Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hi

Author Topic: Hi
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always hated thinking up title for new threads. Anyway, I'm new here. Well, I'm sorta new here. I've been lurking for a few weeks and spying on people. *gasp!* No, really, I've just been checking this site out because I had a friend, Jaina actually (Hi, Jaina! *waves*), who told me I should come here and post stuff. Well, more than that. I should come here, read people's stuff, and post some of my stuff when I need help on it.

So here's some info on me:
I'm a college student, majoring in Geology right now, but I'm considering changing it to Art because Geology is so boring. It really is. I thought I might like it because I've always had an interest in rocks, but no. It's probably one of the most boring subjects out there.

But enough of that.

I've been writing stories since fifth grade, but I never really got serious about it until eighth grade. I've written an entire novel and am working on two others, all three of them being of--what else?--the fantasy genre. It seems like that's a pretty popular genre. I actually started out writing in the historical fiction genre, but it turned out that that was quite difficult and I gave it up. I can't keep all my notes straight in that genre. It's too hard being historically accurate all the time.

Um, and here's some info on my particular writing style. While I write in the sword and sorcery sub-genre of the fantasy genre, my stories are all literary. Every last one. Yup. I also tend to write with a blend of both the contemporary English style and a more sophisticated, formal style of English. And that was really hard to put into words.

Anyway, I suppose that's all I have to say about me for the moment. Now it's off to lurk some more and perhaps critique some stuff!

Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Shendulfea! What ever that means. Welcome! I too am a former lurker and just now getting my feet wet. Is the art on your listed web site yours? excellent stuff. Looking forward to getting to know you better. Lots of great people here. enjoy.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shendülféa! (Cripes, hon, that's even harder to spell than Mireath--why can't you pick something I can type, intsead of something I end up copying and pasting? Just kidding--your names rock.) *waves back* I'm glad to see you've finally decided to quit lurking and join already.

Have fun! And don't be afraid to post your stuff--just remember to give as good as you get!

Later,
Jaya

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, our little Jaina is growing up! Brings a tear to the eye.

Welcome, Shendi!

(Mind if I call you Shendi?)

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited March 02, 2005).]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shendülféa

Welcome to Hatrack!

I beg your pardon! There are no boring rocks, only boring geology professors. Now, if I were your professor it wouldn't be boring. But they threw me out of that profession years ago *grin* for not being boring!

Welcome again.

mm

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeraliey, I'm not sure what I should think of that post...

I'm going to assume it's a good thing. Because I don't like bad things.

Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, thanks to you all for the welcomes! I'm sorry I haven't had the time to post anything yet, but I should be able to once I finish doing my homework. And if you were wondering, my name actually comes from a character in my novel--a minor character, though, who you only get to read about for three pages before she dies. The fact that she dies has nothing to do with my choice to use her name. It was a name I made up and thought sounded nice, so I decided to use it. Oh yeah, and mike, I do have really boring geology professors, but the reason that I'm going to switch majors has more to do with the fact that my best talent is art and though I know it's difficult to find jobs in that field, I want to do it because it's long been a favorite passion of mine.
And yes, MrClean, the artwork on my website is indeed stuff I did myself. I know I have mostly fanart on there, but believe, me most of the drawings and paintings I do are of other things.
And one more thing: yes, Jeraliey, you may call me Shendi. I kinda like that name, actually. I never would have thought of that.

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Jaina!

I'm just teasing you! For some reason, your welcome just struck me as funny. Sorry if it sounded weird...sometimes I talk (and type) before I think.

Hmm, looking at it with a moderately normal amount of sleep, it does look a little odd. Sorry 'bout that. Shall I take it down?

Hope y'all like Hatrack!

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited March 03, 2005).]

Jaina
Member # 2387

Cripes, don't bother taking it down. I'm used to teasing, I don't mind at all. In fact, I thought it was funny. To make a small confession... I was teasing in my reply, too.

Shendülféa lives across the hall from me--we see each other every day, so we've kind of already got a way of talking to each other that probably does seem funny to everybody else.

Anyway, don't sweat it. I wasn't actually offended. It made me laugh, and besides, I'm 19. I am growing up... slowly, but it's happening.

Jaina
Member # 2387

Let's see if I can post something without saying "cripes" in it, shall we?

Drat, I said it.

Apparently, "cripes" is my word of the month. Yes, that's it. *shifty eyes*

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

I'd rather talk about crepes. They're yummy.

Totally understand the whole "word of the month" thing. I tend to go through phases, and it drives my friends crazy.

My current one seems to be "holy crap on a stick". A friend of mine seems to think that's a cue to whack me upside the head with whatever papers she happens to be holding at the moment....

