FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Now: Second-place family also getting [thousands] votes per day (Moose voting)

Author Topic: Now: Second-place family also getting [thousands] votes per day (Moose voting)
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Picture a giant hamster wheel. Now, make someone ride it.

Completed Challenges:

1. CT pledges to effectively triple your votes in the Moose vacation vote. Post the number of votes you made (along with the starting and ending tallies at Parenting.com, even if they include multiple voters). I will come back in about an hour at 9am Pacific time (Oct 30) for my assignment: to log in double what you did. Make me work for it.

2. I pledge to triple all votes between 7:30 (Western Time; i.e., 15 minutes from now) and 7:45. You vote, and I add two for your every one, starting on the half hour. Let's go!

---

Pending Challenges

Propose your own!

[ November 05, 2010, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: CT ]

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the topic line to the tune of "Hey, Soul Sister." I tried to come up with new lyrics but the only rhymes coming to mind are ridges, smidges and midges and so far none of those have inspired me. But I think there is potential for something funny there.

As to CT's idea: I second the motion! (and go off to vote again)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

Ah, I should put this here:

link for voting

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I got 22000!!!

I want 22222!!!

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Got it! [Smile]
CT
Member # 8342

About one hour pending for my challenge (see original post above).
CT
Member # 8342

I'm watching the ticker and am getting a little scared now. Gee, guess that's why these things usually have limits. [Eek!]

Well, it may take me a few days, but so be it. And if it isn't logged here with total amount you did, starting and ending tallies, and by 9am Pacific time, I ain't gonna do it. Hmmph.

*grin

---

Edited to add:
Criminy, people, how many of you are hamstering me? [Angst]

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I just voted 100 (not all of those were mine, I'm sure.) I started at 22694 and stopped when it was at 22794.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

This might not be pretty. Oy, vay, carumba!

39 minutes of my potential bruising to go.

------------
Clarification:

I had asked people to count their own votes, as well as supply the formal starting and ending tallies, because I wanted it to be a personal challenge. Belle, if I understand you correctly, you don't know how many of those 100 were yours? I'll cover all of them this time.

Future challenges should probably be worded more clearly.

---
Edited to add:

I had stopped about 10-15 minutes before issuing the challenge, and the ticker was at 22,624. It's now 22,819. I'll cover 100 votes for Belle (which means I will log 200 to triple her score).

If you were also voting and want to hamster me for it, post the number of times you voted along with the starting and ending tallies from your time period. You have, hmm, about 28 minutes left.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sorry. I'm guessing no more than half were mine. Call mine 50. I lost track when I was voting becuase I was talking to the family at the time.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

No worries! It is a work in progress[and I don't think I was very clear to begin with]. [Smile] I found it hard to tally my own numbers when grannypat, ketchupqueen, and I were all voting together, too.

Part of me thinks I should just cover the full time period, and I may well do that.

---

Edited to add: 22,847. If I cover everything so far, giving some generous leeway on the times, that would be 223 x 2 = 446. Heavens! Can I do it? I am a wussy, such a wussy. You'd better log in here just to be sure. Make me work for it.

About 22 minutes to go, as of this edit.

---

22,865 with about 9 minutes to go, as of this edit.

[ October 30, 2010, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: CT ]

CT
Member # 8342

Calling it in 1 minute ...
CT
Member # 8342

Okay. Belle's the only taker. Ending tally is 22,950 at 9:07am, Pacific time. That's an increase of 326 over a 1 and 1/2 hour-ish period.

I'm on the hook for 200 votes per Belle (*gulp*). I would have covered more if anyone had responded to the challenge here, but maybe people just want to stay anonymous. At least I can do that within a day, though. Hmmm.

Tomorrow morning I will challenge for a specific time period, no holds barred. You can stay anonymous if you choose and still make me your hamster.

---

Edited to add: 11:58 wheel countdown, starting at 23,470 --> 23,490 = 16/200 (someone else was voing too)

12:28 23,504 --> 23,514 = (10) = 26/200

[ October 30, 2010, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: CT ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I didn't see this as I was sleeping, working a lot of nursing overnight shifts this week.

I will post a bunch tonight, as I am working until 8 am. I posted over 200 last night myself.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Start was 23478
Now 23665

Not part of the challenge, just sayin'.... about 60 were mine, I believe.

[ October 30, 2010, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

23687 --- all me, I am all alone here!

HELP ME!!!!

Kwea
Member # 2199

- 23478= 228 votes.
--------------------------

I'll do more later. [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

23700 - 21834 =

1866 votes in LESS than 24 hours. wOOt!

