Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Trying again.

Author Topic: Trying again.
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello - I've lurked and lurked and lurked. I feel like I know a lot of you already just from reading the posts.

My name is Allen Boyer. I live in Illinois just outside of Chicago. I work as a procedure writer for a Nuclear Power Plant. Very dry and very boring things to write, but the power plant is a great place to fantisize about the science fiction world. It's an enormous overwhelming place that kicks out 2.5 billion watts of continues energy on very little fuel.

I'm married and have five fantastic children. I love science fiction and have some great stories running around in my head (at least great to me!). I've only been writing them down for about two years now so my experience is not great but I am trying.

I've learned a lot from everyone here and the experience I recieved in the writers group was invaluable. anyway, I hope to continue to learn and help if I can.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And welcome to you as well, Mr. Clean. Sorry your reception here last time was less than pleasant. We look forward to hearing some of those stories, and hearing your thoughts on some of ours.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since you've been so kind as to welcome everyone else, I thought I'd follow your lead. Welcome!

To tell the truth, I'd thought about being a procedure writer for something along those lines... but I don't know if I could stand the dryness. No "scope for the imagination" there. But, apparently, there is! I might have to look back into that...

Well, thanks for the idea, and, again, welcome!

--Jaya

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what an interesting bunch of workplaces we've got here! welcome to hatrack.

I spent some time as a technical writer, and it was indeed dry. but more than the dryness, i think it was the sense that no one ever read the manual that made me want to do something else. I hope that isn't the case for you!

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also held a job where one of my functions was to write user manuals. And it was terribly boring, coupled with the requirement of writing it so it could be read by 8-year-olds for something extremely technical in nature. I guess maybe that made it slightly more challenging.

Anyway, try to not let people's comments get to you on a personal level. Even if they do "trash" something you say or write, by posting on a public forum, you are immediately vulnerable to having your views challenged -- and often not as tactfully as it would be when speaking in real life, in person.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.

Procedure manuals for nuclear power plants... I thought the majority of the stuff that goes on in a plant is automatic.

[edited to correct punctuation]

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited February 22, 2005).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rocklover
Member # 2339

- posted      Profile for Rocklover   Email Rocklover         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say hey to Homer for me.
Man. I can't imagine your job. I couldn't cope with the responsibility. WHAT IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE??? WHAT IF THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO PUSH BUTTON B AND THEY PUSH BUTTON C???
In my porfession, my WORSE mistake is fixable with Wite-Out.
Drove through Champagne,Illinois just last summer. Is that anywhere near you?
Welcome friend. Judith

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Mr. Clean, I love those new Magic Erasers you just came out with a few months ago. They get grime off of just about anything!

Seriously, welcome! Relax and sit a spell.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to check in and see if your evil Ivan was the same as my evil Ivan. My evil Ivan went to UVA, though so I don't seen any indication that that is likely.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poor MrClean only got eight responses to HSO's 50, so I'm trying to even the score.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since I always have to respond to MaryRobinette, I guess I'll have to help.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dear Mr. Fisher,

I had no idea I held such power over your correspondance. I am gratified, however, that this simple exchange brings Mr. Clean's response number up to eleven.

Sincerely yours,
MaryRobinette
(Mrs. R. A. Kowal)

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited March 03, 2005).]

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:: Donates a post to the cause::
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
S'pose I ought to add another one, since I'm the one that brought HSO's up to fifty in the first place.
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, MrClean. I've always enjoyed your theme song.

Anyway, I just got here myself--She Who Must Be Obeyed refers new members of the SFFW to these here forums for crit, advice, etc. (I've been reading OSC's reviews for over a year and never poked my head in before. *shame*)

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mr. Clean. You always say you're a newbie but you've been here longer than I have! So that officially promotes you above newbie now, doesn't it?
Glad to meet you.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

Tears of joy cannot express the way I am feeling right now. I think I'll go clean something.

Thank you, Thank you.

MC

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should point out that MrClean has now posted 103 times (11:53 pm EST, 3/3/05).

That officially puts him at 3 past the requirement for ending his "newbie" status.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited March 03, 2005).]

rickfisher
Member # 1214

So I think that everyone on this forum needs to post a Congratulations to MrClean on this thread, thus swamping the lead gained by the evil HSO (wait--I think I'm trapped in Reykjavik!).

Congratulations!

ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo-hoo! You've escaped the newbie ghetto! Congratulations!

(Can we get this thread to 60 posts, perhaps?)

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

But be careful Mr. Clean--there are ninja's lurking on every corner once you leave the newbie quarters. Do you have your Hatrack Utility Belt (HUB) yet?
Jaina
Member # 2387

Congrats! Now you can't use the "newbie" excuse any more, though.
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent!

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

I have ordered the HUB but it's not here yet. I am afraid. Can I function in this non newbie zone without it? I feel naked. Really I'm not naked but you know what I mean. Do ninja's wear clothes?

MC

TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my dreams, ninja's always wear clothes. I can't vouch for others, but I think they should always be clothed. Naked ninja's would be a terrible distraction in all those movies I have seen. Where would they keep all those weapons? Although, that could be the way the samurai get past the initial fear of being attacked by vicious ninjas. You know, kinda like envisioning the audience you are speaking to as naked.

I think that once you get your HUB, things will become much clearer to you. Perhaps it will help you with your naked ninja question?

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

If you want to get rid of ninjas, call upon the might of the Tick.

Spoon!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.