FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Superman Returns ~SPOILERS!~ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Superman Returns ~SPOILERS!~
Blaine
Member # 9412

- posted      Profile for Blaine   Email Blaine         Edit/Delete Post 
Overall, I'd give it four out of five stars.

Brandon Routh. Did a great job. Even sounded EXACTLY like Chris Reeve in a few scenes.

Kevin Spacey. Star of the show. Gene Hackman's comic bullying with truely terrifying moments of malice.

Plenty of nods to the Christopher Reeve movies, including the opening credits and the final shot as Superman flies off camera.

John Williams' score revisited. Blaine likey.

Special effects. Good, but not great. The flying was spectacular, but some shots were pretty bad. Like Smallville bad.

And now, SPOILERS: [No No]
After Superman lifts the landmass into space, he falls in, yup, a crucified position. And the beating scene felt like The Passion all over again.

Haha, SUPERBOY. Interesting idea to make Superman a father, but I'm not so sure I'm going to like where it leads.

Now I'm going to sleep. I'll probably (hopefully?) make more sense in the morning.

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was kind of strange that Superman had never killed anyone before, but in this movie his child does. Then of course while lifting the growing land mass the three thugs who beat him are crushed, so he is still up on Jr.

So, did Lois put Krypotinte in the inhaler to keep Sup Jr under wraps? The Smallville arc is not cannon, but I believe little Super tyke lifting a car is, what exactly is going on there?

One hopes Superman has a way to find and recover his chrystals, I think that is the assumption at the end as he goes off to space.

It was interesting that Superman became a "Deadbeat Dad" off finding himself while his kid was growing up, and that his X wrote a bitter story about it, very Springer...

I did like the fact that things that Superman grabed buckle and bend, and people get tossed around inside, though Lois took some jolts that looked leathal to me on the way down in the plane. There is a Comic Book Canon that Superman has a personal Telekinetec field that he extends by contact to objects he touches, but it is not common knowlege so the other looks better.

Last of all, How bout that Spiderman Trailer Teaser? Nice and dark, lots of tears and angst with Sandman and Venom figured in, pretty cool...

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, the thrill has worn off and I can look more critically at the movie now. When I left the theater it was with a strong sense of "ohboyohboyohboy" yammering in my brain while the quiet voice of the armchair director kept trying to say, "Hey, wait a minute..."

First, let me stress that I did like the movie. I liked the actors and I liked the feel and I liked the effects and I liked the acknowledgement of physics and I liked the new look to Metropolis (no longer NYC with some Metropolis signs tacked on, this city had a feel of its own) and I got the same chills down my spine I remember from decades ago. This was undoubtedly a Superman movie, and I'm very glad it got made. I'll see it again and buy it on DVD and hope for a sequel.

But a couple of the things in it bother me, quite a bit. Not the piddly things, like why no one connected Clark's reappearance after five years with Superman's coincidental return. For one thing, that was addressed in the movie; note how virtually everyone (except possibly for Jimmy) ignores or dismisses Clark right away. You might notice his resemblance to Superman but only if you actually looked, and no one ever does. This isn't the "Lois and Clark" Clark who's a star reporter and part of the Lane and Kent writing team. This Clark is a solid but unremarkable reporter who only got his job back because someone died.
Also, from what I understand there was a scene shot of Martha Kent addressing postcards from Clark to be postmarked from Tibet or wherever to help maintain the illusion, but it was never used.
And Clark's little spaceship must have a damn good drive in it if he can make a roundtrip in half a decade even though Jor-El, in his own words, has been dead for "many thousands of your years."

No, those are details that I'm willing to swallow for a bigger story. It's that bigger story that bothers me.

First, the movie's believability hinges on three things: that I believe that Superman is incredibly irresponsible, that Luthor is incredibly stupid, and that Lois hopped in bed with some new guy the instant Superman left the atmosphere.

I do not accept Superman abandoning the Earth, Lois, and humanity without some sort of mention. I just don't. It's irresponsible. And, since for other plot points to work he would have had to leave pretty much immediately after the events of Superman II, that would mean that within days of saying to the President, "Good afternoon, Mr. President, sorry I've been away so long, I won't let you down again," he bailed. I don't think so. It's failing his duty, not to mention he had to know what it would do to Lois. Didn't work for me.

There's no way Luthor could have thought his plan would work. I didn't see that he'd made any plans for dealing with anything besides Superman, but he would have had to know that he'd be attacked by every other country in the world. Long before the United States went under the waves they'd have launched everything they had at him. And who would buy land from him after he committed genocide? Who would want to live on a barren rock? Unless he can jigger some of those crystals to produce crop-bearing land, it simply wasn't workable. It would have made more sense for him to whip a crystal into the middle of the Pacific Ocean. He would have proven his father wrong (you can make more land), it wouldn't have immediately caused a world war, and he'd be emperor of his own, brand-new, Superman-proof continent. There still would have been massive loss of life due to coastal flooding, but it might not have affected Metropolis, which I guess was a design spec.

And if Lois thought Jason was Richard's son, it must be because she celebrated Superman's disappearance by jumping in the sack with some new guy immediately. Mr. Singer? Most women and all OB-GYN doctors can do the math. I'm willing to accept the kid, however, if and only if they don't shy away from the repurcussions in future movies. How would Lois react to finding out Superman wiped her memories? How would Lois react to finding out she'd discovered his identity, had sex with him, and then Superman wiped her memories? From her current point of view, she's been date-raped. Even if he convinced her it was for the best, how could she trust him again?

And one big problem: why isn't Superman American anymore? Not to be jingoist or even nationalist, but a big part of who Superman is came from his identification with American ideals as personified by Jonathan and Martha Kent. Here Perry White asked, "Does he still stand for truth, justice, and... all that stuff?" Reportedly Singer didn't want to alienate foreign markets with the phrase "American Way," but I think it was a bad call.

But what really bothered me is that clearly Superman is the main character here and Clark Kent is the disguise, whereas in my favorite stories of the character it's exactly the other way around. He's human, no matter where he came from, and the simple, bedrock-solid moral compass of the Kents defined Superman's values. In the first movie, when he's anguishing over Lois, he wavers between Jor-El's commandment and Pa Kent's teaching and he goes with Pa. In the second he chooses humanity and love over power, and then sacrifices his own happiness to save others. In this movie he is Jor-El's only begotten son and that's the end of it. He makes no moral choices in this movie, other than ducking responsibilities, and that's just not Superman to me.

I really did love the movie, despite the disappointments, the false notes, and the almost complete lack of good quotable lines that the first two movies were crammed full of. But I hope Singer and Co. address these issues in the next one.

[ June 28, 2006, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
OK, the thrill has worn off and I can look more critically at the movie now. When I left the theater it was with a strong sense of "ohboyohboyohboy" yammering in my brain while the quiet voice of the armchair director kept trying to say, "Hey, wait a minute..."

