FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Garth Nix and his Old Kingdom

Author Topic: Garth Nix and his Old Kingdom
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't heard much mention of Garth Nix's Abhorsen/Old Kingdom Trilogy here before but For anyone who has read them...

Nix:

quote:

I will be writing two more novels set in the Old Kingdom and Ancelstierre. They will be published by Allen & Unwin in Australia and by HarperCollins US and HarperCollins UK.

The first, probably out in 2010, will be Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen, which is the story of the young woman who eventually became Chlorr of the Mask. It takes place about 320 years before the events in Sabriel. The second is untitled, and is a sequel of sorts to Abhorsen, taking place several years later. It should be out in 2011. Both 2010 and 2011 seem like a long way away but no doubt will sneak up on me horribly when I least expect it. Sometimes I think time is a practitioner of the secret Welsh martial art of Llap-Goch.

This is probably old news but Im ridiculously excited!
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Garth Nix is awesome. I ran into the Abhorsen books accidnetally some how, but every book of his I've read has been fantastic. I love finding an author where I know I can pick up any of his books in any series and it's going to be a great read.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the same way. His books are always original and Its hard to find an author like that.

I was just thinking the other day that i had no books to look forward to. Now i have these two to tide me over.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read Shade's Children? That's my favorite Garth Nix.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first one (Sabriel?) -- are the other two just as good or almost-but-not-quite-as-good or better or something else?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked them just as much, and parts where better.
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Shade's Children is my least favorite of Nix's. As for the Abhorsen trilogy - my favorite is Lirael, mainly because I liked the sequence in the library and I love the Disreputable Dog.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Shade's Children, although it was very very disturbing. Maybe disturbing isn't the right word...terrifying might be better.

I like Sabriel the best of the Abhorsen trilogy, with the caveat that the end of Abhorsen is one of the all-time most satisfying endings I have read.

I will probably not read the new book about Chlorr of the Mask. I am not a fan of prequels where we already know that the ending is unhappy. But I'm excited about the other new book!

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.