Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Drew Adams says hello!

Author Topic: Drew Adams says hello!
Drew Adams
Member # 2438

- posted      Profile for Drew Adams           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, everybody

I'm excited that I found this forum. I've been writing stories since I was a kid and have four unfinished novel manuscripts collecting dust at home to show for it. I also majored in print journalism in college with virtually a second major in creative writing. During high school, I won a state creative writing contest. I also won a college extemporaneous essay contest during my junior year. Both of these achievements affirmed that writing was my destiny.

Three years ago, I began my fifth novel through Writer's Digest School and worked closely with an established writer who gave me a lot of insider's info. for success. I finished the class and completed the novel's first draft, had six friends read it, and am now busy with the "second draft." My goal this summer is to finish the second draft and find an agent. I'm hoping to get more advice and constructive criticism through this site--and hopefully to help a few other writers who are in the same shoes with some constructive criticism.

As far as credentials, I've also published more than a dozen short stories and articles, but I'm not here to brag about myself. Just wanted you to know "where I am" in my journey hopefully toward the destination of being a published novelist. I work full-time as an editor, which is really the perfect job (other than being home and writing full time, my lifelong dream). I edit brochures, catalogs, and magazines every day, so hopefully I can contribute an editor's trained eye.

I must admit that I'm not a big SciFi fan, but writing truths should be universal no matter your preferred genre. My favorite genre is the suspense novel. As for hobbies, I love reading, playing the piano, hiking, swimming, playing with my kids, etc. BTW, I'm married and have two daughters. Any suggestions on how to balance full-time fatherhood with the writing life are welcome.

Looking forward to the adventure!

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew Adams (edited March 16, 2005).]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
catnep
Member # 2359

- posted      Profile for catnep   Email catnep         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think mikemunsil came up with the best advice for a parent...it involved tape, I believe.

I had a non-fiction writer for a teacher for a writing course I did, and though I wrote only one piece of non-fiction (all the others fiction) she was a great editor. I like to think she helped my writing permanently. So I am sure you will be a great addition here (even if genres differ).Welcome to the group!

[This message has been edited by catnep (edited March 17, 2005).]

Posts: 85 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and welcome, Drew.
Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, another journalist! Welcome to Hatrack.

What sort of Journalism do you do?

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Drew Adams
Member # 2438

- posted      Profile for Drew Adams           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was trained in print journalism and had a couple newspaper internship experiences. In fact, one of them was during the Gulf War in 1991; that was an interesting semester, to say the least. Not into print journalism today so much, though I know how to write news stories. Just not my thing.

I knew I wanted to write, and I knew I needed a vocation that would put food on my plate and gas in my car. I knew that majoring in creative writing meant I'd probably be starving most of my life. It didn't seem wise at the time, and I'm glad I didn't pursue it, though it's been my primary writing love.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Started studying journalism but after four years, two work-terms (totalling 12 months), and several classes with slipping grades, I decided I didn't really want to be a reporter.

So now I have a day job that lets me write when I want or need to. . Since strating journalism, I don't think I wrote anything very creative. Since I quit journalism, I written several short stories and even got one of them published last year! Yeah!

I wonder how many other journalists get to feeling like that?

MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Drew, Welcome! You've found a great place with great people. enjoy.

MC

Oh yeah, I have five children and I know about the tape thing. They tape me up all the time, take the car, my wallet and everything in the refrigerator! Then they send me the bill. I don't get it.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Drew!
Who is your favorite suspence author?

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not another Drew! hehe, no worries, this Drew just uses the initial here at Hatrack.

Welcome to Hatrack! Despite my above words, I actually find it pleasant to see another Drew as a budding writer, and further along in it than myself to boot!

well, see you around fellow Drew.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
FreyasFriend
Member # 2426

- posted      Profile for FreyasFriend   Email FreyasFriend         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Drew. I look forward to your writing and comments. You seem to have experience which can add to the collective wisdom.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Drew!
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Drew Adams
Member # 2438

You are all so hospitable! To answer at least one of the questions, my favorite suspense author is probably Dean Koontz. Have any of you read him? I love his novel "Odd Thomas." If I had to choose a writer I'd most like to emulate, it would probably be him. Another would be Christian suspense novelist Frank Peretti.

Robyn_Hood, what kind of work do you do that lets you write when you want? I'd like to apply. Anybody know any rich people who'd like to endow somebody like me to stay at home and write all day? My main challenge is time. I work full-time and I have a family with small children, including a one-year-old as of March 23. When's a guy supposed to find the time to pursue his dreams? Aaaggghh! I guess I've been learning an important lesson about what's more important life: my children and my wife or my dreams. According to the Bible, it's gotta be my wife and kids, but that doesn't mean it's easy to put dreams on hold. Can any of you relate?

I just finished reading Stephen King's nonfiction title "On Writing." In it, he exhorts every writer to write at least four hours a day. Sure, no problem. Find a way for me to quit my full-time job, and I'd be happy to write four hours a day. Make it even eight hours a day. No problem.

[This message has been edited by Drew Adams (edited March 17, 2005).]

TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dean Koontz is one of my favorite suspense authors also. My favorite book of his is Coldfire. I also like Mary Higgins Clark and I have read Frank Peritti but am not as into those types of novels as I used to be.
Glad to have you aboard!

Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Right now I'm working as a switchboard operator for a large company. Sometimes it gets busy, but it seems like the calls come in waves (almost like a cosmic pulse goes out and prompts several people to all pick up their phones and start calling in rapid succession. Oddly this also tends to coincide with the moments I'm just getting into something. ).

Occasionaly I have projects to do, as long as they aren't time sensitive. Mostly I have to find ways to entertain myself. Hatrack and writing are among the most entertaining things I can think to do at work (you can only play just so many free internet games on Yahoo! before they get really boring and repetative).

So I have a relatively low-stress job that pays the bills and enables me to do something I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember.

It isn't easy to find time to pursue your dreams, especially once you have a family and your time no longer belongs solely to you.

----

Haven't read any Koontz, but I got a hold of Peretti's YA novels when I was a teen -- they were the freakiest stuff I had ever read and they still rank right up there.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.