First, let me stress that I did like the movie. I liked the actors and I liked the feel and I liked the effects and I liked the acknowledgement of physics and I liked the new look to Metropolis (no longer NYC with some Metropolis signs tacked on, this city had a feel of its own) and I got the same chills down my spine I remember from decades ago. This was undoubtedly a Superman movie, and I'm very glad it got made. I'll see it again and buy it on DVD and hope for a sequel.

But a couple of the things in it bother me, quite a bit. Not the piddly things, like why no one connected Clark's reappearance after five years with Superman's coincidental return. For one thing, that was addressed in the movie; note how virtually everyone (except possibly for Jimmy) ignores or dismisses Clark right away. You might notice his resemblance to Superman but only if you actually looked, and no one ever does. This isn't the "Lois and Clark" Clark who's a star reporter and part of the Lane and Kent writing team. This Clark is a solid but unremarkable reporter who only got his job back because someone died.
Also, from what I understand there was a scene shot of Martha Kent addressing postcards from Clark to be postmarked from Tibet or wherever to help maintain the illusion, but it was never used.
And Clark's little spaceship must have a damn good drive in it if he can make a roundtrip in half a decade even though Jor-El, in his own words, has been dead for "many thousands of your years."

No, those are details that I'm willing to swallow for a bigger story. It's that bigger story that bothers me.

First, the movie's believability hinges on two things: that I believe that Superman is incredibly irresponsible, and that Luthor is incredibly stupid.

I do not accept Superman abandoning the Earth, Lois, and humanity without some sort of mention. I just don't. It's irresponsible. And, since for other plot points to work he would have had to leave pretty much immediately after the events of Superman II, that would mean that within days of saying to the President, "Good afternoon, Mr. President, sorry I've been away so long, I won't let you down again," he bailed. I don't think so. It's failing his duty, not to mention he had to know what it would do to Lois. Didn't work for me.

There's no way Luthor could have thought his plan would work. I didn't see that he'd made any plans for dealing with anything besides Superman, but he would have had to know that he'd be attacked by every other country in the world. Long before the United States went under the waves they'd have launched everything they had at him. And who would buy land from him after he committed genocide? Who would want to live on a barren rock? Unless he can jigger some of those crystals to produce crop-bearing land, it simply wasn't workable. It would have made more sense for him to whip a crystal into the middle of the Pacific Ocean. He would have proven his father wrong (you can make more land), it wouldn't have immediately caused a world war, and he'd be emperor of his own, brand-new, Superman-proof continent. There still would have been massive loss of life due to coastal flooding, but it might not have affected Metropolis, which I guess was a design spec.

More problems. Since Lois apparently had no doubts that Jason was Richard's son, she must have celebrated Superman's disappearance by jumping in the sack with some new guy immediately. Mr. Singer? Most women and all OB-GYN doctors can do the math. I'm willing to accept the kid, however, if and only if they don't shy away from the repurcussions in future movies. How would Lois react to finding out Superman wiped her memories? How would Lois react to finding out she'd discovered his identity, had sex with him, and then Superman wiped her memories? From her current point of view, she's been date-raped. Even if he convinced her it was for the best, how could she trust him again?

And one big problem: why isn't Superman American anymore? Not to be jingoist or even nationalist, but a big part of who Superman is came from his identification with American ideals as personified by Jonathan and Martha Kent. Here Perry White asked, "Does he still stand for truth, justice, and... all that stuff?" Reportedly Singer didn't want to alienate foreign markets with the phrase "American Way," but I think it was a bad call.

But what really bothered me is that clearly Superman is the main character here and Clark Kent is the disguise, whereas in my favorite stories of the character it's exactly the other way around. He's human, no matter where he came from, and the simple, bedrock-solid moral compass of the Kents defined Superman's values. In the first movie, when he's anguishing over Lois, he wavers between Jor-El's commandment and Pa Kent's teaching and he goes with Pa. In the second he chooses humanity and love over power, and then sacrifices his own happiness to save others. He makes no moral choices in this movie, other than ducking responsibilities, and that's just not Superman to me.

I really did love the movie, despite the disappointments, the false notes, and the almost complete lack of good quotable lines that the first two movies were crammed full of. But I hope Singer and Co. address these issues in the next one.

You have quite the wait ahead of you unfortunately

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/714/714915p1.html

^^ Oh yay everyone is ready to go if Bryan wants to.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/714/714770p1.html

DENIED! Well at least as long as Singer feels he needs for his vacation.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
According to the novelization, Chris, Clark didn't think he'd be gone for five years. He was planning on being gone for a couple of months, at most, until he was knocked off course and years got added to his travel time.

I take it that scene was not in the movie?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Would've helped a lot. Even a quick line added to the scene were Clark is comforting Martha after returning. "I thought I'd only be gone for a couple of months, Ma, but I got thrown off course. I'm sorry." One of the biggest complaints about the movie, gone in one line of dialogue.

A quick googling found this quote from Singer:
"I don't know about the first release of the DVD, but there's a sequence I cut from the movie, a pretty significant sequence, and that sequence will appear at some point on (a DVD edition of the movie). It's kind of a fun look into Superman's journey off the Earth (into space that) I didn't use it in the movie. It might be on the DVD. I haven't decided yet."

[ June 28, 2006, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
Like you Chris, for me there were a couple of things that logically didn’t click but I was just too damn entertained to care. I’m going to have a shot at trying to combat some of your points – sit back, and struggle through the ride.

While I agree that it is pretty irresponsible just upping and leaving, there are a couple of thoughts that soften the blow. First of all, I remember reading that part of the cut beginning scenes you quoted involved Lex getting Stanford to put out a false story that there were signs of life in order to draw Supes away from Earth before Lex’s trial. Also, I felt Clark’s conversation with Lois about it being too hard to say goodbye showed an attempt to turn Superman into an actual person who, while physically and morally strong, is not a robot. I’ve also read a review from someone who was adopted and they commented that for some there is just a consuming need to discover who you are; if there is really anything more. Maybe Brian Singer’s life experiences (Jewish, adopted, openly gay) have given him a different perspective. In the end, I feel it’s all just an extended metaphor for how Superman has left the public conscience, and so I didn’t consider it that important. Still, you can’t mark a movie on what ifs, so logic points have to be docked.

On your second point, it was touched upon in Luthor’s “interview” with Lois. “Bring it on!” He has advanced alien technology – from the twenty eight known galaxies no less – and amongst that is weaponry. I’m guessing also amongst that is everything else he needs. New Krypton will sink the States, send the world spiralling into chaos. Lex is untouchable: he will sell all who can afford it a safe haven. He will sell a better world. That fact doesn’t change because he’s the one who wrecked the old one. Let the savages fight over the rest of Earth, he’s the ruler of his own little happy uber-kingdom, and he’s killed Superman to boot. “I just want to bring fire to the people. And I want my cut.”

