FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Firefox 2 officially released!

Author Topic: Firefox 2 officially released!
JimmyCooper
Member # 7434

- posted      Profile for JimmyCooper   Email JimmyCooper         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/
Firefox 2 came out last week and it's awesome. My favorite new features are the spell-checking built into the browser and Google suggest built into the search bar.
I also like some of the new add-ons (I think they're new to firefox 2). Adblock plus: blocks ads that are in webpages. Gmail space: lets you you use Gmail as an external online hard drive.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I just discovered ad block earlier today--AND I LOVE IT!!!! I also discovered the media player plug in, and I love it!

One of the nifty features I love in FF2 is the undue buttons if you accidentally close tabs. It saved my hide earlier today.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna wait for the dpkg to come out. Trying to get it spread through my ubuntu system properly from their default download is a bit of a pain.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Dumb question: Does Mozilla rhyme w/ Godzilla or Tortilla?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting this [Big Grin]

God bless Mozilla.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

Godzilla
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I hadn't seen Recently Closed till you mentioned it!

I don't know if it's FF2's fault, one of my add-ons, or simply coincidence, but since installing FF2, I'm having problems playing certain Pogo games. I'm only seeing about a third of the game screen and what I do see is not in its normal place. I've sent a message to Pogo to see if there are software conflicts and I've been playing in (gack) IE6 in the meantime.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks, Euripides.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimmyCooper
Member # 7434

- posted      Profile for JimmyCooper   Email JimmyCooper         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found another really cool add-on that combines google and wikipedia into one. https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2517/
Posts: 33 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Every single one of the new features duplicates something I already have as an extension. Moreover, not all the extensions I like have been updated yet. And I hear there are a couple bugs that can be a minor annoyance.

I'll wait on upgrading.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
So far, I've had no problems. All of the extensions I use work fine. The spell check is pretty good, and I like that it will restore the previous state after a crash.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

I'm loving the spell-checker. I didn't know there was a FF extension that did that already.

Only one of my extensions needs updating - I think I'll keep using FF2.

Euripides
Member # 9315

9 reasons to hold off on FF2
http://it.slashdot.org/it/06/10/28/2115202.shtml

Most of these are things a person such as myself wouldn't notice, but I can't say that I've had any RAM problems with FF, experienced crashes (except under special circumstances), or seen the browser treat CSS improperly.

2 million downloads within 24 hours...

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I already have Session Manager, which restores crashed sessions (as well as giving you the option to go back to previous sessions, regardless of whether they crashed). And the Google Toolbar already had a spellcheck.

Google Browser Sync allows me to continue at home the session I had running on my work computer.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I see this thread title, for a second I think that it says "Firefly 2 released" and then I get it, and I am sad.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

My sympathies Samarkand, we've all suffered a terrible loss. *sob*
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard the MSIE team sent the Firefox team a cake to celebrate. Classy.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
I heard the MSIE team sent the Firefox team a cake to celebrate. Classy.

--j_k

Yes, I heard this (and saw a picture of it as well). I even heard it wasn't poisoned, so I'll agree with the classy part I suppose.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.