FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » One Chance

Author Topic: One Chance
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/555181
quote:
You only have ONE CHANCE to save the world. One. uno. 1. And you bastards will have to pry this game out of my cold dead hands before I put a replay feature in.
This is a free online game that takes about 15 minutes to play through. You play a scientist who has developed a virus that kills cancer cells.

Unfortunately, it also kills every other type of cell. You have six days before everything on Earth is dead. How will you spend your time?

There's currently a thread on the front page of Hatrack about a lost loved one. Just a heads up: my play-through contained multiple depictions of suicide.

***SPOILERS***
My ending looks like this: John and his daughter sit on a park bench, alone together. Their health stands in stark contrast to the dead and dying plant life around them.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers:

My ending, even if I get other endings from replaying, was this:

John finds the cure, and injects himself. However, when he goes back to his daughter, she's still. And he doesn't inject her.

He takes her to the park, and sits there with her. She's already dead, and he's saved... but there's no one else.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I must have played it wrong. Mine was just, everyone was dead, John buried his wife and daughter and then went to work, where he died on the floor beside his desk.

It was really depressing.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

***Spoilers***

How did you play it?

I had John work everyday, taking his daughter with him towards the end.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
'walk right: the game'

chrome's Incognito Mode allows you to play the game as many times as you want without having to clear cookies btw

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
***Spoilers***

He went to work every day until the day before the last when he took his daughter to the park. Where she died.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you work every day you can (since you're prevented on a couple instances), you can at best cure yourself. Everything else on Earth dies. This is not necessarily the best ending, even though it is the only ending in which anything survives.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's a way to discuss the game without spoilers. Mine ended with me dead in my office by himself.

I will note that this game borrows a lot from Every Day the Same Dream, to the extent that I think it's intended to be an homage, or something.

I have mixed feelings about games like this. By "like this" I don't mean depressing indie games, I mean depressing indie games that specifically are vague about controls where you move around really slowly, to the extent that the game is not only "not fun," it actively is annoying and makes you want to not play it. (I swear, it's almost like that's an entire genre). The only one I've seen where it was actually warranted was Home, where you play as an elderly person. (Home can be completed in about two minutes. Assuming you were at least somewhat intrigued by "One Chance," I recommend you give it a try).

I liked the basic idea of the game, and I liked how you gradually moved more slowly as the game went on, but I think, at the very least, the first and second "day" would have benefited from good animation that made the game feel actually "fun." For the first day, you're genuinely supposed to be enjoying life so actively non-fun controls work against the mood. And you should at least start out the second day that way.

I was a little annoyed at the sometimes unclear options. Like I went into a particular room or talked to a particular person and suddenly the day was over. I can understand if that was part of the point - you never know when a choice will suddenly turn out to be unrecoverable. But I felt like the choices I ended up making weren't based on what I actually wanted to do, but what the game tricked me into doing, which isn't a good way for a game to function IMO.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
If you work every day you can (since you're prevented on a couple instances), you can at best cure yourself. Everything else on Earth dies. This is not necessarily the best ending, even though it is the only ending in which anything survives.

if you reload the game after doing that, it shows the trees green again after you are gone.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Was there anything else to do on the roof other than watch the guy jump off?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
The roof was one of a few things that seemed to be there specifically to reference Every Day the Same Dream, unless you were allowed to jump off on the last day or something.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

There was one day (after the guys jumps) I went up there and the boss is standing up there. He tells you to go home and spend time with your family.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You can then do that, and your wife is grateful. If you choose not to go to work the next morning (even after your boss pleads with you), you get what is possibly the worst ending.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.