FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » January 31st is National Gorilla Suit Day!

Author Topic: January 31st is National Gorilla Suit Day!
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
For the few who don't know, Wednesday, January 31st is National Gorilla Suit Day!

quote:
National Gorilla Suit Day, which mysteriously falls on January 31 of each year, is perhaps the important holiday of the year. Every National Gorilla Suit Day, people of all shapes and colors around the world get their gorilla suits out of the closet, put them on and go door-to-door.

That's really all there is to it. You don't have to buy gifts. You don't have to fast, although some Orthodox Gorilla Suiters do. If you want to have a parade, fine. Just make sure all the marchers are wearing gorilla suits and that all the balloons are giant, inflatable gorillas.

A great tradition. I look forward to the day when National Gorilla Suit Day and Talk Like a Pirate Day get combined [Smile]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they'd quit monkeying around with the holidays.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be fun to wear to work.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

Don't you work at a bank, FG? You're not allowed to wear costumes, right? (I remember my bank in Portland reminding customers NOT to wear Hallowe'en costumes into the bank, so as to not make the security people nervous...)
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
That would be pretty awesome to walk into a bank and see all the employees in gorilla costumes, I must say.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
(I remember my bank in Portland reminding customers NOT to wear Hallowe'en costumes into the bank, so as to not make the security people nervous...) Hmm... might have something to do with that movie about a clown robbing a bank (Quick Change, if I remember correctly).

Anyway, I'm saddened by the fact that this Gorilla holiday is apparently a foreign affair. Would you take it amiss if I joined in, even though I'm on another continent? [Smile]
If not, here some musical suggestions for those people who choose to honor the day of the Gorilla suit.

#1 The Gorillaz - Demon Days.
#2 The Gorillaz - eponymous debut album
#3 The Bonzo Dog Band - Gorilla
#4 The Bloodhound Gang - The Bad Touch ('cause of the vid)

I realize these are some of the more obvious options, but it's a starting point anyway. Perhaps others will have more suggestions...

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That'd be so awesome! My birthday combined with National Gorilla Costume Awareness Day! Yay! [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

*bump*

Only three more shopping days 'til Gorilla Suit Day!

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Only three more shopping days 'til my birthday!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

A gorilla suit is, of course, the perfect way to say "I love you." I'm sure Fahim has yours picked out already. [Smile]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

*snicker* That would be luverly. [Smile]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
And you don't even have to shave your legs to wear it!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer TLaP myself, as I am not the proud owner of a gorilla suit, but were I, I think I might just go to each of my classes in a gorilla suit. I can't wait to see if any of my classsmates do. I will so give them a hug. Or a banana.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm. Or groom them for fleas. Me hearty.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
That would be fun to wear to work.

Oddly enough, I do have a gorilla suit so I can speak from experience that it would be loads of fun for about 5-10 minutes whereupon the suit will become progressively hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable until one is forced to remove it.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't you work at a bank, FG? You're not allowed to wear costumes, right? (I remember my bank in Portland reminding customers NOT to wear Hallowe'en costumes into the bank, so as to not make the security people nervous...)
Yeah, I'm at a bank. But not in an area of the bank that actually sees customers or anything -- I don't interact with the public. Mine is a secure operations building. So if I wore a suit, it would just be for the reaction of my co-workers. (and at the moment I would take the hot & sweaty, KarlEd, because it is freezing in here).

Our retail areas ARE allowed to dress up for Halloween, however. But not with masks and stuff. Just harmless stuff and you can still recognize them -- like western wear, or raggedy ann, etc. Although I know of one year a couple of guy tellers went drag (one as Marilyn Monroe). Although I never heard anything against that, haven't seen it done since.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody would find it odd if someone walks in to a secure operations building wearing a gorilla suit?!?

And this holiday pales in comparison to "Talk Like a Pirate Day"...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.