Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Markets for Our Writing » Blood Type: An Anthology of Vampire SF on the Cutting Edge

Author Topic: Blood Type: An Anthology of Vampire SF on the Cutting Edge
bobbyshane
Member # 9394

- posted      Profile for bobbyshane   Email bobbyshane         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been quite a long while since I've posted in Hatrack. Sorry I haven't been around much. Long story short, last year I had a huge career change with a big boost. I'm now the Editor in Chief of a fledgling publishing company called Nightscape Press which has so far published works by a couple of new authors, the son of Roger Zelazny (who is quite the noir fiction author with his own voice), and an anthology called World's Collider: A Shared-World Anthology by Richard Salter which includes stories from authors like Steven Savile, James Moran, Aaron Rosenberg, Trent Zelazny, Jonathan Green, Simon Kurt Unsworth, Kelly Hale, Richard Wright and more. And later this year we'll be publishing names in the horror genre such as Stephen Graham Jones, Peter Giglio, and Bram Stoker Award-winning author, Benjamin Kane Ethridge. Right now we're not open for subs, sorry. Just trying to give you all an idea of where I'm coming from these days.

This company was sort of rocket launched from the success of a charity anthology that myself, Mark Scioneaux, and Bram Stoker Award-nominated editor, RJ Cavender, put together called Horror for Good: A Charitable Anthology which all net proceeds go to amfAR The Foundation for AIDS Research. The book includes an array of popular names in the genre like Laird Barron, Lisa Morton, and Joe McKinney, international bestsellers like F. Paul Wilson, Joe R. Lansdale, Ramsey Campbell, and Jack Ketchum, and a host of great but lesser-established authors.

Anyhow, the whole point of this post is that I'm putting together a new anthology that is more geared toward the crossing of science fiction and horror with maybe more of a science fiction leaning. This one will also be a charitable anthology and I'm working hard to get some great names attached to it as well, yet want to have some great newcomers/less-established authors submit too. So, I felt that this would be a great place to get the word out to more writers.

Now it is a vampire anthology, but I'm not looking for the romancy pantsy junk that's made us all sick to death of the genre. I'm looking for the really good dark science fiction stuff like Richard Matheson, Brian Lumley, and more recently Peter Watts have brought to the genre. Vampire fiction with a true science fiction core to it that works. That's gritty, dark, yet very intellectually stimulating, and yet still powerful fiction on a basic story level as well.

If this sounds interesting at all to you, please check out my page for the anthology at Blood Type: An Anthology of Vampire SF on the Cutting Edge and feel free to email me at bloodtypesubmissions@gmail.com with any questions, etc. After reading the guidelines on that page, you can also send stories in rtf and doc formats (no docx please) to that same address. And don't let the CHARITY part fool you. I will be paying at least a token payment, a trade paperback contributor copy, and actually have a fundraiser through Indiegogo set up that, if I meet my goal, will allow me to pay all contributors the pro rate of 5 cents a word. And if I don't meet my goal, I'll still receive funds that were raised and be splitting that between the authors and paying for the limited amount of perks that require money that those who donate have chosen. Most of the perks require no money at all.

***The deadline has been extended through December 31st, 2012***

Anyway, I hope you'll consider either contributing or donating and if neither is possible maybe just spreading the word or sharing the page on your social media pages. Thanks!

Robert S. Wilson
Editor in Chief
Nightscape Press

[ October 05, 2012, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: bobbyshane ]

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Mr. Wilson,

This would be fun and the thought of writing as a mitzvah to help a worthy charity is very appealing to me.

I admire those who will contribute, and I envy (and am slightly jealous) of those who have both the skill and time to produce a quality tale by your end of month deadline.

While it is arguable that I may possess the former, I unfortunately do not have the latter.

If perchance you again decide to publish a themed anthology to help a worthy cause, I hope you will consider a somewhat longer deadline...three months perhaps.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1415 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bobbyshane
Member # 9394

- posted      Profile for bobbyshane   Email bobbyshane         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fitting timing you should reply with that, Bob. I just extended the deadline to the end of December. I'll edit the post accordingly. Thanks!
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know Simon Green and his Nightside-Drood books?

How about a story set in a world something along those lines? Of course not in the Nightside or with any of the Drood family but something with that type of story.

I don't do Macabre but I've been thinking of doing a story in a similar universe, when you said Vampire and Science Fiction in the same sentence something clicked.

Posts: 4847 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bobbyshane
Member # 9394

I'm not familiar with Nightside-Drood. I'll have to remedy that. Definitely run with the idea. The more submissions the better.

The fundraiser has raised enough now for token payment and there are still 90 some days left for donations to come in. I'm also in talks with Laird Barron, Tim Waggoner, and several other authors about contributing. And I plan on taking a shot at getting some bigger names involved as well. We'll see how that goes. I'll try and update in here as things progress.

bobbyshane
Member # 9394

Laird Barron has confirmed he'll be contributing a new story to this anthology! I'll have more author updates soon as well from both the sci-fi and horror genres.
bobbyshane
Member # 9394

***Update***

Tim Waggoner has confirmed, I've now accepted stories by Mike Resnick, Stephen Graham Jones, H.E. Roulo, Peter Giglio, Jason Duke, and Peter Watts has also agreed to contribute a story as well! There's very little time left to get a story in, so I'll give Hatrackers a reprieve. I'll take submissions from Hatrack members through the end of January. Just make sure and mention you're a member in the email along with your sub. Thanks!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.