The bed jumping is a huge hole; I’ve got nothing. Still, at least the writers made her jump for a good guy. Plus: “I did Superman.” *giggle* “I covered Superman.”

About the American Way. As a child of the global community with much love for that ideal it hurts me to say that to most of the world, the word America no longer means that. America is the land of cutthroats and slander. While this exists everywhere – humanity isn’t restricted by borders – the position the United States of America finds itself in puts it on that pedestal for others to pick apart, and all the good gets overwhelmed. I can see why Singer changed it. Personally, I wouldn’t have. The only way for the American Way to return is for it to be put to use, and I can think of no better way to promote it then placing it up there in the sky. Singer chickened out.

Finally, my favourite Superman is like the one in Birthright, which I thought this fit in well enough with. Just because Clark Kent is used as a disguise doesn’t mean that he’s not the Clark Kent that was raised on that farm. He just changed his name to Superman to avoid the paper work, the lazy sod.

So, despite some of the stuff, to me, “It’s like freaking Gone With the Wind.”

And, I want to come out clearly and state that the soundtrack was absolutely amazing. “Memories” is just as good a theme as the original march or the Krypton theme (which wasn’t loud enough at the beginning but I guess they wanted you to be able to hear zombie-Brando).

Also, on the good quotes front, besides the ones I’ve already mentioned, I’m thinking:
“Come on, let me hear you say it. Just once.”
“You're insane.”
“No, not that! No, the other thing. I know it’s just on the tip of your tongue.”
“Superman will never...”
“WRONG!”

“You wrote that the world doesn't need a saviour, but every day I hear people crying for one.”

“Gods are selfish beings who fly around in little red capes and don't share their power with mankind.”

“I’m always around.”

PS. Did anyone else here catch that the one dog had eaten the other when they were first shown? I started laughing hysterically. EVERYONE else was silent. My friend looked at me like I was an idiot. Then, “Weren’t there two dogs?” and all of a sudden everyone was like “Oh, he’s not insane” and let out this huge laugh.

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Oh, I can explain everything I complained about. I just don't think I should have to, especially when it wouldn't have taken that much to address. And that's really what bothers me so much, that the glaring problems with the movie could have been fixed very easily and weren't.

He could have mentioned to his mom that he was gone longer than he expected. One line, and I'm happy. Or, better yet, he could have asked his mom how long he'd been gone and then found out, with us, that it's been 5 years. Then we could have seen the horror on his face as he realized what everyone must have been going through. He becomes a much more sympathetic character because it's not his fault. We would have felt sorry for him when he found out Lois had moved on, instead of thinking "Dude, you totally deserved that. What did you expect?" As it is, he comes across like "I was gone and couldn't hurt you by telling you. Get over it." Didn't apologize once, that I noticed.

I'm not gay or Jewish, but I am adopted, so I reserve the right to bust on Singer for missing an easy fix.

It may be simply that he has a different vision of Superman than I do. He sees (I believe) Superman as the lonely, outsider, Christ figure, who's birth father guides him still, with a nod to his adopted parents. I prefer to focus on how the Kents took him in and made him their own, and the strength he draws from that. Both parts of the mythos, agreed, just a slightly different emphasis. And my Superman wouldn't have gone without saying goodbye, even for just a few months.

"I’m always around." I laughed when he said that, because the obvious answer is, "Really? For how long this time?"

Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

quote:
Didn't apologize once, that I noticed.
"I'm sorry I left you."

But yeah, it seems so easy to fix. You've just got to realise that not everyone has the writing talent you do. I've decided that all future movies have to be passed by you first before they're made. Hollywood's already been informed.

Seriously, why aren't you employed in making my entertainment better? There's one thing I know for sure Chris, and that is you are here for a reason. I don't know what it is exactly, but I do know this much: it's not to arm-chair direct.

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Cuz I'm lazy. And live on the opposite coast from LA. Personally I want to jump right to the part where they just Fed-Ex scripts to me to fix and then send me money. Easier all around. [Smile]

Again: I really did like the movie. I probably wouldn't be as bothered by this stuff if I didn't.

Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

I've got some time tomorrow, I'll write a letter to Joss Whedon about you. How do you feel about Wonder Woman? It probably won't come to anything, but your looking at a guy who sent a Papal application to the vatican.

Edit: Thought I'd share this (beware: bad language).

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, found this movie long and at times
boring, predictable, cliche.

First complaint. The opening. Extravegant and dull. Waste of money.

The airplane scene. Firstly, I didn't quite get why the crystal would take all that energy. Nor did I really "get" how. The PR woman on the flight was great. The actual sequence of events was predictable completely.

We all know that superman will just barely come in time. We all know no one would be hurt. Let's ignore the moments spent outside the atmosphere, let's ignore the wild thrashing on the plane that would, realistictly, be fatal.

I didn't enjoy the visual aspect of that scene, which might be its redeeming grace.

The whole superman love story was disturbing in its utter stupidity and the fairly predictable love arc. I was just surprised that she didn't marry him/have Richard die convinentally, but I guess that would be too happy.

The lack of a mask of superman is an inherent flaw to the comic, but I couldn't help but make such lines as "Oh no! Superman's on the ground! Now they can take his --his mask off and find out who he is! ... oh, wait...never mind."

I didn't like the utter stupidity of Lex Luther. I didn't like the VERY predicatble story of Kitty betraying him at a critical moment. I spent the whole movie trying to figure out when it would be exactly.

The way Superman deals with the new stuff is silly. Wait, so when he stands on top of it, it drains him. But when he pushes it from under, it doesn't? What?!?!

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pissed. Pure and simple.

Singer ripped Superman's still beating heart out of his chest and left it along side the road somewhere as he made this movie.

The Superman I grew up with and loved was decidedly not the deadbeat dad of steel.

To take the Boy Scout of comicdom and make him the most sexually irresponsible superhero ever is a betrayal I will never forgive Singer for.

It's a good thing he wasn't standing outside the theatre when I left, or I'd have popped him in the mouth.

It's probably a good idea if I never go to a comic convention, ever, because I'll probably still want to pop him in the mouth.

Words cannot describe how upset I am with this "new direction" for the character.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

So...where in the film did it indicate Clark knew Lois was pregnant after the events of Superman II? He seemed to be surprised and saddened.

Plus (at least judging by the novelization's version of the original opening) he didn't plan to be gone for years.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Puffy, are you talking to me?

The whole point of the movie was that Superman didn't know.

