FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rowling confirms she -will- write Potterverse encyclopedia!

Author Topic: Rowling confirms she -will- write Potterverse encyclopedia!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Those craving more info on the "19 year gap" and backstory details are in luck!
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*squee*
I hope it's huge....
Like forklift sized.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what I think about this. On one hand, I've always thought that the Harry Potter universe didn't make much sense. On the other hand, I'd like knowing more about the people in that universe.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
awesome.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
WHEE!!
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

*minor DH spoiler*

On a related note...which thread brought up the question of how Grindenwald was able to use the Elder Wand?

Rereading DH for the third time, I think I finally found the key passage that explains how. Chapter 21, page 412. Xenophilius explains that to master the wand one must capture it from the previous owner.

Which can include snatching it away in combat...but also stealing it in the night would also fit the bill.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I wonder what I think about this. On one hand, I've always thought that the Harry Potter universe didn't make much sense. On the other hand, I'd like knowing more about the people in that universe.

According to Rowling, some of it will be character info that never made it into the books. So there'll be entries on the people.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*spoilers for book 5!*

She also confirmed that she was going to kill off Mr. Weasley in book 5, but just couldn't bear to do it. I find that interesting and wonder how it would have been if she had done it. Mr. Weasley wasn't especially useful throughout the rest of the series, but I guess losing Sirius and Arthur in one book would have been too much. [Smile]

Anyway, she's promising a huge and heavy epilogue for all of you book 7 epilogue haters. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
otterk10
Member # 10463

- posted      Profile for otterk10           Edit/Delete Post 
Book 5 Spoiler
Arthur did almost die in book 5 when he got bit by Nagini. I guess Rowling was going to kill him then rather than let him recover.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, that visit to the hospital would have been such a downer in that scenario.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome. I'm glad she didn't float the rumor that a recurring character would turn out to be a different sex than orginally thought.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I had never heard that rumor. I had heard a rumor that Blaise Zambini was a girl, but that was so impossible to know back in book 1 that it didn't matter.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
You would not believe how many people thought this line was just the funniest thing they'd ever said: "So have you gotten to the part where it turns out Hermoine's a dude yet?"
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Just, I mean, for the record, when you read the article, she doesn't say she -will- for 100% sure write an encylopedia, she says she will -most likely- write it. Which I don't think is any different from what she's been saying for a while. So... I mean, I hope she does. And I'm sure she will. It's just not exactly what the article said.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
She sounded a lot more sure of it.

In the past it's been "well I have no plans to write anything else, but I'm not ruling it out, however if I did, it'd probably be an encyclopedia of some sort, maybe."

Now she's saying sure she'll most likely do it, what with all the information she has, but that it won't be next week or anything, she's taking a real break from the series. But she will return, and probably sooner than like 10 years from now, and it's not just a pie in the sky hope.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's much more likely than it ever has been.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by TL:
Just, I mean, for the record, when you read the article, she doesn't say she -will- for 100% sure write an encylopedia, she says she will -most likely- write it. Which I don't think is any different from what she's been saying for a while.

I did read the article, TL. Previously on this subject she's only said that "maybe" she'd write such a thing.

"Most Likely" is quite a bit more definite than "maybe". [Smile]

TL
Member # 8124

An awesome title for this thread would have been "Rowling confirms she is -more likely than previously announced- to write Potterverse encyclopedia!"
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

I'm such a wet blanket sometimes.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Wet blankets are nice to have around sometimes.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Like, when your pants are on fire. [Smile]

This could be really huge, though. Just think of all the cool stuff we only learned about in the LotR Appendix. The whole story of Aragorn and Arwen was there!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I hoped she would release an encyclopedia at some point.
[The Wave]

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap, now I have to wait a few more years to purchase the Harry Potter Compendium complete with All 7 books + encyclopedia, all 7 movies + Bonus DVD. And whatever else the publishers tell me I HAVE to own to really enjoy Harry Potter.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
But you know you WILL own it.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
You think it might be a series of shor t stories like the Silmarillion or a series of Appendixes. Because frankly- I'd love to see both (especially in story form the founding of Hogwarts)
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait for a HP box set of movies. The only bad thing about it is that I'll finally have to break down and actually own "Chamber of Secrets." [Frown]
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.