FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A question for fans of YA/MG fiction that leans speculative

Author Topic: A question for fans of YA/MG fiction that leans speculative
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, remember me?

I know most everybody here loves science fiction, loves books, and loves talking about books, and I suspect quite a few people here also love Young Adult books and Middle Grade books, so I figured this might be the best place I know to ask this question:

I'm trying to compile a reading list of YA or MG books that have a speculative fiction element where the speculative fiction element is really understated. Books where the fantasy or science-fiction element is there, but maybe it's mostly there for thematic reasons, or it's handled with a lot of subtlety, where it's easy for forget that it's speculative while you're reading.

Any suggestions for me?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly the books most like that for me are OSC books, which i know you're more than aware of. However I feel like I've recently read a few like this but can't quite place them so I'll muse on it and get back to you. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the early books in the Alvin series (Seventh Son and The Red Prophet) are that way, sort of an interesting mix of fantasy and historical fiction with very relatable characters.

Ursula LeGuin's Wizard of Earthsea books, though they're more "high" fantasy, are very plot and character driven. Tehanu is virtually devoid of fantastical elements until the final couple of chapters, although it doesn't stand very well on its own, divorced from the earlier, more fantastical, books. Several of LeGuin's other, non-Earthsea books are similarly character focused.

Susan Cooper's Over Sea, Under Stone, which serves as a prelude to the Dark is Rising series is pretty light on the fantastical elements, although they're lurking in the background (and brought into sharper focus in the series proper).

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
For me the king of YA novels is William Sleator.

I read too many of his books for me to even be able to start listing the best ones. But yeah, check his collection out.

Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm trying to compile a reading list of YA or MG books that have a speculative fiction element where the speculative fiction element is really understated. Books where the fantasy or science-fiction element is there, but maybe it's mostly there for thematic reasons, or it's handled with a lot of subtlety, where it's easy for forget that it's speculative while you're reading.
Will Shetterly's Dogland.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
So I guess "My Teacher is an Alien" wouldn't qualify??? ;-)

I can't really think of anything in that age bracket where the speculation is truly under stated. Most of the time, that's what drives the plots.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
A few books I can think of are:
Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements
Dragonhaven by Robin Mckinley
Tam Lin by Pamela Dean

Also many stories in the Firebird anthologies edited by Sharyn November (Firebirds, Firebirds Rising, Firebirds Soaring).

Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Tam Lin is hardly YA. And I second William Sleator. I read House of Stairs when I was in 4th or 5th grade, and never, ever forgot it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LargeTuna:
For me the king of YA novels is William Sleator.

Specific books of his that I think meet the criteria in the OP:
House of Stairs
Into the Dream

[Edit: Hah! Take 20 minutes to write a post, and get beaten to the punch on HoS!]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd maybe put Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in that category. I mean, it's hard to miss the fantastical magical stuff happening regularly, but it seems to want to be set in the real world.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Skellig (David Almond) is the one that immediately jumped to mind.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I love McKinley, and I think her books The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown are in this type of setting, particularly The Blue Sword. There is magic, but it is not really spelled out what magic can and cannot do, and it isn't wave a wand and say a word magic.

I also liked her book Chalice.

Patricia McKillip writes this was as well, but not all her stuff is what I would call teen or YA. I loved The Riddlemaster of Hed growing up, but the rest of the series is not subtle in using magic.

I think her book Alphabet of Thorn might though.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Thanks for the suggestions so far. [Smile] I've added four books to my Amazon Wish List.

Hey I just thought of this this morning--I haven't read Bridge to Terabithia, but I saw the movie. Folks who've read the book, would you say it fits? My impression from the movie was that it was left in the air just how real it all way. That is-it-or-isn't-it is a big part of what I'm looking for.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emreecheek
Member # 12082

- posted      Profile for Emreecheek           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Somebody has read Tam Lin.

It = My college experience. It's eerie how accurate it was. Despite that I'm going to a small, liberal-arts school almost 30 years later.

Posts: 196 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
The fantasy in Bridge to Terebithia is pretty explicitly make believe, to the best of my recollection. The movie made it much more real.