At some point (and count me in the camp that believes it COULDN'T have been in Superman II. Lois's reaction to the piano was more like, "Oh." than like, "It's an immaculate conception!") Superman and Lois conceived this kid. A guy with X-ray and microscopic vision would have to have at least been curious enough, let alone responsible enough to see if a child had been conceieved.

To me, this is altering Superman's underlying morality in a way that even Frank Miller would never have dreamed of.

Because Frank Miller alters charcacters in ways that, even when disturbing, are still true to the underlying core of the character. You might not like that Superman becomes a patsy for the feds, or that Batman becomes a "Dark Knight," but at least they seem true to what that character is about. They even seem to challenge the underlying assumptions about the character.

Here, they just took Superman in some direction that makes no sense. It would be like the Ender's Game movie having a subplot where Ender kills a Jeesh in their sleep because they stole some game stragey. It would be impossible to do that without fundimentally altering the story or the character.

As for him not planning to be gone for years--novelization not withstanding, in this movie, he knew it was going to be a while. He would have not thought it was SOOO hard to say good-bye to everybody if it had been for a couple of months. It wasn't, "I didn't mean for it to be this long." It was, "My pain was more important than being considerate to you."

Which, when you add in that he ditched Lois after having slept with her, puts a whole new spin on her anger with him, kid notwithstanding.

But none of that is as important to me as the fact that, in a world where family and morality is in decline, adding Superman, the most wholesome of all heros, to the list of those who want to make fathering children at random seem more cool than tragic, is destruction of an icon.

Gah. This isn't my Superman. If this seeps into the comic books and the rest of the Superman mythos, I will consider something close to my heart ruined.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw it and whiile I enjoyed it, I too think it would have been immeasurably improved by including that one line you and others have mentioned, Chris.

Hell, the best way would be for him to have some reason to believe he was going to look for something other than a wreck and graveyard. Like, maybe when he reports the astronomer's findings to his Crys-Dad, Jor-El is shocked and thinks it's possible that if there are large chunks of Kyrpton left, there might be survivors. Sure, it'd be millenia later, but that would be something he could conceivably leave Right The Hell Now for and Drop Everything.

And then for some reason it takes an extra, say, four years and eleven months and three weeks than expected.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

It would be nice to know what led to the pregnancy, I also wonder what kind of protection would be adequet against super sperm? It could be that they got pregnant over drinks...

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Bryan Signer has indicated Michael Lane was the result of the romance Clark and Lois had in Superman II. During the brief period when he was mortal, and felt like he could have a legitimate life with Lois. Which (in the Superman Returns timeline) happened shortly before Clark left to explore the mysterious "Kryptonian" transmissions.

Remember, Superman II ended with Clark erasing Lois' momemory of their time together...-not- because he wanted to play around responsibility-free...but because the recording of his mother and father specifically told him "You can only love as a mortal if you ARE a mortal yourself".

He considered (right or wrong) removing the knowledge of what Lois and he could never have to be merciful.

akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it tonight, and I loved it. I agree that making Superman a dead-beat dad is really lame, though. Like it's been said, that goes against everything we know and love about the guy.

Also, Phanto, what did you expect? I think 100% of the movie-going audience also observed everything you did but there was a crucial difference: they knew they were watching a SUPERMAN movie! How do you have beef with any of those elements of the movie? That's what the Superman universe *is*. And your beef with his "lack of a mask"...maybe you, personally, have some sort of problem with that, and have for some time, but that also is a defining feature of Superman. I don't get the point in bitching about it. And finally, I guess you were too fuming to notice the end of the movie. He flies around the island, he saves the family, he goes to find Luther, the whole time he uses his powers. Then, finally, his powers fail and Luther gets his kicks in. Okay. So, after, he flies under the island and takes it into space. Then, finally, his powers fail and he falls to Earth. How is that silly, barring the fact that it "could never happen" (surprise, surprise)?

Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw the movie and loved it and now for the picking of some really bothersome nits:

Although supes mind-wiped Lois in Superman II, I think he would have used his supervision at some point to confirm whether she had concieved. I agree that a simple line of dialogue, which is apparently in the novelization, that he only intended to be gone for a few months would have solved some of the problem.

The script should have made it clear that when Clark first sees the kid that he has some attachement, curiousity, or concern to the child. As it is it is not clear to me when Supes figuers out the kid is his or on what evidence he basis he figures out that the kid is his. Did someone tell him about the piano?

To me the big problem with the kid (is it too early to start calling him Superboy?) is Lois' reaction. She may have been suprised by the piano, but she hardly seemed curious about where the kid gets his strength. It like she always knew that Supes was the father. How does she know if Supes mind-wiped her in II?

I don't see any problem with Supes lifting the island. The closer to the sun he gets the stronger he gets. As I see it, he went into outer space first, charged up his cellular batteries, then he lifted the island. And he suffered a physical consequence.

As for those of you who criticize the story because noone can caonnect the dots between Supes and Clark Kent, this is a Superman story so get over it. That is part of the given elements of any Superman story. Its part of the general suspension of disbelieve that goes with the story, along with the flying, the superstrength, speed, etc. Why should the not seeing the connection be any less a part of the fantasy that the flying.

Overall though, a fun movie to watch. Hoping my local Imax get the 3D version.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

The problem is that while ON the island, Superman seems to need a matter of seconds to become weak and human. He lands, he walks to Lex, he get's beaten up. All within the span of say 20 seconds? On the other hand, it's only while he's lifting it from below, that his endurance seems to skyrocket.

Meh.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

And, to be honest, the fact that you have to have the "oh, wow, this is superman" mindset to enjoy the movie is not in any way a plus, akhockey.
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

I saw the success in lifting the Island as dependant on the non Island rock underneath, as that rock shield fell away Superman was weakened, as the Kryptonite grew near to him so too did he rise into direct solar energy. It seemed very realistic to me, Superman actually pushing himself beyond his limits to finish his task. Much more Heroic then just walking into blazing gunfire. It made sense, from that point of view.

BC

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody notice the similarity to Dead Zone in having Superman have a son, who is being raised by another man, who is a very good man, a hero in his own right? Let's see, Superman was gone for five years. Johnny Smith was in a coma for five years.

About the "American Way" thing. That line was spoken by Perry White, who is a cynical editor-in-chief, and everyone knows the media is hopelessly liberal. It would have been out of character for Perry White to say it any other way.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

The international market is now a huge part of movie making. People are VERY aware of international implications of their dialogue.

If you noticed in Titanic, Cameron was careful to sprinkle international "moments" throughout the film.

Same thing here. Lots of international extras, international moments, and no American flag in sight.

It's not a message, or a statement on the politics of the media. It's a way for the studio to try to get thier couple hundred million back.

Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

quote:
The lack of a mask of superman is an inherent flaw to the comic...
In Birthright the author talks about how Superman needs to appear the way he does. He's an alien, he's got all these crazy powers. It would be very easy not to trust him. Those primary colours insure that everyone can see him; that lack of a mask gives him a personal touch. You trust him because he appears so... childish. He doesn't look like he's hiding some dark secret. Would you trust Batman? (Of course, Batman doesn't want your trust.)
akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
And, to be honest, the fact that you have to have the "oh, wow, this is superman" mindset to enjoy the movie is not in any way a plus, akhockey.

Why? It's a Superman movie, and I'm a random audience member. I'm not a critic, I'm not judging it for Oscar-potential...I'm just watching it. And it was good.

Now if we're talking Fantastic Four, then yes, I can understand how that mindset would stop me from recognizing million-dollar-crap when I saw it.

Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bean Counter:
I saw the success in lifting the Island as dependant on the non Island rock underneath, as that rock shield fell away Superman was weakened, as the Kryptonite grew near to him so too did he rise into direct solar energy. It seemed very realistic to me, Superman actually pushing himself beyond his limits to finish his task. Much more Heroic then just walking into blazing gunfire. It made sense, from that point of view.

Good point. He did burrow beneath the Krypton Island. I hadn't though of that. In the movie he appears to weaken as the Krytonite tentacles work their way through the bottom of the island, and it is the Krytonite tentacles that break through the earth that weaken him as he struggles to lift the island. It is not the Kryptonite Island that weakens him so much as it is the tentacles of Kryptonite breaking through the earth.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

You knew it was coming, you knew it had to happen... The Armchair Director takes on Superman Returns.

Plenty of missed opportunities here, with fairly easy fixes. That's the goal of the Armchair Director. I don't tear apart, I offer only minor tweaks. I may have the scenes slightly out of order, this is from memory. Here's what I would have changed. If a scene is not mentioned, assume I thought it was perfect.

The opening stays, although I was unclear whether the burned out planets were in our solar system or Krypton's or something in the middle.

In the beginning Martha Kent is seen at home, but not doing dishes. Instead she is sitting at the kitchen table, carefully writing another postcard. In front of her is a file folder which apparently contains information and pictures of Tibet. We don't see all of what's she's writing, but words like "home soon" are visible, as is her hand signing the card with Clark's name. The address is Lois Lane, c/o The Daily Planet. Clearly she's been doing these for awhile. Her hand shakes, we see her face, which is upset. On to Clark's arrival as before.

When he wakes up Clark scans the news as before to catch up, a bit puzzled at how much has changed. When he sees Martha he's a bit surprised at the additional lines, then finds out that rather than the few months he thought he was gone, it's been five years (he didn't have a way to judge time distortion during the trip). Shock, dismay, despair at what everyone must have thought, the realization that he screwed up. He tells Martha about being alone, same as the movie.

Clark shows up at the Planet. No problems here. Finds out about Lois, still stunned and upset, but not shocked or surprised. Of course she'd move on. Still goes drinking with Jimmy.

Rescue of the shuttle/plane. Not as much time spent on the buildup, not as much time launching the shuttle to orbit. Rescue the plane as before, same landing, same public adoration. Little more reaction from Superman would be good - it's been five years since he's been adored, let him smile and wave a bit. Same blowoff to Lois, she still faints.

All the Lex scenes up til now, all the Superman rescues, no worries.

Superman's rooftop talk with Lois. He starts out confident, as before, but breaks a little when he admits he only expected to be away for a few months and everything's changed. Now she's still mad at him for not saying goodbye but she (and we) also feel a little sorry for him that he's going through this. More talk about her article and the thought behind it, let's see that she didn't write "Why the World Doesn't Need Superman" out of spite but because she really thought his presence was retarding humanity's growth, or whatever. I assume there was enough reason in the piece to earn the Pulitzer, let's hear it. Even better, let's see Superman recognize the validity of what's she's saying, making him even more of an outsider.
I'd want to work this out a bit -- it may be unworkable -- but it would be nice to see Lois a bit awkward here about her life. "When you left... I thought you were... you'd been... I didn't handle it well."
Superman: "Lois... I..."
Lois: "Richard was there for me." More confident, a little challenging. "Always." Implication being that a) Superman wasn't, and b) she jumped into an intimate relationship with Richard faster than she might have ordinarily because she was so upset about Superman being gone.
Superman: "I'm here for you, Lois."
Lois: "Yeah. But will you be here tomorrow? You didn't tell me you were going, even for a few months. What else aren't you telling me?"
He has no answer, and flies off. Continue with the scene as before.

All is good until Lois is trapped on Lex's ship. Lex's plan is to create a new continent in the Atlantic Ocean ("See, dad? Someone is making more land!"). It won't destroy North America per se, although there will be a lot of coastal flooding. Say, Metropolis is on the coast, isn't it?
I dunno how Lois happened to know the nautical location (she keeps a GPS in her purse?) and I doubt Lex would leave her alone with a FAX machine handy, so dump all that. Instead let her focus on getting free.
Ultimately Jason saves her by hitting the guy with a piano (but not killing him).
Lex launches the kryptonite crystal.

Clark, Richard, and Jimmy are trying to find Lois. They see the maps on her desk with an address circled, they start to head out for it when the power blows.
Out in the ocean, the crystals start to form.
When the power comes back up, Richard, Clark, and Jimmy talk about whatever's happening, Lois will be right in the middle of it. News reports come on about a strange thing in the Atlantic, and MiGs have been scrambled to investigate. Richard and Clark: "Lois!" and they run off in different directions. Superman heads out over the water but, like before, he has to go back and save Metropolis. This gives us time for:

Lex is looking around his new island. There is no Kryptonite visible, just black outcroppings. The girl and his henchmen bitch about the barrenness but he promises the next ones will be fertile, paradise on Earth. This first one is for a specific purpose. He goes to an area in the middle and, holding his breath, he waves his hand over the ground in front of him. After a pause, a control panel very like the one in the Fortress of Solitude appears. Black, like the rest of the place (in fact, by now it should be apparent that he's created an evil version of Superman's home). He starts hooking up one of the laptops to the control panel. He places a crystal in the panel; Jor-El's face appears, looking concerned. "Kal-El, what are you..."
Lex: "Back off, old man. There's a new kid in town."

Richard rescues Lois and Jason, Superman rescues them all.