BTW, the whole "growing up" thing was because of the "give as good as you get" comment, which I've seen from a bunch of veterans. It's also even funnier because I'm only 22...and a quite recent Hatrack joiner myself! Sorry for not picking up on the tease on your end...it's hard to tell sometimes when all you have are the words to go from. You never can tell who takes what seriously.

So now that we have an understanding, I look forward to large amounts of cheerful banter.

Better hold up your end.

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited March 03, 2005).]

TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shendülféa - I love the name. Welcome!
Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shendülféa.

Ah, yes, there we go. I finally figured out how to do it. I AM A GENIUS! HAHAHAHAHA!

Weeel, no, actually, I'm not. But it was such a rush. I'm always absurdly proud when I figure out how to make one of these computer things do what I want. (You should have seen me when I figured out the magic of right-clicking. I wept.)

Anyway, here's a "hi" right back at ya

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

At least she doesn't whack you with holy crap on a stick, eh, Jeraliey?

"Holy crap on a stick," though... that's an interesting one. I go for "cripes" when I'm typing, but when I'm talking I tend to lean towards "holy monkey in a handbasket." Which is a combo of something like three sayings and a quote from Pirates of the Caribbean. I think.

Hmm. We have started disregarding Shendülféa in here. Isn't this supposed to be about her?

Shendülféa--get in here and banter with us, girl!

Shendülféa
Member # 2408

Yes, this is MY thread and it's all about ME! Wha ha ha ha ha ha!

I'm afraid I'm not very good at banter, though--not unless it involves two or more characters in a story that I've written. Meh.

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Sorry, Shendi!

I still refuse to try to type your name Glad you like the nickname; I'm a huge fan of them. Practically all my characters have one, and I have to forcibly remind myself that it's annoying if EVERYONE has a nickname, so I don't use them all.

Shendülféa
Member # 2408

Yeah, when I first thought up this name, I didn't like trying to type it either, but then the more I used accents and umlauts, the better I got at it. Now I can type them as fast as I can type anything else. What I can't seem to type very quickly is numbers. Go figure.

And does anybody know what this: ˆ is called? I've been trying to figure it out for a long time now.

MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oo, me me! It's called a caret.

Oh, and hi Shendülféa, nice to meet you

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

You'll have to teach me how to type those. I just copy and paste your name into my posts when I need to.

However, I don't type numbers fast, either. So don't feel bad.

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And does anybody know what this: ˆ is called?

When over top of a letter, it's called a circumflex.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

...it looks like an asterisk to me....maybe that's just my computer screen.
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

A "circumflex"? Woah. I never would have guessed that in a million years. Thanks a lot! Now I can finally explain my pronunciations for my novels. Before, I was typing: If a vowel has a ˆ over it, then you pronounce it this way. Now that I know what it's called, I don't have to do that anymore! Yay!

And Jaina, it's really easy to type those types of characters. I have a Mac, but I believe it's the same on Windows, too. You just hit the option key plus "u" and then the letter if you want an umlaut , option + "i" and then the letter for the special circumflex (now that I know what it's called ), option + "e" and then the letter for an accent, and option + "n" plus the letter for a tilde. Pretty simple. Takes some getting used to, though. :P

Jaina
Member # 2387

Damn! I KNEW that! I swear, the minute I read "circumflex," I KNEW that word! Duh! Madame O used it in French class all the time!

Well. I feel like an idiot.

Okay, so now I'm going to have to figure out what the Windows equivalent of the "option" key is. Here goes:

My computer is just making funny noises at me. Maybe I'll just stick to copy and paste for now.

MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Okay, so now I'm going to have to figure out what the Windows equivalent of the "option" key is.

If you know the right code, you can use the Alt key. I don't have them memorized, but the format is Alt+XXX (where XXX is three numbers, which must be typed on the number pad). For example Alt+150 will give you û.

If you need a special character without copying it, and you don't know the code, then you can use the Windows character map. You can usually find it in Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools, although sometimes it is just in Accessories.

I know, both of these solutions are pretty clunky and non-intuitive.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
catnep
Member # 2359

- posted      Profile for catnep   Email catnep         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I am going to go with Shendi, too, especially after that conversation on circumflex and umlaut.

Anyway, welcome! I am curious to see your style of writing-- it sounds like your artistic nature will be coming out in your writing. Looking forward to it--

nep

Posts: 85 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

I feel so popular now because I have so many responses to my thread! Well, I think I'll post my first thirteen lines of one of my stories soon...once I stop dinking around with it. I'm such a perfectionist, I can't leave it alone! Argh! Bad me! *slaps self on the wrist*
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Post it. Right now. As in click the "Go To Fragments and Feedback" section this instant and post it.

Now.

You don't think I'm serious, do you? You're still reading this!

POST! NOW!

Ok, now I'm getting irritated. I can't believe this. You're still reading this.

