Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » FAQs and Links to Discussions » HUB - The Hatrack Utility Belt - A MUST for Writers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: HUB - The Hatrack Utility Belt - A MUST for Writers
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
There were so many new members lately that I thought it appropriate to bring this benefit back into focus.

New members! Don't forget to take advantage of the Hatrack Utility Belt and its ever-growing list of upgrades and attachments! The HUB is now issued in version 1.2.

We urge caution. Please review the threads at revised link 1 and revised link 2 for examples of the device in use.

[ August 01, 2015, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Kathleen Dalton Woodbury ]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlin
Member # 2203

- posted      Profile for Merlin   Email Merlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhh... When do I get mine?
Posts: 10 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
You already have it.
Shanu
Member # 2195

- posted      Profile for Shanu   Email Shanu         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm. With great power comes great responsibility!
Posts: 19 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Yep. Tom Swifty ate my lunch one day. And I have a permanet set of Furry Dice, with my name engraved!
QuantumLogic
Member # 2153

- posted      Profile for QuantumLogic           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the web of intrigue: useful for collecting loose plot fragments, among other things.

Also, where did my idea generator go? There's a place for it on my belt, but it's empty.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
My Fuzzy dice(jet black BTW) seem to keep catching fire, am I using too much acetylene?
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

The HUB!

IT's time for an upgrade, folks.

I challenge our new members to propose some additions to this device!

Quantum Tunneling for working your way to the top of an editor's slush pile?

An armor-plated ego for taking critiques in hand?

Go for it!

JohnSWalsh
Member # 2371

- posted      Profile for JohnSWalsh   Email JohnSWalsh         Edit/Delete Post 
Buttseatium: Super adhesive to keep the seat of the writer attached to the chair so he/she actually writes.

Turnoffium: Prevents the writer from turning on the internet connection when he/she is supposed to be writing.

That is all...

Posts: 11 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Note for non-American HUB users, most specifically any UK HUB user:

"Suspenders" in the US are equivalent to "braces" I believe. However, "braces" doesn't quite fit the whole disbelief thing, thus we recommend the American variant.

For American users: Suspenders in the UK are the garters that hold up a woman's stockings.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Final note:

My HUB has a special button for activating an insta-Survivor-critique, by the way. I press it and Survivor immediately responds with anything that is wrong with my story. Quite handy, I admit.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Re: UK Suspenders

We knew that! Why else would the manual say "Use the suspenders on their own to add enjoyment to any flight of fancy you may encounter.".?

HSO
Member # 2056

Sometimes I gloss right over the obvious, Mike. Sorry.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

You should be sorry. I am offended.

Offendedly yours,

mike et al

theokaluza
Member # 2315

- posted      Profile for theokaluza   Email theokaluza         Edit/Delete Post 
Emergency Shut-Off Switch: Disables all telephones, televisions, and doorbells in your home for a four hour period. You may not over ride this four hour period no matter how frustrated you feel with your writing.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
rjzeller
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for rjzeller   Email rjzeller         Edit/Delete Post 
HSO -- I had to dissable my insta-Survivor-critique button. Everytime I'd activate it my brain would start hurting and it'd take me hours to recover. That button knows too much, that's all there is too it. It's lethal in the hands of a fool like me.
Posts: 207 | Registered: Jan 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that ethical, to shut the Survivor button off? It must, after all, be sentient....
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry about the Survivor Switch (or was it a button?). It is an optional upgrade and acts as a sort of back-up to the Hatrack Bosun Whistle, which is used to summon The Penmanship, the Hatrack Sloop captained by our very own Survivor.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post 
From my world I have carried with me a "BUCKET OF SUBSTANCE" It has properties of unusual character and so far no one has been able to define what it is made of. All new people who come into our world are required to go and obtain the Bucket of Substance on their first day.

Maybe this substance could be bottled in smaller portions that could be attached to the utility belt and used when needed.

I just placed an order for the HUB so I can see if the substance is compatable. I'll let you know.

MC

[This message has been edited by MrClean (edited February 23, 2005).]

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

How did I miss that Survivor was the captain of the Penmanship?

