FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 48÷2(9+3) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: 48÷2(9+3)
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
what's the answer
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen ÷ in a math problem since elementary school, but my answer seems to match Misha's.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Two your own homework.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I'm not positive whether the 2 multiplied by the contents of the parentheses takes precedence over the division problem that comes before it.

edit: I also totally missed KoM's "Two."

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
PEMDAS! But remember M and D are tied as are A and S so do them in order from left to right (tied cause you can make a D an M and a S an A)
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought 2 as well but I don't do math.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

2 is wrong. Unless it was written as a fraction originally and everything after the division sign was written in the denominator. If that was true though, an error was made in typing it out.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

48÷2(9+3)

First is parentheses, so:

48÷2(12)

Now the ambiguity is whether this is:

48 / (2*12) or 48 / 2 * 12

If it was the first, then it would be 2. If it was the second, it'd be 288.

I'm not familiar enough with the ÷ operator to say which, but the second makes more sense to me, in which case it'd be left to right like scholarette says. Is there some property of ÷ which takes the entire right hand side as the divisor?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Two your own homework.

two you say
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Order of operations says that if the equation read 48÷2×12, you'd just go from left to right, which would give you 288. The question is whether 2(12) is identical to 2×12. Is that just a convenient alternative representation, or does it have a different significance that might advance it in the order of operations. Personally, I think it's identical to 2×12.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I don't believe that it is.

[I have no evidence to back this up, however, I think of 2(12) as one term and treat it individually.]

Xavier
Member # 405

I've never seen it not be identical. Its just a short-hand notation.
scholarette
Member # 11540

When you divide, you could instead multiply by the reciprocal if if make you happy. So 48/2 is the same as 48*1/2 or 48*0.5 to eliminate all signs of division. So if you were to convert 48/2*12 to all multiplication it would be 48*.5*12.
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I would treat 2(12) as identical to 2×12.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Juxtaposition means multiplication, yes.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I see the ambiguity, but I see 2 as a coefficient of 12. The problem here isn't really order of operations, it is that the problem is one of pure arithmetic for arithmetic's sake.

So I have to ask: Is this question designed to demonstrate a flaw in the order of operations rules, or is there a real problem to be solved?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Step outside of "math" for a second and look at this realistically. If 12 is the number of eggs in a carton, and you want to know what 48 would be if you divided it by two cartons of eggs, you would write it:

48 divided by 2(12) = 2

Or, to put it a clearer way, if B = the number of eggs in a carton, you would use

48 / 2(b) or 48 / 2b

Does 48/2 take precedence is this instance? I find that hard to believe.

Xavier
Member # 405

Its a pretty banal order of operations question. Stepping outside of formal "order of operations" conventions to answer it seems like a square peg in a round hole.
scholarette
Member # 11540

There is no ambiguity. 2 is wrong. 288 is right.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Except that math exists for a reason, Xavier.
MattP
Member # 10495

Wolfram Alpha and Google both agree: 288
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
Except that math exists for a reason, Xavier.

It also has rigorous rules. You can't look at an expression and intuit exceptions to those rules.
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
48 / 2b

Yes, it absolutely does.

48 / 2(12) = 48 / 2 * 12 = 288

You can't just choose to ignore math conventions when it suits you. Or at least you can't if you want to actually pass a math class.

Just write it as 48 / (2 * 12) if you want to represent the english egg problem you have above in math notation.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I'm not "intuiting exceptions." I'm trying to show that there's a reason why so many mathematicians argue that juxtaposition takes precedence.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
PEMAL would be more useful than PEMDAS, IMO.

M = {M,D}
and
A = {A,S}

L = Left-to-right

Or, if we must, PEMDASL

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

By the way, this is apparently a meme now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv19iAncrrQ&feature=player_embedded#at=47

Added:

Which seems dumb to me that this is even a controversy. You can argue that it shouldn't be 288, but I don't see how you can argue that it actually isn't 288 by current mathematical conventions.

If you want to change it, I won't argue, but it's clearly the current standard.

Sources that give 288:

Google
WolphramAlpha
Matlab
Python
My TI-89 calculator

I haven't seen anything that gives 2 besides random people on the internet.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
By the way, this is apparently a meme now

I knew THAT as soon as I saw who had posted the thread.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Bah. Whether in math or programming, if your expression is dependent on remembering whether operations are handled from left to right or right to left, it should probably be re-written to be clearer.

unambiguous != clear

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Yeah, I think that video sums up my feelings pretty well. Namely that one answer is probably correct, but the fact that so many intelligent people have had such long, involved arguments about it makes me think that the silliest position one can take is "There's only one possibility, stupid."

Which, by the way, is not the position I'm taking. I lean toward 2, but I'm not arrogant enough to say that that's definitely, absolutely right.

Xavier
Member # 405

Teach the controversy!
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

That doesn't mean that everyone agrees on what that is.

[Oh, now you're just trying to make me look crazy. [Smile] ]

Xavier
Member # 405

I put it in an edit, so maybe you didn't see it:

Sources that say 288:
  • Google
  • WolphramAlpha
  • Matlab
  • Python
  • My TI-89 calculator

Where is the controversy exactly?

Edit: Yeah, sorry, I am edit crazy today.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

quote:
quote:
48 / 2b

Yes, it absolutely does.

