FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Archives » Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show » Intergalactic Medicine Show #16-- Reviews and Comments

Author Topic: Intergalactic Medicine Show #16-- Reviews and Comments
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A rather fantasy-heavy, scifi-lite issue.

My picks:

Odd Jobs, by Josh Vogt. There is a lot of bad dialog out there in the world. There's a lot of angst, too. This story is the opposite of angsty and bad dialogy: It's...witty. You've gotta love a story that starts:

quote:
"According to your resume, Mr. Whisk, you spent five years as the Man in the Moon."

"That's right."

"After which, you had a short stint as an Easter Island statue."

"Correct."

"I see you've included a photo of yourself from that time."

"I tried to show my best side, sir."

Or at least *I'm* required to love a story that starts that way. Odd Jobs is a little absurdist, sure-- but it's never pretentious. And that, I think, is the key to its charm. And it really is quite a charming, delightful tale.

Mudlarks by Kat Otis is my second pick. This story wouldn't work nearly so well if Otis didn't have such a grasp on scene. Her Thames is full of vigor and muck; you can smell the fog rolling off it, feel the damp in your bones as you read. While the characters are standard fare, and the mystery they solve is a little...erm...muddy, Otis' grasp of the larger setting is phenomenal.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.