FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Electricy W/O Wires

Author Topic: Electricy W/O Wires
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. This has absolutely astounding potential.

Of course, I can picture the potential for everyone getting cancer from this too, or killing all the bees, or <insert ecological or pandemic health disaster here> as well.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to hear a clear scientific explaination for how this is going to give us cancer. Or kill bees or do anything else thats harmful.

This isn't new at all. And its never going to be as great as the news makes it out to be.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I was being facetious. But you know there are going to be people concerned about the potential for harm from electromagnetic fields emanating everywhere...
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd like to hear a clear scientific explaination for how this is going to give us cancer. Or kill bees or do anything else thats harmful.

I don't know anything about cell phones and cancer but the impending ecological disaster with bees and my total lack of culpability in that disaster is discussed in this thread.

[Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds cool.im curious to know how much energy it take to power a room like this. is it really worth it? maybe for convention centers or something, so u can have a display/tv/whatever anywhere u want, but other than that, why take away the wall sockets?
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
They better call this technology, "Tesla Tech" or something along the lines of Tesla. That guy never got the recognition he deserves.

Just watch as technology greatly enhances that idea and people start leeching electricity from next door.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by krynn:
sounds cool.im curious to know how much energy it take to power a room like this. is it really worth it? maybe for convention centers or something, so u can have a display/tv/whatever anywhere u want, but other than that, why take away the wall sockets?

Well if it developed well enough you could have entire duplexes or quaplexes powered by a central core. Cosmetically removing all those sockets and cords would be greatly appreciated.

My desktop with all its cords and peripherals looks like some sort of gargantuan spider with black webbing sneezed on our table.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by krynn:

Well if it developed well enough you could have entire duplexes or quaplexes powered by a central core. Cosmetically removing all those sockets and cords would be greatly appreciated.

My desktop with all its cords and peripherals looks like some sort of gargantuan spider with black webbing sneezed on our table.

And if the technique becomes cheap enough, it will be ubiquitous, saving the trouble in construction of a great deal of wiring.
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Al Gore invent this?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
No that was airplanes.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he invented this after airplanes, but before the internet.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sndrake:
quote:

I don't know anything about cell phones and cancer but the impending ecological disaster with bees and my total lack of culpability in that disaster is discussed in this thread.

[Smile]

And apparently, you missed this .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
More specifics from MIT

Looks cool. I have safety concerns I'd want addressed over the next 20 or 30 years that this continues to be tested before it even comes close to being marketable.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:

The story starts one late night a few years ago, with Soljacic (pronounced Soul-ya-cheech) standing in his pajamas, staring at his cell phone on the kitchen counter. "It was probably the sixth time that month that I was awakened by my cell phone beeping to let me know that I had forgotten to charge it. It occurred to me that it would be so great if the thing took care of its own charging." To make this possible, one would have to have a way to transmit power wirelessly, so Soljacic started thinking about which physical phenomena could help make this wish a reality.

I have had the EXACT same problem with my cellphone and thought of the exact same solution, "If only electricity could be wirelessly transfered!"
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by sndrake:
quote:

[Smile]

And apparently, you missed this .
I didn't miss that, no. I just thought I'd make fun of our strange love/fear relationship with our technology.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Long live Tesla!
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.