48 / 2(12) = 48 / 2 * 12 = 288

You can't just choose to ignore math conventions when it suits you. Or at least you can't if you want to actually pass a math class.

Just write it as 48 / (2 * 12) if you want to represent the english egg problem you have above in math notation.

Just to be clear, you're taking the position that 48 / 2b is the same as 24b?

BTW, I'm not ignoring the calculator references you've given. Everything I've read on this issue so far says that different software computes this problem differently. I'm interested in which software gives the answer as "2." Not that you know. I'm just musing.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Whether in math or programming, if your expression is dependent on remembering whether operations are handled from left to right or right to left, it should probably be re-written to be clearer.

unambiguous != clear

Agreed.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
BTW, I'm not ignoring the calculator references you've given. Everything I've read on this issue so far says that different software computes this problem differently. I'm interested in which software gives the answer as "2." Not that you know. I'm just musing.
I'm interested in that as well, since so far I haven't heard of any software that says anything other than 288. If such exists (and is in wide use), then I will admit that a controversy exists and back away slowly [Wink] .

As something to get flustered over on the internet, its somewhat more fun than politics (as that depresses me more often than not) but still not something that will hold my interest for long.

For the record, I agree with Porter. When I am writing software, I always use parentheses when my order of operations isn't 100% clear at a casual glance.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, ok, 288. But whoever wrote the expression that way should be shot for lack of clarity.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Everything I've read on this issue so far says that different software computes this problem differently.
It is language-dependent.

C/C++, for example, explicitly specify that the order of operations is from left to right. Python (which is written in C) does the same.

I cannot name any popular programming languages that go from right to left, but I know that obscure ones exist.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Just to be annoying to myself, here's an example of code that I would write and which is dependent on the order of operations:

code:
if(pointer && pointer->IsHappy())
{
}

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

I wasn't referring to a language that performs the operations from right to left, but rather one that simplifies by applying the distributive property first.

If 2(a + b) = 2a + 2b, then it stands to reason that 2(9 + 3) should equal 2(9) + 2(3), or 24.

But, yes, in the end it seems like the problem was written in order to get one answer, but done so poorly that it got another.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I can't imagine why a programming languages would by default take 2*(3+4) and solve it by first converting it to 2*3+2*4 instead of 2*7. It's more work for the computer, more work for the person writing the language, and it ends up giving you the same answer.

[ April 08, 2011, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can't just choose to ignore math conventions when it suits you.
Really? What's "i" then?

How about Tau vs. Pi?

Or assuming that parallel lines will cross eventually?

If following mathematical conventions is just a lock step habit, then we might as well just accept that pi is 3.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

What? I really don't understand your post, Glenn.
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
[QUOTE]
C/C++, for example, explicitly specify that the order of operations is from left to right. Python (which is written in C) does the same.

Well, for operations with the same precedence level this is true (which multiplication and division are, of course, so for this case yes I'll grant that this objection is something of a side note). The precedence levels are set up such that multiplication and division are equal, with addition and subtraction equal to each other but lower precedence (just like these operations are handled in math done outside a computer).

Wikipedia tells me that APL and Smalltalk have no precedence levels, and that operators in these languages are evaluated strictly right to left and left to right, respectively.

I would love to move to a postfix (or, I suppose, prefix) system for writing math to get rid of the need for an explicit order of operations, but I really never see it happening.

ETA: I don't mean to imply that you didn't know about precedence levels and whatnot, just including this as a note to people who aren't familiar with programming languages.

Edited also to add in responce to Glenn:

Except this is completely different than the topic at hand. We can prove that pi =/= 3. Proving that something previously thought to be correct is not correct will cause mathematical conventions to change, but that's not ignoring something "when it suits you", it's ignoring something because it's wrong. You can't prove that the arbitrary ordering of operations generally agreed upon is somehow incorrect, it's really no more correct or incorrect than any other ordering would be.

It is, however, standardized. Sure you can reject the standard, but that would be pretty similar to saying 288 is not the correct value of the expression in the subject because you're choosing to disregard the fact that + commonly means addition and instead think it should mean subtraction. Sure there's no provable reason that '+' is a better symbol for addition than subtraction, but if you want to throw that out whenever you feel like without specifically noting that you're doing so math is going to get a lot harder for you to communicate.

[ April 08, 2011, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: xtownaga ]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
I put it in an edit, so maybe you didn't see it:

Sources that say 288:
  • Google
  • WolphramAlpha
  • Matlab
  • Python
  • My TI-89 calculator

Where is the controversy exactly?

it is a weird controversy to be sure, but it's neat to me. How it gets worked out and all that.

In some places it's gotten as acrimonious as the point nine nine nine repeating equals one debate, and there's a lot of surprising processes like having google settle it.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Yeah, ok, 288. But whoever wrote the expression that way should be shot for lack of clarity.

if I can find them, i'll shoot them for you
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Wikipedia tells me that APL and Smalltalk have no precedence levels, and that operators in these languages are evaluated strictly right to left and left to right, respectively.
IIRC, Lisp has no precedence levels, and operations must be explicitly ordered with parentheses.

[ April 08, 2011, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
At first read I saw the answer as 2 with reservations because I couldn't remember where "÷" fell in the order of operations. After reading that so many different places agree that the answer is 288, I will have to trust them since I haven't taken a math course in 10 years (even if it was college calculus). So consider me convinced.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.