FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Instead of closing Gitmo, Obama may instead formalize holding suspects without trial

Author Topic: Instead of closing Gitmo, Obama may instead formalize holding suspects without trial
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.npr.org/2010/11/24/131574360/obama-administration-weighs-indefinite-detention?ft=1&f=1014&sc=tw

quote:
It is starting to look like the president who campaigned on closing the prison at Guantanamo Bay may end up doing something wholly different: signing a law that would pave the way for terrorism suspects to be held indefinitely.

Administration officials are looking at the possibility at codifying detention without trial and are awaiting legislation that is supposed to come out of Congress early next year.

Analysts say two key events have conspired to force President Obama's hand on indefinite detention legislation. Last week, a New York jury nearly acquitted Ahmed Ghailani, a young Tanzanian who was charged with more than 280 counts of murder and conspiracy for his alleged role in the 1998 embassy bombings in Africa; and Republicans regained control of the House of Representatives in midterm elections.

Case Highlights Administration's Dilemma

Obama administration officials had thought the Ghailani case would be a slam-dunk. Four other men were convicted of the same crime in the same New York federal court back in 2002.

But in this case, after five days of deliberation the jury convicted Ghailani of a single charge of conspiracy.

"The jury came within one count of acquitting him entirely," says Benjamin Wittes, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution. "And had that happened that would have put the government in an enormously difficult position because if you hold a trial and somebody is acquitted, it kind of violates our sense of what a trial is to say, well, we're going to hold him anyway."

Ghailani was never going to walk out of the courtroom a free man because the Obama Justice Department, from Attorney General Eric Holder on down, has made clear that if any high-profile terrorism suspects are acquitted, they will never go free. They would be held as enemy combatants instead.

Juan Zarate, a former deputy national security adviser in the Bush administration and now a fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, says that's a huge problem. When prosecutors can hold someone behind bars even without proving their case the criminal trial becomes a show trial.

herp derp, insert mangled pseudo ben franklin quote here

More at link, I suggest reading the whole thing.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I wasn't the slightest bit optimistic that Obama would put an end to the Bush era abuses, but it still boggles the mind how much he's continued down that path.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly this is so embarrassing, and probably my biggest frustration with this administration. I'm not a big fan of people making a big show of changing things up and then going hardcore in the other direction.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I can only put this as proof that there's a masionic conspiracy.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

Once upon a time, I thought it would have been a plus that he was a civil rights lawyer ...

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
well cheer up chums, this isn't so bad! after all, he did already claim the power to do this and uh

wait that's not better

ok, ok, well, the primary legal lawyers working for bush set up a scheme in which they could make warrantless detention and cold storage of human beings untamperable by the judicial branch hypothetically so

um, wait, let me start over

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I complained about all this stuff under Bush, voted to throw the bums out, even donated money to that cause and it turns out none of that mattered. Sadly, I did actually believe when I voted that I was voting for freedom, for less torture, for gay rights, etc. Hard to believe in democracy anymore. How do I find a job in Canada?
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
You'ld be asked to ask CT about that [Smile]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
*sigh*

Once upon a time, I thought it would have been a plus that he was a civil rights lawyer ...

Yeah. Me too.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well at least Tom Delay got his day in court.

Buh-bye!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
herp derp, insert mangled pseudo ben franklin quote here

You know when Franklin said that- it, like, totally meant something else in the late 18th century?
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Everyone just loves to make up words and say that ben franklin said them, is all. like "They who would give up essential liberties for temporary securities deserve neither security nor liberty" or one of the 10 different variations or so of that quote.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

So I elbowed obama in the face today; it was a little heated
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Oh that was you? Did you make the basket at least?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.