the above and mix with electric mixer till fluffy

1 cup soy flour
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 cups 10 grain, ground (I do grind it up in my Vitamix dry container. You might be able to find something similar pre-ground at a health foods store)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

sift the above separately before mixing with wet ingredients

semi-sweet chocolate chips to taste
nuts optional

Bake 375 for 7 minutes

The texture, shape, and color are great! Don't taste the raw cookie dough, though. It's not very good. [Smile] I'm not sure where the funny aftertaste of the dough comes from--flax? Soy? Raw sugar cane? But whatever it is, the baking and chocolate chips completely masks it.

I have been so encouraged by this little experiment of mine that I think I will continue experimenting. For example, what happens if you use flax meal instead? Or vanilla whey powder? Or even chocolate? I am interested in pushing the boundaries with flax. How much can I put in before the flavor suffers too much? Is concentrated amounts of flax something I can get used to the taste of?

Apparently, using soy flour cuts down on baking time because soy flour browns easily. I am intrigued by this, since the big downside of cooking with Splenda is that it *doesn't* brown very well. I may eventually try a version that is sugar free. Another day though.

I hope y'all conduct experiments of your own. Let me know if you come up with something interesting!

Edit: A few health facts about the above recipe: No trans fats. High omega 3s (especially if you add walnuts.) Low sugar. High protien. All whole grains, so plenty of nutrition and fiber. And, yes, they actually taste good. [Razz] The cool thing is you feel good after eating them, and it satisfies your "treat craving."

I highly recommend freezing or at least refrigerating them soon after baking. It keeps the delicate omega 3 oils from going rancid (and ceasing to be omega 3s, and becoming something potentially harmful.) You can warm them in the microwave on medium-low for that "freshly baked" sensation.

[ March 16, 2006, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.