That said, it's a great book, so if you have to shoe-horn it in it's maybe worth it [Smile]

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Icky, the actual book of Bridge makes the kids' fantasies far more clearly purely imagination. So I'd say no.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Anything by Madeleine L'Engle. She has a range of stories some of which are more fantasy than others. One caveat is that there is also a religious undercurrent that is occasionally not so subtle. For example, Many Waters visits the Noah story. It is less heavy handed than Lewis but she was significantly influenced by him.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
perhaps the "Chaos Walking" trilogy
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
perhaps the "Chaos Walking" trilogy
I think we have different definitions of "understated". Though those are really good and everyone should read them.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
well yeah, but I agree with the sentiment mentioned above how its hard to find scifi/fantasy elements that aren't an integral part of the storyline.
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Megan Whalen Turner's Queen's Thief books. Exactly what you're looking for. Fantastical element not very prominent at all, though important when it does appear. The books are The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, The King of Attolia, and A Conspiracy of Kings.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Anything by Madeleine L'Engle. She has a range of stories some of which are more fantasy than others. One caveat is that there is also a religious undercurrent that is occasionally not so subtle. For example, Many Waters visits the Noah story. It is less heavy handed than Lewis but she was significantly influenced by him.

To fit your OP, try some of the L'Engle's Austen family books (especially The Young Unicorns and A Ring of Endless Light. I think I remember rivka saying she hated it, but I enjoyed Arm of the Starfish.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
I think I remember rivka saying she hated it, but I enjoyed Arm of the Starfish.

Your recollection is correct. However, it has been enough years that I am thinking I should re-read it and see if I like it any better now.

I heartily endorse the other L'Engle novels you mentioned, though.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

If you check this link, the Kairos books tend to be more speculative than the Chronos books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine_L%27Engle

Ooops. Forgot the link.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Would The Giver count? I found it pretty cerebral when I was younger, though there is a fantasy element.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
If you check this link, the Kairos books tend to be more speculative than the Chronos books.

Ooops. Forgot the link.

Yes, but Icky was specifically looking for those that have an understated spec fic aspect. That rules out several of the Kairos books right off, I think.

I think The Giver works, sm. It's (slightly) futuristic more than fantastic.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Jo Walton's "Among Others."
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
This is sort of off topic, but does anyone remember a trilogy of books about a boy who traveled back in time? I remember really liking them, but can't remember their names! The boy from the story has a father with Parkinson's I believe, there was something important about Magpies, and one of the books had a big stone wall on the front.

Any ideas?

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

In hindsight I'm mentally amending what I'm looking for to say that I'm not looking for stories primarily set in another world.

What about Holes? Is the fantasy element in the novel as understated as in the movie?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man, DDDaysh, I know exactly what series you're talking about, and I can't remember the name of it, either!
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Ooops. Forgot the link.

Yes, but Icky was specifically looking for those that have an understated spec fic aspect. That rules out several of the Kairos books right off, I think.

I think The Giver works, sm. It's (slightly) futuristic more than fantastic.

Yes. That is why I gave that information.
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
Holes is a good one.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some more recently published possibilities:
  • Diamond Willow by Helen Frost. Written in a poetic style, each page is a diamond-shaped poem with boldfaced words that are like a second story set within the first. Set in Alaska with spirit animals.
  • Bringing the Boy Home by N. A. Nelson. This story tells about two 13-year-old boys, one in USA and one a native in the Amazon. Some mysticism/magic involved.
  • We Can't All Be Rattlesnakes by Patrick Jennings. Story told from the point of view of a rattlesnake captured by a boy.
  • Savvy by Ingrid Law. 13-year-old-girl is coming into her "savvy," a special magical "gift" that comes to people in her family. It takes her some time to figure out what her savvy actually is.
  • Go Big or Go Home by Will Hobbs. Meteorite falls to earth and is found by boys. It changes their lives in a magical way.
These books are set in modern times, modern life, with magical or mystical elements thrown in. Fifth graders at my school all really liked these books. Reading level is 5-7th grade reading ability. I enjoyed all of them, too!
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanna say Invitation to the Game, by Monica Hughes. It's unmistakably SF to any adult that reads it, but I think it goes under the radar of kids. The first half is survival in the urban jungle, and the second is survival in a deserted geographical location. There is theoretical space travel between the two, but one tends to gloss over it in favor of the story.

There is a mild reference to robots in the very beginning, almost as a nod to "real" SF.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.