The MiGs show up. Lex types furiously on the laptop. Beams of force erupt from the base of the control panel and take out the aircraft without a second's hesitation (there's a colorful streak across them just as they explode). Jor-El is alarmed. Lex loves it. "Bring it on! I can take out your ships, your nukes, anything you've got!"
Superman lets the pilots go to parachute safely down before he flies back to land directly in front of Lex, a look of disgust on his face when he sees the automatic Jor-El image running off to the side. Lex is not only threatening the world, he's screwing around with Superman's heritage.
Superman: Anything?
Lex smiles and punches him. This happens fast, so we don't have time to register that there's Kryptonite here (and neither does Superman, who let the punch land without fear and was thus completely taken by surprise when it knocked his ass down). The thugs beat him up and he lands in a crevice, splashing the water out so now we can all see just how much Kryptonite is under the rocky surface (answer: a lot). Maybe not so much "Passion of the Superman," this time, though. Lex pontificates that Superman could have ended world hunger, provided housing for all, but never did. Now Lex will, and the world will truly understand who was the greater hero. Superman tries to explain, using some of the same reasons Lois gave for the world not needing him, but Lex stabs him.

The world's militia is mobilizing. More aircraft and a missile or two show up and Lex swats them down like he's playing a video game. He tells the thugs to ready the next crystal. Lots of destruction, clearly Lex is unstoppable.

Same rescue by Richard and Lois, same recovery. This time Superman pauses before flying off and tells Lois, "This time I'm saying goodbye." He leaves.

Lex shoots at him and Superman takes it full in the chest. It doesn't kill him, but it does blow a big hole in his shirt and knock him back aways. Lex is frustrated. How many times does he have to kill this guy.
Superman is hurt, he can't get close, so he flies up and does the sun thing before zooming down and heatbeaming the base of the island. He hits the surface of the water spread-eagled so the wake smashes across the island washing the henchmen over the side into the ocean. Lex and Kitty manage to avoid being swept away. Lex hands Kitty the crystals; she starts to toss them but he grabs them away from her.
Lex: Why do women always foil me and help him? Is it the hair? He has better hair?
But he stumbles and loses them in a crevice when the island shakes and the place falling apart convinces him to get to the copter as the island begins to rise.

Superman pushes the island up. As chunks fall off and more Kryptonite is exposed, he cries out, obviously in pain, but doesn't stop. Finally, with his last burst of strength, he shoves the thing towards the sun. He has time for one last "Goodbye, father," before he falls.
The island hurtles towards the sun.
Superman falls.
We see the surface of the island heating, the water boiling away, the crystals starting to explode. The control panel melts and sparks, Jor-El's face vanishes (is he smiling?).
Superman hits the ground.

He's rushed into the hospital. Same as before, except his uniform does not get ripped like an old T-shirt (although they're welcome to try). We see doctors carefully removing the hundreds of tiny Kryptonite shards stuck in his bleeding hands. He flatlines, they revive him as before.

Lois visits. Same deal, but shows up before they leave -- he gave them their privacy -- and on the way out he mentions "I thought he got strength from sunlight."
Lois: He does.
Richard: So why were the blinds shut? Don't you guys have a solarium or something?
The doctors stop, stunned. Then things happen very quickly. Superman revives, waves to the docs, and flies away to the cheers of the crowds. He spots Martha and flies off to reappear as Clark in the crowd. She nods at the teeming mob. "Still think you're alone?" He hugs her. The message is clear: he has a parent who loves him, right here.

Closing scene. Still peeks in on Jason, but not so much with the father-son stuff. Does he know? For that matter, do we know? Leave it unclear. Same close with Lois, and he flies off into the sunset.

Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
The movie was ok but I don't think I'd spend money watching it again.

The movie was just "blah" for me. I'm a big fan of DC and I like superman as much as the next guy but from the very beginning I came with low expectations. The trailers gave me the impression that the movie would be all about using superman's popularity and a metric ton of special effects. In those respects the movie was exactly as I thought it would be.

I liked Kevin Spacey's portrayal of Lex, and his acting was great. However, every time I saw him on-screen I wished Lex would be a mix of Smallville's Lex and Spacey's Lex. While on the topic of Luthor, I absolutely hated what they did to him as a character. So he gets his money from an old widow? Ok, let's overlook that and focus on something else. His master plan was to create a big chunk of rock in the ocean and sell the land off to people? Last time I checked there was still plenty of unused land on the planet, why would people pay for radioactive, spiky, barren land when they could just settle somewhere else?

Not only that, but his plot to deal with superman was ridiculous. It would have been better if he'd made some kryptonite bullets, heck, anything but what he did in the movie. So his big evil plan is to deliberatly attract superman to his "evil island" and then when he's on the ground, powerless, have his thugs beat him up? Then, Luthor goes and stabs him with a kryptonite shard and then doesn't even make sure he's dead?! Who is this person, Lex Luthor or freaking Dr. Evil?!

Seriously. I was so completely and utterly dissapointed with this Lex that any saving points the movie might have had were gone. Lex Luthor isn't stupid, Superman doesn't consider him one of his most dangerous enemies because he might poke him with some kryptonite! Lex is a ruthless genius who comes up with clever plots. He is not just a thug wearing a suit, he's an evil mastermind!

And don't get me started on the whole Superman and Lois thing. Mr. I-stand-for-truth-and-justice guy, goes out and flies to the rooftop to flirt with a woman who has a kid and a fiancee?

* Is severely dissapointed by the movie and Singer*

[ June 29, 2006, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Rico ]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

But it's Superman!

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it, but I want Chris to direct all new comic-book movies.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
As always, Chris needs to be the final script doctor to yet another film. My own thoughts can be summed up with the following bastardization of an old rhyme:

There was a super man
Who had a super curl
Right in the middle of his forehead.
When the film was good, it was very very good
But when it was bad, it was horrid.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EKR
Member # 9545

- posted      Profile for EKR   Email EKR         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris Bridges.... You gotta realize, the movie was 2 1/2 hours. In different ways, you have to appeal to both true fans of the comics, as well as the general public. With your little Armchair directing, you're adding waaayyy too many... well, useless details. There are times when you have to just sit back and enjoy the movie. Not criticise it frame by frame.

quote:
In the beginning Martha Kent is seen at home, but not doing dishes. Instead she is sitting at the kitchen table, carefully writing another postcard. In front of her is a file folder which apparently contains information and pictures of Tibet. We don't see all of what's she's writing, but words like "home soon" are visible, as is her hand signing the card with Clark's name. The address is Lois Lane, c/o The Daily Planet. Clearly she's been doing these for awhile.
This whole scene, is unnecessary. With brief mentions by Jimmy Olsen of Clark being in Tibet and seeing llamas... It sums up 4 or 5 minutes in as little as 15 seconds. And the scene with Clark and his mother is enough to know how deeply she missed her son.

quote:
When he wakes up Clark scans the news as before to catch up, a bit puzzled at how much has changed. When he sees Martha he's a bit surprised at the additional lines, then finds out that rather than the few months he thought he was gone, it's been five years (he didn't have a way to judge time distortion during the trip). Shock, dismay, despair at what everyone must have thought, the realization that he screwed up. He tells Martha about being alone, same as the movie.
Now this would have actually been a nice touch. Much like the Tibet ordeal, it sums up the explanation of Clark being gone so long without a single word. His reactions to the changing times would be all that one would need to put the puzzle together.