CT
Member # 8342

I'm back up at it, working off Belle's 200. 174 to go.

Come join me -- it'll confuse me when the numbers go up faster than they should, and I'll have to work harder to keep track. [Wink]

---
edited to add, as per below: 24,373 9:19 (I added one before Uprooted)

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently 24,374.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

Rolling track:
5/174
10/174
15/174
20/174
counter at 24,400
25/174
30/174
35/174
41/174

---
So, down to 133 left to work off Belle's tally.
24,373 at 9:19, up to 24,428 at 9:54. We did 55 over 35 minutes, only 41 of which were mine.

Go you, whoever you were.

[ October 31, 2010, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: CT ]

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I put on 35 today.

Started at 24757 and ended at 24795.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

Started at 133 to work off yesterday at 2:10pm, with the counter at 26049. Did 15. Sheesh. It was a day full of interruptions.

Down to 118.

CT
Member # 8342

10:52, 118 left, starting counter at 28,822

Come join me! It keeps me on my toes -- the extra math gives me hives.
11:00, 25/118, counter hasn't budged yet (not updated)

---
Edited:
11:01, 26/118, counter at 28,866

92 left for me.
---
Edited:
did another 12. 80 left for me.

CT
Member # 8342

Wait -- the counter is now at 28,811. Did I misread? It's possible. I am going to check in frequently today and make sure there are no votes that go missing.

--
Edited: Now it is 28,879.
--
Edited: 11:16 Eastern Time, server is sluggish. Page not reloading. (?)
--
Edited: 28,883. 3/80
---
Edited: 70 left of my 200 from Belle's challenge. Counter now at 28,884. Screenshot at http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll105/Seatea_2008/Nov311amscreenshot.jpg

CT
Member # 8342

29,037, just posted 10. 60 left for me.

Crossposted from main thread:
I've just discovered my best streamlined way to vote. Open up 5 tabs to that page, vote on each, then click through each to reload. By the time I get back to the first, it's ready. I'll have to see how this ups my average.

It's a lot more fun and easier to track, too.

---
Edited to add: 50 left

Am now easily doing 5 a minute. [Smile]
---

40 left. Woohoo!
---
And done. Belle, your challenge is completed.

[ November 03, 2010, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: CT ]

CT
Member # 8342

Voting Strategies

From a friend:
quote:
I hit enter rather than "submit", which takes me to a page that says the vote has been recorded. Then I alt-left-arrow to return to the voting page, so the count doesn't appear to change, though on a refresh it has always increased. I leave the mouse in place over the "vote" button, so I never move it -- just click it again after I've returned to the page. I vote as many as ten times a minute with this method, depending on typos and vote-acceptance-speed. And if I'm watching a streaming video at the same time my rate gets cut about in half.
From me:

quote:
My browser takes time to reload even with the method you relate. I'll play a little and see if I can fix that.

By opening 10 pages at once and clicking through serially, reloading them all at the end, I can do 40 votes in 7 minutes 10 seconds. That's a little over 5 votes a minute, which is the fastest I've done.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just make a script? You can disseminate it to a number of computers and have them just spend all day auto-voting at slightly randomized intervals.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Because voting requires entering a two word Captcha which requires a very sophisticated AI and not just a simple script.

If you've got an AI that can enter captchas reliably, please share.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say using scripts/AIs to enter votes is contrary to the spirit of the rules, and could make the Meese susceptible to removal from the contest. Why take that chance, when you can meet the number through actual human votes?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Because voting requires entering a two word Captcha which requires a very sophisticated AI and not just a simple script.

If you've got an AI that can enter captchas reliably, please share.

It's a generic recaptcha. You can find captcha breakers which solve those fairly reliably in PHP.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
I'd say using scripts/AIs to enter votes is contrary to the spirit of the rules, and could make the Meese susceptible to removal from the contest. Why take that chance, when you can meet the number through actual human votes?

Exactly.

Edited to add: It wouldn't be too hard (I should think) for Parenting.com to track the IP addresses and see if there is an unusual number or speed coming from any one place. There is nothing we have done against the letter or the spirit of the rules, and short bursts of handvoting up to 10x/minute are explicable by non-automated means (see above).

I don't know what the official rules are. I suspect they include a prohibition against automated voting; or, even if not, it would call things into question. I doubt the Mooses would appreciate that outcome, despite appreciating the spirit of support that would have prompted it.

---

Edited to add: Yep, if nothing else, the captcha popup states at the top that This security question is needed to confirm your vote and to prevent automated voting. It's clear that one is not supposed to use automated methods, even if you can figure out a way to jimmy the system.

