FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Chinese food additive safety thread.

Author Topic: Chinese food additive safety thread.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't had one of these yet, well not since the dog food, or was it the tooth paste?

Anyway, I have seen several reports about capitalism gone wild where to save a buck or two million short cuts were taken in the preparation of food products that were dangerous.

According to NPR articles I've listened too, Baby Formula was sold that turned out to be just weekened powdered milk. The result was that several babies died.

Also, the new leader of the Chinese version of the FDA announced that Chinese food is actually not that bad. Doing a study across thousands of different foods, they discovered that 85% of it met all the standards.

They didn't mention that 15% did not.

Of course that is what resulted in the previous leader of their FDA equivalent to being arrested, tried, and executed. And we think that impeachment is too extreme.

Some people find this surprising. This country so safe from "Frivolous law suits" is producing sub-standard products. Of course, only a small percentage of the sub-standard products get exported. Most of the international companies double check their stuff.

That's how they caught the LEAD painted Big-Bird toys now being recalled.

I was not surprised. When I went to college I took one of those odd courses that my parents said would have no practical future use--"The History of the Chinese Detective Story."

Yes, well before Sherlock Holmes, and even before Poe wrote "Murder on the Rue Morgue" the Chinese invented and proliferated the Detective Story.

These stories usually involved a Judge deciding the fate of an accused criminal, who swears their innocent. Only with the help of Solomon-like wisdom, and some supernatural aid, does the judge unravel the mystery.

The interesting point is, in many of those cases, the crime is the turning of some individual into ground meat for the local food industry. The sold a lot of Han Sandwiches. Poor Han.

I am not being bigoted. I do not mean to imply that all, most, many, or even a few of the Chinese people are greedy, uncaring, profit-mongers unwilling to let a few dead bodies get in the way of their profits. I am saying there is a history of such people rising up in the Chinese food chain.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Most of the international companies double check their stuff.
That's how they caught the LEAD painted Big-Bird toys now being recalled.
"

Unlikely, or Mattel wouldn't have sold those million Fisher-Price toys being recalled in the first place. What probably occurred is that a Mattel employee independently started testing outside of normal procedure after the Thomas the Tank Engine incident. And probably killed her*career in the process.
And if Mattel's tale is true, then none of its retailers have any procedure in place to check the safety of the products they sell.

So "greedy, uncaring, profit-mongers...rising up in the...food chain" is also descriptive of American corporate history. Heck, most of the products being imported would still be made in the US if American corporations hadn't exported US jobs in expectation of governments abroad turning a blind eye toward practices that are clearly illegal in the US.

* When it comes to reporting scandals, men-who-should-know have been mostly [Monkeys] "go along to get along".

[ August 03, 2007, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug* China is still a developing country. In our terms, we'd say that they were in an "Industrial Revolution." While China (obviously) has access to modern technology such as cell phones and computers, their disregard for human health is to be entirely expected given their level of development especially given their large population.

Wait until they reach a "post-industrial revolution" state for them to be worried about their long term health as much as ours. You can just look at their smoking rates compared to ours, their pollution standards, etc. The key is that they aren't treating us (or products destined for us) any worse than they're treating themselves, so if we want our products to be up to "our" standards it should really be "our" companies that bear the responsibility of checking standards, safety, etc.

In some sense, you get what you pay for.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just additives.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure they'll work these problems out eventually. Are they worse than what was going on in the U.S. at the time of The Jungle?

At least the pork-flavored cardboard story appears to be fake. Of course, that's what the Chinese government would want us to think.

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Mucus pretty much covered what I was going to say.

Omega M: I'd wager you'd find worse in Chinese history. Also remember the workers were not hauled off to reeducation camps if they talk back to the foreman. Not to mention that the events in The Jungle took place at the beginning of the 20th century. Thats over 100 years ago.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I went to college I took one of those odd courses that my parents said would have no practical future use--"The History of the Chinese Detective Story."
Did you ever find a practical future use for it?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
were obviously talking about it in a forum so thus practical use.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, I don't want to hurt your feelings or anything, but that's kind of stretching things a bit, in my book.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
were obviously talking about it in a forum so thus practical use.

This man speaks the truth.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.