quote:
Rescue of the shuttle/plane. Not as much time spent on the buildup, not as much time launching the shuttle to orbit. Rescue the plane as before, same landing, same public adoration. Little more reaction from Superman would be good - it's been five years since he's been adored, let him smile and wave a bit. Same blowoff to Lois, she still faints.
Superman is a modest individual. He's not going to gloat in front of the cameras. Lane's reaction when she saw the streak of blue out of the airplane window... It needed no words. Was she seeing a ghost? Superman has ALWAYS been there when she TRULY needed him. If you think about it, he really has always been there for her when the time really counted.

quote:
Superman's rooftop talk with Lois. He starts out confident, as before, but breaks a little when he admits he only expected to be away for a few months and everything's changed. Now she's still mad at him for not saying goodbye but she (and we) also feel a little sorry for him that he's going through this. More talk about her article and the thought behind it, let's see that she didn't write "Why the World Doesn't Need Superman" out of spite but because she really thought his presence was retarding humanity's growth, or whatever. I assume there was enough reason in the piece to earn the Pulitzer, let's hear it. Even better, let's see Superman recognize the validity of what's she's saying, making him even more of an outsider.
I'd want to work this out a bit -- it may be unworkable -- but it would be nice to see Lois a bit awkward here about her life. "When you left... I thought you were... you'd been... I didn't handle it well."
Superman: "Lois... I..."
Lois: "Richard was there for me." More confident, a little challenging. "Always." Implication being that a) Superman wasn't, and b) she jumped into an intimate relationship with Richard faster than she might have ordinarily because she was so upset about Superman being gone.
Superman: "I'm here for you, Lois."
Lois: "Yeah. But will you be here tomorrow? You didn't tell me you were going, even for a few months. What else aren't you telling me?"
He has no answer, and flies off. Continue with the scene as before.

Lois and Superman are not a squabbling high school couple. That whole conversation between them sounds like one I had with a paranoid girlfriend. Lois is strong and confident, not catty and paranoid. And Lois doesn't get awkward. She tries her best not to show weakness.

quote:
All is good until Lois is trapped on Lex's ship. Lex's plan is to create a new continent in the Atlantic Ocean ("See, dad? Someone is making more land!"). It won't destroy North America per se, although there will be a lot of coastal flooding. Say, Metropolis is on the coast, isn't it?
I dunno how Lois happened to know the nautical location (she keeps a GPS in her purse?) and I doubt Lex would leave her alone with a FAX machine handy, so dump all that. Instead let her focus on getting free.
Ultimately Jason saves her by hitting the guy with a piano (but not killing him).
Lex launches the kryptonite crystal.

Lois knew the location of the ship because of the following conversation.
Lex: "Who is his father?"
Lane: I forgot what she said. But something about Richard.
(In background)"Lex, we've reached the position." (Or something of that nature.)
Lex: "Are you sure?" (responding to Lois)
(In background) "Yeah, (gives coordinates) just like you said."

There, that simple. No GPS. Just something simple and easily missed if not paying attention to the movie.

quote:

Clark, Richard, and Jimmy are trying to find Lois. They see the maps on her desk with an address circled, they start to head out for it when the power blows.
Out in the ocean, the crystals start to form.
When the power comes back up, Richard, Clark, and Jimmy talk about whatever's happening, Lois will be right in the middle of it. News reports come on about a strange thing in the Atlantic, and MiGs have been scrambled to investigate. Richard and Clark: "Lois!" and they run off in different directions. Superman heads out over the water but, like before, he has to go back and save Metropolis. This gives us time for

Wasting screen time!! And this isn't the Hardy Brothers... We're not solving a mystery with scooby doo.

quote:
Lex is looking around his new island. There is no Kryptonite visible, just black outcroppings. The girl and his henchmen bitch about the barrenness but he promises the next ones will be fertile, paradise on Earth. This first one is for a specific purpose. He goes to an area in the middle and, holding his breath, he waves his hand over the ground in front of him. After a pause, a control panel very like the one in the Fortress of Solitude appears. Black, like the rest of the place (in fact, by now it should be apparent that he's created an evil version of Superman's home). He starts hooking up one of the laptops to the control panel. He places a crystal in the panel; Jor-El's face appears, looking concerned. "Kal-El, what are you..."
Lex: "Back off, old man. There's a new kid in town."

Jor-El isn't a conscious being. He can't react to the doings of who he thinks is Kal-El. And this whole scene would be pointless. Also!! Lex... that line. Is just not Lex Luthor. He's not a mindless thug.

quote:
The MiGs show up. Lex types furiously on the laptop. Beams of force erupt from the base of the control panel and take out the aircraft without a second's hesitation (there's a colorful streak across them just as they explode). Jor-El is alarmed. Lex loves it. "Bring it on! I can take out your ships, your nukes, anything you've got!"
Superman lets the pilots go to parachute safely down before he flies back to land directly in front of Lex, a look of disgust on his face when he sees the automatic Jor-El image running off to the side. Lex is not only threatening the world, he's screwing around with Superman's heritage.
Superman: Anything?
Lex smiles and punches him. This happens fast, so we don't have time to register that there's Kryptonite here (and neither does Superman, who let the punch land without fear and was thus completely taken by surprise when it knocked his ass down). The thugs beat him up and he lands in a crevice, splashing the water out so now we can all see just how much Kryptonite is under the rocky surface (answer: a lot). Maybe not so much "Passion of the Superman," this time, though. Lex pontificates that Superman could have ended world hunger, provided housing for all, but never did. Now Lex will, and the world will truly understand who was the greater hero. Superman tries to explain, using some of the same reasons Lois gave for the world not needing him, but Lex stabs him.

More useless screen time. We're not watching Independence Day. Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum are nowhere to be found. And like Superman, Lex is "modest." He's not going to waste his time proclaiming "I'm king of the world!" He doesn't gloat in his victory. He takes it as it comes and plans his next step. He's a smart man.

That's all I have time for at this moment.

Thank you.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With your little Armchair directing, you're adding waaayyy too many... well, useless details.
One man's "useless detail" is another man's depth.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I'd like to add: My younger brothers told me that the "Jason White" character was actually named "Michael Lane". Last time I ask them to help with my terrible memory for such details. [Razz]
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

quote:
and MiGs have been scrambled to investigate
All the way from Russia? All the US planes busy in the Gulf?

BC

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to see how they did Krypton.
Those were always my favorite scenes...the Kryptonian society and their crystals.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

With your little Armchair directing, you're adding waaayyy too many... well, useless details. There are times when you have to just sit back and enjoy the movie. Not criticise it frame by frame.