Would you post it already? It's never going to be "ready" if you keep futzing with it!

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited March 05, 2005).]

Shendülféa
Member # 2408

Okay, okay, I'm posting it RIGHT NOW! No, wait. I'm going to post it right after I finish posting this post. :P
Jaina
Member # 2387

How in the world did you get her to do it when I've been trying for ages? What's your secret? Teach me! This is a valuable trick you've got here!
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

Well, Jaina, that's because you've read it before and you could just come over here and read it any ol' time you want. Jeraliey, on the other hand can't do that, so there! =P
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

You have much to learn, Grasshopper.

It will come in time.

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me, or do I feel a new critique group forming up?

Either that or they're reviving the Three Stooges--girl style!

Welcome Shendi. Geez, you guys make me feel OLD.

Now what I want from you is a phonetic pronunciation of your username posted on this board. <Darned creative newbies, gotta put in stuff no one can pronounce!>

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

Alright, here's how you pronounce my name: shen-dool-fay-uh.

Well, technically, the "u" with the umlaut over it is supposed to be pronounced with an airy tone, but I can't type that. And this name is a fé'arish name (fé'arish is the language of a race I made up) and everything in that language is phonetic, just like in Spanish. But I'm not going to post the pronunciation chart because, well, because I don't think I shall be speaking much fé'arish around here. So, yeah.

And if you think you feel old here, you should go to this other forum I post at sometimes. Granted it is a forum for a GameCube game, but still. I'm one of the oldest people there besides a couple of the mods and the admin. I'll be talking about college and they're all still talking about middle and high school. It's sad, really.

Jeraliey
Member # 2147

It wouldn't work...I don't do fantasy, usually.

And I think we would be quickly shut down because of the giggling!

Jaina
Member # 2387

I like the Three Stooges, myself, though I'm not sure how keen I am on actually being one.

But giggling--I'm always down for that. Works out the abs, you know. Laugh 100 times per day and you'll have rock-hard abs in a month.

Shendülféa, you do realize that you're going to have to tell everyone how to pronounce "fé'arish" now, right? I'd try, but I'm afraid I'd mess up, and that would be embarassing.

ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shendülféa: You think *you* feel old for looking at stuff about video games? Try doing it at 28.

I recently got a copy of PuyoPop Fever for the Gamecube and I went surfing to figure out how to encounter the hidden boss on the HaraHara Course. It made me feel like the Old Man On The Mountain.

*strokes long gray beard*

(incidentally, you need to either never continue, or else get a number of continues that happens to be a multiple of 7 to meet the hidden boss. You're welcome.)

Shendülféa
Member # 2408

Oh, that's only two years older than one of the mods at the Baten Kaitos forums (great game, if you don't have it and have 60 hours to spare to beat it. The voice acting isn't too great, though, and you'll have to shut it off). And I think the admin is in her early thirties, based off of her picture. But since I know you have a Gamecube, might I recommend a few games? You see, I'm a huge gamer, so I've got tons. If you don't have Tales of Symphonia, you absolutely have to get that. It's a fantastic game. If you have it, you'll probably agree (or maybe you won't, I dunno). Of course, Metroid Prime is good and even though it looks kiddy, Wind Waker is also quite good.

I love finding other people that have Gamecubes! Then I don't feel so lonely!

And thanks for that tip! I don't have the game, but I'll have to get it and try it now.

ScottMiller
Member # 2410

I must be a bit of a looney in one respect--I traded in a PS2 to get a Gamecube (the Metroid Bundle). I've played just about every game in the series, so it was a no-brainer to me. Metroid Prime is a great game and I like the second one a little bit more (which is good, because I preordered it, and I was afraid I wouldn't like it--instead I've beaten it five times). I'm very proud that I managed to beat Hard Mode in both games; that's not something I usually can do. (The Omega Pirate is a serious pain in the butt in the first game, though, and the Boost and Spider Ball Guardians in the second irritate the heck out of me, especially on Hard.)

I was thinking about trying out Baten Kaitos and Tales Of Symphonia, funnily enough. Thanks for the recommendation. My gaming budget is limited and I just picked up Sonic Heroes (because it was cheap and because I already have all the other Sonic games for the Gamecube ^^; ), but I'll probably grab one or the other soon.

If you like puzzle games, Puyo Pop Fever is a great grab. Just make sure to turn down the sound, because you can't turn off the voice acting, and it gets very annoying whenever the combos start to rack up and the characters start to shout their heads off repeatedly. Still, it's only about $20 at Wal-Mart (Gamestop wants $30), so if you like puzzle games, it's a good buy. I like playing it to relax, but I'm weird

Oh, and I love my Gamecube.

[This message has been edited by ScottMiller (edited March 08, 2005).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.