Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Markets for Our Writing » Apex Digest Issue #4 Available

Author Topic: Apex Digest Issue #4 Available
jasonb57
Member # 2246

- posted      Profile for jasonb57   Email jasonb57         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pleased to announce that Apex Science Fiction and Horror Digest issue four is now available.

We feature fiction from Tom Piccirilli, Bryan Smith, JA Konrath, Eugie Foster, Jennifer Pelland, Phill Jones, Christine Murphy, Nancy Fulda, and Bryn Sparks.

We interview Mary Doria Russell and Barry Maher.

Dr. Amy H. Sturgis writes a scholarly piece about H.P. Lovecraft.

You can get your copy at http://www.apexdigest.com/catalog or at http://projectpulp.com.

Thanks!
Jason S

Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pmcalduff
Member # 2963

- posted      Profile for pmcalduff   Email pmcalduff         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone is considering submitting to this magazine, I highly recommend it. I have sent them four manuscripts so far and although they have all been rejected, they have all been rejected in a timely fashion. I got all of them back in about twenty days. Despite the short turnaround time, I got a personal response on all four of my submissions (no form letters of rejection). On half of them I got some excellent criticism and advice from the Co-Editor of Apex, Gill Ainsworth. Once more, this criticism was detailed enough that I know that they did more than just read the opening paragraph.

Having submitted to a lot of magazines, I can honestly tell you that Apex is the best one I have come across so far.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent them one in back in October...but I'd never e-submitted before and may easily have screwed things up.

I concur that it's definitely an interesting market. Interesting to *read*, for that matter...

Posts: 8232 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pmcalduff
Member # 2963

- posted      Profile for pmcalduff   Email pmcalduff         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should definitely send it again. If you submitted a manuscript to Apex in October and haven’t heard back from them, they didn’t get it. I sent them a short story about that time and they got back to me in a couple of weeks.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonb57
Member # 2246

- posted      Profile for jasonb57   Email jasonb57         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, thanks for the props.

We probably average a 20 day turn around time on esubmissions.

Although we 'technically' don't accept mailed submissions, I receive them from time to time. Unfortunately, I don't get to those as quick. Sometimes it'll take me three months or longer.

I'm doing a subscriber push right now, trying to raise money so that I can raise the pay rate. If you want to help out, you can find subscription information at http://www.apexdigest.com

Cheers!
Jason Sizemore

Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I subscribed. People like Jason are the reason why people like us are here.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've gotta concur with Calduff. I've only submitted there once, but the turnaround time was good, and the entire process was very professional. I wasn't surprised by the rejection; I would have been honored to be included among the material they have there. Good stuff.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a copy of #4 sitting right here - looking forward to reading it.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonb57
Member # 2246

You guys are making my head swell.

Do continue!

Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Issue #4 was great. I especially liked "Symbios."
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonb57
Member # 2246

Isaiah: Yeah, I loved that story. It was like "Oh, he's not going to...oh he did...surely not that...oh, hell, he did again."
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There’s an old-fashioned raffle with amazing prizes to do some fundraising for Apex Digest. You can buy a ticket to put your name in the hat to win autographed copies of books, art, video and other strange goodies. Tickets are a dollar each. That's nothing, right? You can afford that.

On Friday, September 29th, we'll draw names and hand out the prizes.

You might win an autographed book by M.M. Buckner, Geoffrey Girard, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Kevin J. Anderson, Brian Keene, David Louis Edelman, and more. Or how about a copy-edited manuscript of a Ben Bova novel? Would you like a signed first edition hard cover of The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russel? Maybe you’d want to have your story professionally edited? Stop by and see which things you covet.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited September 22, 2006).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.