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

It was after the split infinitve broke part of Texas off and the Gulf surged in, Survivor surfing the leading wave with his usual flair, at the helm of the Penmanship.

[ August 01, 2015, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Kathleen Dalton Woodbury ]

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, MaryRobinette had already made it home from Texas. The split infinitive caused part of the West Coast to fall off into the Pacific Ocean, making Portland a seaside city.
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

I was checking back through the Dallas thread a bit and discovered that we've forgotten to include the literary license. Every writer needs one of those!
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Duly noted.

Thanks, Mike!

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Just bringing this back up to the top for our new snacks! er, victims. No, friends, that's it! Our new friends!
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
The "Survivor Switch" could be misconstrued as a punishment device.

What's a clever name for something that will tell you that your dream from last night is not the brilliant source material that it seems to be when you first wake up? Ex-dream makeover?

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Mid-Summer Night's Dream Cream?
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

quote:
Is that ethical, to shut the Survivor button off? It must, after all, be sentient....

Hmmm. Well, Survivor is actally a 3 million-year old robot from the future. Is it ethical to shut him down? Well, he's our offspring, and he's older than we, albeit in a time-warped sort of way. You tell me!

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Disabling the switch doesn't to anything to the main iteration, it only disconnects the local node.

A note of caution, I can (and have) capsize a boat without getting myself wet. This doesn't mean I'll do it on purpose, it's just something to remember when sailing with me. Just because I'm confident I won't end up in over my head, that doesn't mean that you won't.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

bringing this back up to the top again.
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Newbicide Spray

( joking, just joking )

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read the threads that started this whole thing and laughed my head off. We used to do that on an old message board I was part of. We called it The Neverending Story.

I would suggest a fragment fragger for the HUB.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

quote:
Newbicide Spray

Slow-acting, must be mixed with equal parts of sweat-equity and humility.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited March 07, 2005).]

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

quote:
Fragment Fragger

Used without caution, it leads to a superfluosity of commas and a shortness of breath.

franc li
Member # 3850

Or the dreaded semicolonoscopy.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

OUCH!

You MUST be related to Survivor. Your words are equally barbed.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Uncommitted-Newbie Night-Vision Goggles!

Those who aren't going to last more than a dozen posts show up glowing green on the forums!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
What do the Night Vision Goggles say about me?
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
The Newbie-goggles work extremely well, but they're a bit slow. Ask us again in a month.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post 
OOH! I know what I want for Christmas this year.

I have an immunity to newbicide. It must be the special natural protection of my thick skull and naturally enlarged ego (much better than an enlarged prostate, far less medically dangerous, and provides disbelieving friends with hours of hilarity).

On a more practical note, I would like to add an uber-back-brace, for those of us with uncomfortable chairs we can't afford to replace, and an Automatic Glute Exerciser, so even those with a sedentary lifestyle can enjoy Buns Of Steel (also helps with uncomfortable chairs--see above).

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Two or three more devices and we're going to have to go to Version 2.

I think we should prepare a user manual. Anyone up to helping out with that, or taking over the project? I'm behind on 1)critiquing, 2) submitting, 3)writing, and 4)paying bills. Well, 4) can wait.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The Portable Door- Allows you to walk through walls. Good for exporing ideas beyond your reach and horribly fun at parties.

The Paperweight Reader- magically reads your hard-drive in the case of computer tradgedy. (I've actually had to use this once. BACK UP EVERYTHING!)

Ice Cream Dispenser- Good for a cold sweet sensation that makes people happy. Caution: if used too much will cause brain freeze.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Ray...

Two days, three posts. At this rate--if you choose to keep it up--you ought to make the cut. But just BARELY!!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

I didn't realize it was possible to view post counts. Then I checked the profiles. Weird. Oh look, there is a smilies legend too. And a UBB code legend. You can tell I've been made soft by hanging around the books, film and whatever forum.
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't we do those stories anymore? Those look like fun!
Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree.
Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly because I refuse to get stuck in anymore airports. Not that it's done me much good...
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

I feel a MaryRo story coming on.

It's almost here. Better set the stage, or we will! *evil grin*

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

I got stuck in JFK for 24 hrs...pretend it was Mary, and foil her insidious plot to avoid more Destination chronicals!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.