FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I broke a tooth...

Author Topic: I broke a tooth...
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a broken tooth (two of them, actually) for a while now. One for several years, which has never bothered me, and one where a filling came out....and nothing was left of the tooth, it had all been filling for years. [Big Grin]

I have not visited a dentist for years, because I had a horrible one last time. He broke my jaw in 3 places trying to get a wisdom tooth out that wasn't bothering me....and he did so without telling me he was going to. (he was an Army dentist)

Also, I had no dental insurance.

Now I do, and it is a good thing....

I am in complete agony. It began out of the blue several hours ago, and has reached the point where I am considering taking the tooth out myself, however necessary. [Frown]

I called 4 dentists, all of whom have "EMERGENCY" listed in their ads in the yellow pages, but there opinion of "rapid response" is severely lacking. I called hours ago and not one of them has called back, despite voice mails and pages.

This sucks.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Feel better.

If you do feel that you have no other option than to take it out yourself, don't use a skate.. /unhelpful advice

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you called the local ER to see if they know emergency dentists?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yep...they don't have one down here on call, and they have a policy not to recommend specific doctors off premises.

[Frown]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Is there another hospital you can try?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Sure this wasn't caused by pool-cue recovery effort gone awry? [Wink]

I hope you feel better.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a LONG haul, but I was a patient of Dr. Steven Hall in Oviedo for as long as I was in Orlando. He is the best dentist, bar none, that I have EVER had, anywhere.

Call him. If he's accepting new patients, get to him. He will make it all alright.

Tell him I sent you, and that I still want a ride in his car.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I will give him a call and try to make an appointment on Monday...he isn't open until them [Frown]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Drat. I never had his emergency number. I have, however, had him fix more than one broken tooth and he is WAY good at it.

I hope he's accepting new patients.

Use me if you need a referral from an old patient.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Will do, thanks for the referral, but at this point I will be go to whomever returns my phone calls first.

I have not recieved a single call yet. [Frown]

[ April 09, 2006, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I am in complete agony. It began out of the blue several hours ago, and has reached the point where I am considering taking the tooth out myself, however necessary. [Frown]

Kwea, an ER should at least be able to help you with pain control, even if they can't fix it. Severe pain such as you describe is an emergency.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I am using some meds to manage the pain right now, nothing dangerous but something that will hopefully help me sleep. I had them left over from other things...nothing too old, or dangerous.....pain meds with teh "take as needed" label.

I need it. [Frown]

If I can't get a dentist to answer me tomorrow I may have to do that. [Frown]

I did get a call back, but my cell phone had died, so I will try to call them again tomorrow, and get in to see him ASAP.

One thing is for sure, I can't go to work like this. [Frown]

Kwea
Member # 2199

OK, going to hospital. Nothing worked, time is past for something stronger.

See you in a few days, maybe.

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. [Frown]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, you have probably left for the hospital, but I was going to suggest not checking in unless you absolutely have to for financial reasons, as you mentioned you didn't have insurance.

I had to go to the emergency room (I needed a medication and it was NYE, so everything was closed) and it ended up costing me $800+ insurance which got whittled down to a still icky $300. Just for the visit. The medicine is only $40.

If you are beyond ice and meds, then by all means go. Hope you feel better. My wisdom teeth are coming in and it hurts like heck. [Frown]

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I think he has insurance now. At least, he clarifies in the initial post that he does have dental at this time, so I think it's likely that he has medical now, too.

I hear what you are saying, though, Kristen. ER does cost much much more than people expect. I hope we get the insurance issue straightened out in this country.

I also hope Kwea is being taken care of.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It is pointless. It took them 5 minutes to tell me what was wrong, and that I needed to see a dentist, and that all they could do for me was give me pain meds and antibiotics. They told me that when I checked in.

I wasn't see for 4 hours after that, and once in back it took another 45 min before the Doctor came in to see me.

He spent less than 5 min telling me that again.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning, asap, but am still looking for a doctor who can do it today.

There is actually a 24 hour place, but5 believe it or not they do NOT accept ANY insurance on the weekends! Talk about raping people in need, huh?

I do have insurance now, but I had not had insurance for a while before that, which is why this got so bad....I couldn't afford to have anything done about it. [Frown]

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
They don't have non-money-grubbing urgent care centers? [Frown]

We have an urgent care center that's, I guess, an offshoot of a hospital, and they can do ANYTHING there that doesn't absolutely require hospitalization. And they even take my crappy student insurance that isn't accepted ANYWHERE.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

We do, but not for dentistry.

I have an appointment to speak to a dentist who can fit me in some time tomorrow, they will call me when they open tomorrow (Monday) at 9:30 am.

I had the infection break open tonight, which while tasting really, realy gross is a good thing. Now the swelling is half the size it was earlier today. I woke up this afternoon and it felt like I had cotton balls in the right side of my mouth between my gum and my lip. [Frown]

I feel much, much better, although I still need to see a dentist asap. [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Never got a call from the "emergency" dentist. so I called around.

The general consensus was that I need to have a course of antibiotics to get rid of the infection before having dental work done. Since the ER game me a script for that already, I am going to delay going to the dentist until next week. I have limited pain, and Vicadan if it gets more painful, and about 8 more days left until this course of antibiotics is done.

If I see the swelling increasing or begin feeling a lot worse, I will go to see a dentist right away....it is easier now that it isn't the weekend:D

One way or another, this is going to be expensive, even with insurance. [Frown]

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry you are having such a rotten time. There has got to be a better system out there than these trouble-prone teeth-and-gums things that we are saddled with.

Maybe beaks?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

lol
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Oh, jimminy cricket. I am so glad you are on antibiotics and have access to pain meds. Is it an appropriate antibiotic choice? (*she asks the pharmacist, who of course would never have considered that [Wink] )
Kwea
Member # 2199

penicillin. [Big Grin]

It IS working, the swelling a MUCH less than it was even yesterday. [Big Grin]

My WIFE was a pharm tech, not me...I sell suits. [Big Grin]

I was an EMT in te Army though, so I have a better knowledge of basic medical issues than most though. [Big Grin]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Here I thought we were going to be treated to another seedy pool-hall story. I was hoping you had brawled with some Merchant Marines or something.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

lol
Kwea
Member # 2199

Funny thing is that most pool halls these days are not seedy at all. Most are high end pool halls, with millions of dollars invested in them, anad the customer base is mostly the 20-somethings.

My dad went to the pool hall I used to work in with me and my wife last year, and he was amazed at the number of tables FILLED with women who play. It is a popular pre-date ritual. Also, a lto fo them have ladies night, where 4 or more ladies play free.

Not you old school gamblers haven. [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.