FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Landmark Threads » Woman Plans; God Laughs -- On 6000, 30, and 1 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Woman Plans; God Laughs -- On 6000, 30, and 1
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thirty years ago today, my mom became a mother and my dad became a father. [Smile]

Twelve years ago today, a man I loved and planned to spend my life with proposed marriage. *sad smile* But planning only does so much. It was not until after my marriage was over -- after the Year of Hell, during which I tried to convince my ex that I could change enough -- that I realized that I should never have married him to begin with. Some patterns are only visible in hindsight. [Frown]

I remember thinking about a year ago, that I had never expected to turn 30 and be divorced. Well, as it happens, I'm turning 30 and am not quite divorced yet (legally, anyway -- I am by Jewish law). [Dont Know]

I was born on Pesach (yesterday was my birthday on the Jewish calendar, as it happens), a season of freedom. Mitzraim (Egypt) was a place of maytzar -- narrowness, constraint. (The word may be more familiar from Psalms 118:5, which is actually part of the Seder. Min ha maytzar karati kah, from the narrow places (or more colloquially, the depths of despair) I call out to God.) Pesach is about freeing ourselves from our personal Mitzrayims -- finding ways out of the traps we have fallen into. Or built for ourselves.

And some days I feel like I am making real progress at escaping from some of the narrow places in my life. Recently I started thinking that maybe -- just maybe -- I might be ready to start thinking about dating, once my divorce is final.

Recent events have made it clear that I have issues closer to home that need to be worked on first. *sigh* But I guess it's still progress that I'm considering making myself vulnerable that way again. And the very notion does make me rather panicky. While I don't much like the notion of being single indefinitely, I am terrified of finding myself divorced a second time.

And I am NEVER doing that again. Ever.

A bit over a year ago, I was avoiding pre-Pesach cleaning (an annual pastime, I tend to look for new ways to avoid the necessary cleaning each year [Wink] ) and spent far more time online than I normally did. (Imagine! I used to not even go online to check my email some days! [Eek!] [Big Grin] ) I had discovered Hatrack months before, but never ventured much past the front page. That day, I decided to check out the forums. Felt the need to reply to a thread . . . and y'all have hardly had any peace from me since.

I've always known I have a tendency to talk a lot -- too much, even -- but it's rather disconcerting to notice that many of the fairly active posters who joined Hatrack at about the same time I did are turning 3000. Eeep.

So when I realized a couple weeks ago that I was in danger of reaching 6000 before the birthday I was aiming to coincide with, I figured a bit of forced rationing of posts was good for me. [Smile] Well, today I celebrate my freedom from post-hoarding. [Wink]

Happy birthday to me!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
happy day to you, rivka!
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
(((((Rivka)))))
[Kiss] [Group Hug]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Rivka? Are you still up?

Is TODAY your b-day or yesterday?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday! What a great month for birthdays! [The Wave]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Shannon?

well-rested after last night's retreat?

fallow

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
(((rivka))) I am truly glad you're here. Happy Birthday.

edited because it's hard to spell at 3 in the morning.

[ April 09, 2004, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Derrell ]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
An official Happy Birthday Rivka! from the president of your fan club.

[Smile]

Hatrack can be a little intimidating at first for newbies - it certainly was when I got here. But you were always welcoming and kind and thoughtful, and I grew to always look out for your posts.

From what I've come to know of you, you're an amazing person, and certainly one of the reasons I've stuck around here. You are much loved and admired for who you are.

So here's to 6000 more posts, and many more years!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, Rivka! And I wish you 6000 more posts! :-)
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto what imogen said. [Smile]

Rivka, you're wonderful. And hilarious. And one of the kindest people I've ever met.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka,

Does your birthday always fall during the week of Unleavened Bread? If so, does that mean you've never had a proper birthday cake?

Happy Birthday! [Hat]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey - happy birthday Rivka.

Imogen always summarises everything I want to say, and so nicely, too.

I wonder if she'd be interested in going on a date, sometime?

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat]
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYuCnslr
Member # 1857

- posted      Profile for BYuCnslr   Email BYuCnslr         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday :-)
Satyagraha

Posts: 1986 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday Rivka, and happy 6000!
I'm hoping we'll have more "ask the rebbetzin" too - those were great!

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birhtday, Rivka ! [Party]

(((rivka)))

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy B-Day, Rivka! You're definitely one of the people that keep me coming back to Hatrack.

Here's to 6000 more!