Actually I criticized three major plot points that not only prevented me from fully enjoying the movie but actually hurt the franchise. In my opinion, obviously. Your mileage may vary.

This whole scene, is unnecessary. With brief mentions by Jimmy Olsen of Clark being in Tibet and seeing llamas... It sums up 4 or 5 minutes in as little as 15 seconds. And the scene with Clark and his mother is enough to know how deeply she missed her son.

The scene with Jimmy explains where he said he was, but not why they wouldn't have thought it odd he was gone the same time as Superman. Postcards from Tibet would have helped. Also, this was mentioned specifically in one of the prequel Superman Returns comics that DC has been putting out the last few weeks. I just borrowed it. The mention of Martha's worry is because I was replacing the existing scene and didn't want to lose that aspect of it. But my real addition was the notion that Clark didn't realize he'd been gone so long, which would have gone a long way towards ameliorating what I saw as his callous attitude in the movie.

Superman is a modest individual. He's not going to gloat in front of the cameras.

Not waving to the cameras. Waving to the people. But not a really necessary change, just a tweak on my part.

Lois is strong and confident, not catty and paranoid. And Lois doesn't get awkward. She tries her best not to show weakness.

I said in the post that what I wanted would be tough to write. The rooftop scene bugged me because they didn't seem to connect. Maybe that was intentional, maybe that was Singer playing up the "I'm alone" aspect. But I had no sympathy for this Superman and a bit of hostility that he was flirting with an afianced singlle mom. Had he been away for so long by accident, his confusion and desire to make things the way they were would have been understandable. Being gone for 5 years without warning on purpose, I got no sympathy for him at all that he lost his one true love. Wah. As mentioned, this was in the original script but not in the movie and it really, really should have been.

There, that simple. No GPS. Just something simple and easily missed if not paying attention to the movie.

Good catch, and I did indeed miss that. Thanks. I'll leave that alone, then.

Wasting screen time!! (on the Jimmy and Clark and Richard scene)

I can bend on how they find her. But I absolutely insist on someone besides Superman noticing a new island forming off the coast. Even before the current political climate it would have been noticed -- especially with shock waves hitting Metropolis -- and these days there would have been immediate and definite response. Although not, admittedly, by MiGs. My bad, I don't know military stuff. Please insert whatever funky aircraft we would have sent.

Jor-El isn't a conscious being. He can't react to the doings of who he thinks is Kal-El. And this whole scene would be pointless. Also!! Lex... that line. Is just not Lex Luthor. He's not a mindless thug.

Jor-El certainly responds to Clark when he asks questions. And Lara had a whole conversation with him in Supes II. But I'm willing to drop the Jor-El part (probably cost to much to CG new Brando lines anyway). The control panel stays, though.

Lex brags to Lois about the awesome weaponry available to him from the crystals, but that's it. On his new island, he's sitting waiting and the thugs are playing cards. That's it. Lex is not that stupid. He'd be ready.
And remember, this is the Lex from the movies, not the comics. "Lex Luthor? The greatest criminal mind of our time?" Of course he would say stuff like that.

We're not watching Independence Day. Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum are nowhere to be found.

And neither is the United States military. Apparently all of this is happening in a vacuum and everyone's just going to wait around and hope Superman saves the day. I don't buy it. We would mobilize, fast, at least with something to do a fly over and get a visual. This would have allowed us to see how Lex was using the crystals to defend his new country and acknowledged that this was a threat we couldn't handle on our own.
I also think it's important that Superman not wander around on the surface before Lex hits him. No way he wouldn't have noticed Kryptonite unless he hadn't had time yet.

My suggestions won't work for everybody. I'd like to see the movie again, for fun and to see what else I missed. And I'd like to read the novelization to see if there were already answers to these problems that were left out for some reason.

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the dimension Smallville gave to the Jor-El identity programmed into the crystals in the Fortress of Solitude. That Jor-El construct can interact. It is clearly an Artificial Intelligence, not just a recording.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

I was disappointed in the fact that for all thier technical expertise on Krypton they have pretty poor security on the old database, I mean, not even a password? No DNA scan? Superman just figured it was impossible for mere mortals to get that far into the arctic, I am surprised it was not siezed by the Military.

BC

Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I really like your additions to the movie. Gives it more realism.

Question: wouldn't the huge crack in the ocean floor and the sudden appearance of a giant island cause...not just a shockwave, but a tidal wave? I expected more water.

I also would have cared a lot less about the return of superman than a huge blackout across the East coast. That kind of thing would be terrifying.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

I wonder if the screenwriters realize that the Arctic is open ocean during a couple of months every summer, when the ice melts?
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta say, I'm not bothered by the idea of Superman leaving in spite of what he said at the end of Superman II. Somehow it makes him seem more... well, 'human'. He actually gave in to a selfish desire and put what he wanted above what the world needed. Is it irresponsible? Only if you believe that the entire world is Superman's responsibility. But the fact is that he really isn't a god. He's really just a man with incredible abilities.

What I'm more curious about is when did he and Lois do the deed? I thought at first that it might have been during the time when he lost his powers in Superman II, but the problem with that is Lois lost her memories of that time, so you'd figure she'd be a tad confused as to how she was impregnated... If it was any other time, it raises the issue of can Superman have sex with a woman without killing her, and would Superman get that intimate with Lois and STILL not tell her who he is...?

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

If we're taking the novelization as canon, then I certainly hope this is true.
docmagik
Member # 1131

And while I'm back on the topic, the whole Superman II thing is such a cop-out.

If you asked your typical moviegoer where that kid came from--I'm not talking about us, I'm talking about Joe Six-pack catching a movie on his first day off in three months--if you ask him where the kid came from, he's not going to say, "Well you see, there was a brief period during which they had an affair after Superman gave up his powers. However, after General Zod and two other Kryptonians escaped from the Phantom Zone, Superman had to reclaim his powers to fight them, and gave Lois a kiss of sufficent emotional impact as to erase all memory of the affair."

He'd look at you like you'd just landed from Mars and say, "Don't you know anything? Lois Lane's Superman's girlfriend!"

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

What exactly is your point?
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I dunno. I think the average moviegoer would be more likely to remember Superman getting together with Lois because the average moviegoer saw Superman I and II. Now, if you asked them about Superman dying, or who Brainiac was, or Superman Blue and Superman Red, they'd look at you like you were insane.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

That's true. The average movie-goer tends to watch movies (gasp). It's the comics that they're more likely to be unfamiliar with.
docmagik
Member # 1131

This isn't just movies vs. comics. This is Superman. There have been movies, TV shows, cartoons, comic books, comic strips, novels--there are probably as many people in the audience for Superman that know him through Smallville or the Bruce Timm cartoon or even Lois & Clark than through the second Donner film.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.