Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello

Author Topic: Hello
Usana
Member # 2407

- posted      Profile for Usana   Email Usana         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, everyone. My name’s Usana. I’m 23 years old and I live in Bangkok, Thailand.
I’ve been a member for twenty minutes or so (give or take five minutes). I’m also a big fan of Orson Scott Card and I thought that introducing myself here would be a great idea…right? Well, I’ve to admit that I’m a little nervous for posting here. You see, I’m not an English native speaker and I’m afraid that you guys might not understand what I’m writing. I hope my English is OK.
Anyway, the reason I came here is the same as any other; I want to gain new friends and improve my writing. I also want to be a writer, but I know that being Thai and having only learnt English for a few years might be a big trouble for me when I write my novel in English. So, I decided to get myself a chance to practice my writing skill, here.
I hope to get to know everyone of you.

Usana (In case someone want to know, this is my real Thai name and it’s a girl name.)

Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Usana. You're not the only person here who writes English as a second language, so please don't feel that you cannot belong.

Welcome to Hatrack!

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya!

You know, if you hadn't said that English wasn't your first language, I never would've guessed.

Welcome, and I hope you have fun here!

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Usana
Member # 2407

- posted      Profile for Usana   Email Usana         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#mikemunsil
Glad to hear that i'm not the only one. *grinning*

#Jeraliey
Thank you! *blushing*

dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed, Usana, your English skill is at least 10 times better than that of the people I work with every night, so I look forward to seeing some of your work. Only problem might be with me trying to find the time... a night shift job isn't very conducive to finding time to read.

You also aren't the only person here from that part of the world, I belive yanos is from around that part of the world as well.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm impressed. I see worse English skills in US college students on a semi-daily basis. Don't worry about your English skills--if that post is any indication, you're going to do splendidly!

Best of luck to you!

--Jaya

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Usana! Welcome. I love how this site has people from all over the world. I agree with everyone, your english is great. What are your writing interest?
Hope to get to know you better.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Usana. I live in Thailand too, but I am English

Welcome to the board, and remember, the more you write in English the easier it becomes and the better your stories become.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Usana
Member # 2407

#dpatridge
Thank you for your compliment, it make me feel better about my writing skill.
I will try to post my works here as soon as possible and hope you will find enough time to read them.

#Jaya
Well, Thank you! *blusshing hard* I hope to get to know you, too.

#MrClean
I love reading both Sci-fi & Fantasy, however I'm more into the fantasy genre when I'm writing. How about you?

#yanos
Hi, yanos! You're a teacher in Thailand? Where do you work? Is it in Bangkok? (If it's Chulalongkorn University, it would be a nice coincidence, because I'm studying there for my master degree)

Usana

ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Ursana. I am a fellow newbie and I want to add that, yes, your English is far better than that of most Americans; I wouldn't have guessed it wasn't your first langauge either. My guess is that you'll be fine.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Usana
Member # 2407

#ScottMiller
Thank you!

By the way, I'm going to post the first 13 lines (or so; I think it's a little longer than that) of my first attempt at writing fiction. It's a fantasy one and I hope you guys will take a look at it. Just go to F&F,and you'll see.

[This message has been edited by Usana (edited March 02, 2005).]

yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I teach in an English Program in Ratchaburi, not too far from Bangkok. Your English is impressive, much better than I am used to seeing here in Thailand. In fact better than most of the teachers I know here
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Usana
Member # 2407

Wow...yanos, thank you for your compliment. (Eventhough, I don't think that my English is *that* good. I still have much more thing to learn. )
Anyway, please take a look at my work in F&F, if you have time.

MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick reply. I mostly like SF.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usana - welcome! You will do fine here. Your English is great.
Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I'll go have a look.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Usana
Member # 2407

Thanks, TaShaJaRo!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.