[ November 03, 2010, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: CT ]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if there's an "official" rule against automated voting, but it's clearly intended that it not be done ("This security question is needed to confirm your vote and to prevent automated voting"). I wouldn't do it, and I'd rather nobody did it on our behalf. Or on anyone else's. *smile* But yes, I appreciate the spirit of support.

Edit -- and CT phantom-edits my post into redundancy.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Okay, fine, I'll go with the low-tech option. I have some indentured servants from cambodia who I'll force to type in votes all day if they want to be fed. I'll probably also send out 'encouragement' squads to get other people to do this if they want a stay on their appreciating loans.
CT
Member # 8342

hee hee hee

[Smile]

We are at 29722 to 15974. I've added in another 60 with my new system. Very fun -- with 10 tabs lined up, I can just take a break every little once in awhile and zip through the 10 tabs in about 80 seconds. The real time drag is reloading pages (for me), and that is finishing out when I've gone back to work.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
There's always Amazon's Mechanical Turk. Real people voting, but in an easily automated framework [Wink]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

If we work at it tonight, we can get back up to double their votes and maintain it. It's much more fun with one of the strategies above.

------------------------
New Challenge!

I pledge to triple all votes between 7:30 (Western Time; i.e., 15 minutes from now) and 7:45. You vote, and I add two for your every one, starting on the half hour. Let's go!

---
Starting counter at 7:30pm: 30,971

---
imogen has vowed to make me pay. Currently at 30997; I'll wait until it next updates to catch all of hers.

Update: 7:47, counter at 31,022. 51x3 = 102 for me

--
31,042 at 7:51, and that definitely catches everyone. So the new total for me is 71 x 2 = 142!

[ November 03, 2010, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: CT ]

CT
Member # 8342

12/142, only 130 to go
--
24/142, only 118 to go
--
36/142, only 106 to go
--
48/142, only 94 to go. More than 1/3 of the way there. Taking a break now. Whew.

[ November 03, 2010, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: CT ]

CT
Member # 8342

78/142, only 64 to go (I'm going in 15s now)
--
93/142, only 49 to go!
--
Done!

Counter at 31,290 for Mooses. (Family #2 at 16,291. We are less than a thousand away from doubling them, and I think we could likely keep up after that, barring unforeseen leaps. But we cannot bar unforeseen leaps, unfortunately.)

[ November 04, 2010, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: CT ]

CT
Member # 8342

Update:

As of about noon today, the second-place family had picked up 3094 points over a 24-hr period, and the Meese had picked up 3283. That's neck-and-neck. We've worked hard to address that -- since then, they picked up 616, while we did 2446. But it looks like they are posting requests for votes pretty widely throughout the web, so they may continue to rise.

Egads! Eternal vigilance. [Smile] Thanks to grannypat (the mom of ElJay, Enigmatic and dkw) for tracking numbers.

Continue to vote early, vote often. It's our game to lose.

---

Edited to repost:
Voting Strategies

From a friend:
quote:
I hit enter rather than "submit", which takes me to a page that says the vote has been recorded. Then I alt-left-arrow to return to the voting page, so the count doesn't appear to change, though on a refresh it has always increased. I leave the mouse in place over the "vote" button, so I never move it -- just click it again after I've returned to the page. I vote as many as ten times a minute with this method, depending on typos and vote-acceptance-speed. And if I'm watching a streaming video at the same time my rate gets cut about in half.
From me:

quote:
My browser takes time to reload even with the method you relate. I'll play a little and see if I can fix that.

By opening 10 pages at once and clicking through serially, reloading them all at the end, I can do 40 votes in 7 minutes 10 seconds. That's a little over 5 votes a minute, which is the fastest I've done. [And it's lots, lots more fun that way -- kind of like knocking down bowling pins all in a row. Once the tabs are set up, it's easy to knock off ten at a time in one fell swoop whenever I take a break from working online.]

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my latest strategy for high speed voting on a Mac.

Turn on Mouse Keys under Universal access.

Open 5 or 10 tabs in Firefox and line them up so that the vote button is in the same position on each page. Position the mouse cursor over the vote button. Push 5 on the keypad or "l" on the keyboard to push the mouse button, enter the captcha, hit return to submit the vote, hit command back arrow to return to the previous page, hit control tab to move to the next tab. Repeat.

Using this procedure, I can vote many times without moving my hands from the keyboard or waiting for the site to load. Once I have the firefox page set up with the tabs, I can go back whenever I have a minute and vote high speed.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I vote, hit enter, then hit the backspace button. It goes back, and I hi vote again.

Depending on the length of the captcha I am averaging about 7 a min.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.