FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Hatracker Demograph

Author Topic: A Hatracker Demograph
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to take my own advice and try to map out some things that we all would find interesting about fellow hatrackers. I'd like it to involve as much of the community as possible, so Ill be doing it in stages.

Stage 1: Gathering ideas for questions people would like to know about Mao Zi Dao Men, (Hatrackers in Chinese, my own translation [Big Grin] Pronounced Mao (Ow! with an M at the beggining) Zi (tzzzz) Dao (as in Ow! with a D) Men (as in Money (dont say the ee part) Mao Zi Dao Men.

Within this thread for now, simply post things (1-2 things you consider the MOST interesting). I'm limiting everyone to 1-2 ideas,

Stage 2: After enough ideas have been submitted I will simply pick a set and list them as a survey. You will all be invited to submit your answers to the survey. If you are not comfortable with the community knowing what your answers are to some of the questions (hatrackers can ask pretty pointed questions) you can email me personally through hatrack your answers.

Stage 3: Ill post the statistics for the survey as well as a description of what the quintessential hatracker is.

Obviously if participation sucks, Ill give up on this project in disgust, but I have the time and energy to see it through so I will really be limited solely on what I have to work with.

I'd love for all of you to help make this work, I think it will be fun.

edit: Should it be "A Hatracker Demograph" or more true to Queen's English, "An Hatracker Demograph?" The Brits don't pronounce their H's so H words are preceded by "an".

[ October 10, 2006, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
1)Country of origin
2) Country they would most like to live in.
3) Country they would most like to visit.
4) Country, if any, they have recently visited besides their home.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
1) regional location
2) political affiliation
3) religious affiliation

Edit: is this a survey to find out what survey questions people like? Can we then have a survey to find out what answers to the survey question survey people like best?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
1) regional location
2) political affiliation
3) religious affiliation

Edit: is this a survey to find out what survey questions people like? Can we then have a survey to find out what answers to the survey question survey people like best?

Not sure what you mean.

This survey will first find out what everyone wants to know about other hatrackers, and then do stats on how people respond to those questions.

Obviously its implied that once all is said and done there will be discussion on the data [Wink]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't need to know anything about anyone, I have it all in my head.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
forgive me for being forward since I'm not really involved personally in this discussion but:

1) have you been stalked by Breyerchic04?
2) would you like to be?

=p

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
The answer is yes, everyone but you.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
and see, my answer to #2 would be a resounding yes, I want to be loved like everyone else [Smile]
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
What would you most like to do with your life?
What do you feel is the most important issue the world needs to deal with in the next decade?

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Innie or outie?
I or E?
N or S?
T or F?
J or P?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
What other websites do you visit?
Do you play any games online or offline? Which ones?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
What color is your parachute?
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see the Myers-Briggs letters, too. I think there would be a strong showing of NFs.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Right handed or left?

I'm curious as to how the 'Rack would compare to the norm.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Have you traveled to foreign countries? With what purpose? And what did you like there best?

2. Do you reread books? Why or why not? If yes, what's your "most read" book?

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Were you teased more than other kids in school when you were young?
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Do you think that people have to be educated (by others) or that they have to educate themselves?

2)Would you be the same if there were no deities at all?

In both cases, explaining the answer is appreciated.

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by suminonA:

Cheater. [Razz] [Wink]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
quote:
Originally posted by suminonA:

Cheater. [Razz] [Wink]
Do you think it is a trick question? Why?

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Neah, not a trick question, just "congratulating" you for finding a way to fit your religion thread in here. [Smile]
suminonA
Member # 8757

Corwin, you’re reading too much into it. The fact that I’ve started a specific thread for each of those two questions proves that they are subjects of great interest for me. The fact that I didn’t give a link to them is because my posts here aren’t supposed to do “advertising” for them.

A.

Corwin
Member # 5705

Eaaasy there, just trying to be funny. Seems I missed. No need for further argument. [Smile]
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
These might of interest to you, BB.

Age and Religion thread
Compiled results

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
How about?
What is your bank account number?
What is your pin and password?
What credit card has the most available credit on it.

What is that number?
What is your social security number?
Do you believe in prosecuting identity theives?
Do you believe in hunting down and harming sweet innocent identity theives?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe simple stuff like, gender, location, age bracket, children, hobbies?
Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Current Occupation
Any higher education degrees
Other forums you participate regularly in
Race & Culture you grew up in
Languages you speak

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Children
Pets
Hobbies

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Five/ten year plans would be interesting to see.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were doing a Hatrack survey, I would focus on variables that are unique to Hatrack, like:

"Sci-fi rulz, fantasy droolz"
-Strongly agree/Somewhat agree/Somewhat disagree/Strongly disagree

"OSC has the right to decide what goes on in his living room"

"Alvin Maker could kick Ender's butt"

"Lord of the Rings is the best fantasy series ever"

"Babylon 5 is better than <edit>Firefly/Serenity</edit>"

[ October 10, 2006, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: SenojRetep ]

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea BlackBlade,
Here are my suggestions:

1. Are you an aspiring novelist?
2. Favorite sci-fi,fantasy,or horror writer?
3. Favorite general fiction writer?
4. Favorite classic-fiction writer, e.g., Wharton, Steinbeck, Dickens, etc.?
5. Favorite all-time movie?
6. Do you have children?
7. Are you married?
8. Have you received any text messages from Mark Foley?

[ October 10, 2006, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Mig ]

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Liking the questions thus far. Getting them all down. Questions that are requested the most will probably have the highest probability of being included in the final product.

Discussion about this project is fine, try to keep debate down just for my sanities sake.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I still think it's more fun to just read hatrack, you can learn almost everything asked about many people that way.
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
I still think it's more fun to just read hatrack, you can learn almost everything asked about many people that way.

except me
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Agreed. I've participated in my share of A/S/L and survey threads on Hatrack, but this is getting ridiculous.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Male or Female? (Yes) / (No)

(Actual question on a CitiCards credit card application on the web designed by my former employer)

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Agreed. I've participated in my share of A/S/L and survey threads on Hatrack, but this is getting ridiculous.
Many people create alts so they can post more contriversial responses to threads. I'd like that to be part of this project.

Theres still value to it. I was suprised by the age of the average hatracker, I'd like to be suprised by more periphery queries. I hope you will reconsider not participating [Smile]

Tomorrow will be the deadline for submitting questions. After that I will come up with a list of questions that people can respond to. If you all wish, I will post the survey I have come up with and you can critique it and help me refine it before we actually post answers.

Please if you can submit even one clever question, I would greatly appreciate it.

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
"If there was one thing you could change about yourself, what would it be?"

I'd be curious to see if hatrackers are more concerned with physical, intelectual or societal aspects of themselves.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark as night
Member # 9577

- posted      Profile for Dark as night   Email Dark as night         Edit/Delete Post 
1. What was the first OSC book you read?
2. Who introduced you to it?
3. How did you find out about hatrack in the first place?
4. How many people you personally know are also hatrackers?

Posts: 155 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Last chance to get questions in, its 12:49pm (Mountain Time) my time, and I'm giving folks a window of 1 hour to get their questions in before I create the list. I really hope to procure more interest!
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate the gender question.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the job question.

I don't know if it's too late, but I'm also interested in favorite tv shows/books/movies.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Ok questions are now closed (Should have been closed some time ago) Ill post a list for approval tomorrow.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.