Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello

Author Topic: Hello
kcr
Member # 2412

- posted      Profile for kcr   Email kcr         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no clever way of introducing myself, just a collection of facts. Sorry.

I am 32, living in Memphis, program for a living, with a wfie and two kids. I generally don't write hard scifi becasue, while I appreciate the joy of a cool idea, I am more intereste din how people react to living with the cool idea, at least in fiction.

That's about it.

Kevin

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Kevin. I like the point that you made here and think it makes for stronger stories than those that rely soley on technology to carry a plot.

mikemunsil

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi kcr. Welcome! Yeah, I would agree with your statement about the story being more important than the hard scifi. I like hard scifi but it is also hard to just read and enjoy. I usually read to escape the difficult stuff, so a scifi story that's more personal is more fun to read. Hope to get to know you better and enjoy.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi KCR I live about an hour from Memphis, up in Blytheville.

Grew up in Memphis in the Raliegh area! Its great to see another Memphian Writer!

I've been working on getting a Memphis area writer's group going. Maybe we'll meet one day. Either way, welcome to Hatrack.

JB Skaggs

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, KCR! Just arrived here myself. People here offer good advice.

I do like to read hard SF from time to time but it's a hard form to pull off--sometimes it seems like the author just wanted to write a futuristic technical manual and threw a plot in to call it fiction. (This kind of hard SF occasionally appears in Analog). I prefer the characters to interact with whatever the science-fictional idea is.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
kcr
Member # 2412

- posted      Profile for kcr   Email kcr         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone

Thanks for the welcome.

I really don't have anything agaisnt hard sf, I just prefer to read about cool ideas by themselves, without the wrapping of fiction. And, besides, my mind just works that way -- "Hey, that's cool. Oh, I bet that means people could do X now!"

Skaggs

I am not actually from Memphis -- just came here to finish school. If you do try to start the writers group up, let me know.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.