Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Kia Ora from NZ

Author Topic: Kia Ora from NZ
Howjos
Member # 2441

- posted      Profile for Howjos   Email Howjos         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I guess this is part of the initiation rights. Please don't take my writing here to be a reflection about what I can do later on, as this isn't even receiving the attention I would normally give to a first draft.

Anyway, I'm joining from way down here in New Zealand. Isn't the internet great; it is some great all interconnecting other realm where boundaries no longer exist, or are at least diminished.

I am a fan of Orson Scott Card and when I saw this forum it grabbed me. Much like the writing bug did again about a month ago. I am a dabbler in the art of writing, I enjoy it, but always seem to get stuck after about 10 pages. I know 10 pages mmakes a good short story, but my ideas are usually saga length to begin with and I can't seem to pick out key elements to play off.

I am looking to find a source to express my ideas and develop some new skills, so I hope you guys can help in that area.

Whenever you see my name up get involved. I will be quick to reply to posts and love getting input/feedback on my stuff.

Catch ya round
Howjos

Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Howjos,

Welcome to the community. The people around here are extremely helpful, and I'm sure you'll find the community is a truly awesome resource. But for a writer trying to develope some discipline and perserverence, getting your work reviewed by astute readers (and you'll find some here that are frighteningly good) can be daunting. You'll make your real gains by doing critiques for others (by seeing common mistakes and getting a sense of what does and does not work), and you'll develope a good callous on your sensibilities, which will make getting a crit more of a intriguing challenge, as opposed to just feeling like someone chewed on your writing hand.

Anyway, enough of that. Jump in and have some fun.

Look forward to seeing you on the boards,
Joe

Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard!

We truly are an international bunch around here. I don't know if we have any other Kiwis, but we've got a pretty good representation from other members of the Commonwealth including: Australia, Britain and Canada.

There is plenty to get involved with around here, so don't be afraid to dive in. And don't get scared off if you get a scathing crit -- everybody here tries to be proffessional, but sometimes that means you have to be willing to assume the Conan Credo, "What does not kill you, makes you stronger."

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! welcome Howjos. Great to meet you. I have to agree with Robyn_Hood, we really have an international group of people here and it's interesting to talk to everyone around the globe. Hope you ejoy your stay here.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The internationalism of Hatrack is just one of the things I like about it. Welcome! Enjoy your stay.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Howjos
Member # 2441

- posted      Profile for Howjos   Email Howjos         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are you saying 'I hope you enjoy your stay?'

This makes it sound like I am only going to be here for a short time. Why notsay something like welocome aboard, or its great to have you here?

Thanks for the welcome anyway....Now where do I get started

jimmyjazz951
Member # 2443

- posted      Profile for jimmyjazz951   Email jimmyjazz951         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on in. Sit down and take your shoes off. Stay awhile. Pop a top and throw back a few.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya, Howjos!

Guess what! You've already started! Hard part's over! Now you get to poke around wherever you want!

Welcome aboard!

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! Glad to see you here. One of the coolest things about Hatrack is that we're from everywhere. It's awesome like that.
Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Howjos
Member # 2441

Well I've found a place to start. I have read a few of the writing class threads and replied to the Minds eye one. Currentlt getting some ides together for the latest rewrite to submit something there. Looks like a very good site.

Again thanks for the welcome.

ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howjos: Excuse my bad manners. I've been battling the flu (or something) for nearly a week now and am in the grip of a paralyzing headache.

"Enjoy your stay" probably came out of thinking about hotels, or something. Oh, well.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.