FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow... Lame (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow... Lame
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
For being the final title of the final instalment of a grand series, she kinda flaked out on a cool title. Plus, it doesn't even fit with the others.

Here's an example:

"Hey, what's you favorite HP book?"
"Half Blood Prince. Yours?"
"Deathly Hallow."

See?

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it sounds kinda cool, creepy and british.

I like it.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hitoshi
Member # 8218

- posted      Profile for Hitoshi   Email Hitoshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I see no problem. It is what it is.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Yeah, but to me, it just sort of lacks that "Let's figure it out." air that the others had. This one is just, there.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
*Willing to withhold judgment until he has read the book and experienced its applicability*

Something tells me she wrote this much before titling it as she was not sure what to call it until recently.

I doubt any of us can gauge the appropriateness of the title to any degree.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Well, up to here, she's done a good job. This time however, she's come up with a not-so-good title, to say the least.
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as it's not "Harry Potter and the Attack of the Clones" I'm happy. [Razz]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows," according to Yahoo.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
It happens...

"What's your favorite Ender / Bean series book?"
"Speaker for the Dead. And your's?"
"Shadow Puppets."

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeugma:
I just think it's hilarious how quickly "fans" come out of the woodwork to call an author or artist a total hack as soon as any scrap of information about their next project is released.

I don't see anyone doing this. I see people saying that they don't like the title of the next book, not that it makes JK Rowling a hack or that they won't read it.

Heck, I do think JK Rowling is a hack, and I'm still going to read the next book.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I like 'Deathly Hallow', has an old-time ring to it.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Deathly Hallows, not Hollows or Hallow or Hollow.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Deathly Haloos.

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reticulum:
Well, up to here, she's done a good job. This time however, she's come up with a not-so-good title, to say the least.

So...what would you say to say the worst, given the utter lack of information on the 7th book?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Deathly Haloos.

[Smile]

What about Deathly Halos?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of like it, myself.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
What makes it so different from the other titles?
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
What makes it so different from the other titles?

pssh! obviously the, "and the" part. Its completely out of place!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is a fine title. Maybe some people don't like it because it doesn't lend itself to speculation as much as "Half-Blood Prince" but I don't much care either way. She could call it Harry Potter and His Legion of Idiotic, Middle-Aged Fans and I would still want to read it to see how it ends.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Harry Potter and Mary Sue Get Married!
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps a thread without the judgmental aspect should be started for discussion of the book?

I would feel as if I where betraying JK Rawlings effort to discuss it on a hostile thread.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Puffy, I'm about to steal that and write a really short terrible fanfic.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by General Sax:
Perhaps a thread without the judgmental aspect should be started for discussion of the book?

I would feel as if I where betraying JK Rawlings effort to discuss it on a hostile thread.

I'm sure she's just sitting at home crying because some people think her title's lame.

Or, I mean, sitting at home laughing because they will never be a tenth as successful as she is.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd settle for being 1/100th as sucessful as she is.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
I'd settle for being 1/100th as sucessful as she is.

Truer words were never spoken.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

If 1/100th as many people knew who Aqua Blue was as knew who Harry Potter was, I could die happy right then and there. Litterally! Dead. Kaput. Burn me up and scatter me. Life's complete.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter vs. the Big, Bad Bad-guy.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
posted by Zeguma:
"OMG, they made Optimus Prime red and midnight blue instead of red and navy blue!! I'm going to go claw my eyes out and light my house on fire!!"

[ROFL]
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Puffy, I'm about to steal that and write a really short terrible fanfic.

I wanna read it!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
^ Ditto.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the title of the seventh book is pretty cool. It has a fun ring.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
NO no you really don't. I had to change the premise, it may very likely be about Spike from Buffy, because of the Billy Idol reference I need to make.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Bummer!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter and the Deadly Hobos
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Deathly Hollow near Sleepy Hollow? Wonder if there will be an Ichabod Crane character in the story. Then JK Rowling would be borrowing from Washington Irving. Imagine, a Brit writer borrowing from a Yank writer! At least she can't be sued--the copyright ran out some time ago. Irving died in 1859.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

it's Hallows not Hollow
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought msybe it was being misspelled.

What is a hallows (spelled with an "a")?

Here is what Websters online dictionary says for hallow:
quote:
1 : to make holy or set apart for holy use
2 : to respect greatly : VENERATE
synonym see DEVOTE

So we have a "deathly making holy." Maybe this means that Dumbledore's ghost will become sanctified. Saint Dumbledore's ghost? I thought that most Brits tended not to be very religious. Maybe Rowling has gotten religion!
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

So... Harry's gonna get a Venerate Disease?
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure hallow is being used as a noun in the title [Wink] .

It's probably some magical object that doesn't really exist so we don't know what it is.

I'm not such a big fan of the title though. I think, being the last book and all, the title should have broken the pattern that the others set (Harry Potter and...). Maybe drop the HP name and just call it "The Deathly Hallows"? ...Nah, that's lame too. Dunno. Maybe this isn't even the official title and it's just a tease.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

Hallows as a noun would be things that make you hallowed. Like, maybe, holy water? So, Deathly holy water....Hm. Maybe holy water spiked with cyanide. Hey, I'm just trying to reason it out logically! There's not a lot of things that "deathly hallows" could mean.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter: the Edge of Reason.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
How Harry Potter Got His Groove Back
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

Harry Potter and the Knights Who Say "Voldemort"
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

Harry Potter and the Red Menace
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

Harry Potter and the Exit Strategy
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

Harold Potter and Maude
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter and the Death of Harry Potter
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread reminds me of all the predictions of how nobody will ever buy something called a "Wii"...
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Harry Potter and terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter-Brown and the Case of the Missing Architect
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.