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party] Happy b-day!
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, m'lady, [Hat]
[The Wave]
[Party] [Hail]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
6000 posts in one year? My god woman, you need a man. [Smile]

At this rate you will pass up TomD in two years.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday to one great gal! Thank you for the wonderful knowledge and insight you share with us, it's made us all better people!

Just gotta say, the year I turned 30 was the biggest and best year of my life. Here's hoping that yours will do the same or even better!

[The Wave]

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww, rivka, metuka, that's WONDERFUL!! *hugs tight*

You're my favorite favorite Jewish Hatracker, I adore you to pieces! I'm so glad you're here, and 6000 is pretty impressive! *doesn't mention that rivka joined after her...* [Grumble]

*clink* Here's to 6000 more!

And... MAZEL TOV on your birthday! [Kiss]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, and I'm so glad you're here!

Three cheers for avoiding cleaning, it makes us new friends!

[Smile] [Big Grin] [Smile]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're my favorite favorite Jewish Hatracker, I adore you to pieces!
There's a lot of competition, too. [Wink] Happy birthday, Rivka! (Rivka is trying to catch up to Bob and Tom.)
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Mazel Tov!

Happy Birthday, but 6000?

I swear you don't look a day over 4200.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, Congratulations, and...I just can't find the right words to tell you how important you are to us. [Smile] [Hat]
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, rivka! Happy 6,000th post! I hope you continue posting. I enjoy your posts. Glad to know you. Isn't nice to know productive procrastination is good for something. [Big Grin]

[Party]

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, rivka! You are so great! How glad we all are that you found us, and that you share with us so much of your heart. Best wishes for your life, your love, and the next 6000, but never let anyone take you away from us. <<<<<hugs>>>>>
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to play favorties, but Rivka - you're one of my favorites. [Smile]

Happiest of birthdays!

Annie [Smile]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I missed it, but Happy Birthday!

Can't imagine Hatrack without you.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, happy 6000, and lotsa hugs from our house to yours, Rivka. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

P.S. We have a lot of April/Pesach birthdays in our house. [Wink]

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Thanks so much, everyone! *basks in the love*

I wanted to clear up the confusion I inadvertently caused. My (English) birthday is today, April 9th. My Hebrew birthday (which I now share with my 2-year-old niece [Big Grin] ) is the third day of Pesach -- which happened to land on April 8th this year.

And yes, Farmgirl, it does mean that my birthday cake is usually a Pesach cake. But Pesach cakes are often very good! My mom made a chocolate one this year. [Smile]

Tony, for shame! [Eek!] Imogen is an engaged woman!

[Addit: Ela, so do we -- my dad's birthday is the first day of Pesach (and April 16th).]

[ April 09, 2004, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Happy Birthday Rivka! [Smile]

[Party]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Happy birthday! And congrats on 6K (!!!!)
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, Rivka!
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

rivka, you realize at the rate you and Bob have historically posted, you'll catch up with him on July 13, 2009 with 35,654 posts?

Dagonee
*Is quite obviously procrastinating on preparing his oral argument for tonight's persuasion class.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Um, no, Dagonee. I actually hadn't realized that. But it's good to know.

*marks calendar*

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Excel and boredom - a dangerous combination. [Smile]
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, Rivka!!!! You're one of my favorite people on Hatrack. [Smile] I can't imagine the place without you.

Happy Birthday!

[Party]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear rivka,
Happy Birthday to you!!

[Smile]

And congrats!

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, rivka!
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, rivka. It's nice to have you around. Thanks for all the Scrabble games. [Smile]

Hey, I've got some Hebrew language questions, but I don't want to hijack your thread. Should I just e-mail them to you?

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Email is fine, or you could bump the rebbetzin thread, if you like. [Smile]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I think I'll just send you an e-mail. I'm afraid it would hijack the rebbetzin thread and turn it into a debate.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
RIVKA! The grand hug-mistress herself!

You're a Hatrack fixture in my head, and I can't picture this place without you. I'll never be able to repay the kindness that you've shown me since I joined, and you've helped me through some tough times.

Stay for at LEAST another 6000, alright?

And Happy Birthday. [Smile]

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
¡Feliz cumpleaños! (And also Mazel Tov).
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Yom Holedet Sameach!
Yom Holedet Sameach!
Yom Holedet Sameach, rivka!
Yom Holedet Sameach!
[Party]
Rivka, you are one of the most wonderful people. Thank you so much for being you! You have welcomed this newbie with such open arms and have been a huge part in making my Hatrack experience special. I can't wait to meet you in June!

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Ha ha! One of the ads at the bottom said "Date sexy Jewish singles" or something like that. Now it's gone, though.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, Rivka!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.