Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Happy Anniversary to me!

Author Topic: Happy Anniversary to me!
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I should have done this sooner, but I thought it would be fun to wait until my 1st year Hatrack Anniversary.

About Hatrack:
I’m addicted.
It is a truly unique place. I have never seen another writing community that functions as well as this one. I have enjoyed every minute of the past year. I have received help from many people here, and I hope I have been able to help some of them in return. Thanks to you all, and a special thanks to Kathleen, who keeps us in line.

Since the purpose of the thread is to introduce myself:
I'm 30, married, no kids, live in Richmond, VA, Aquarius. I share my home with 2 birds, 2 dogs, 1 cat.

I began my career working in medical journalism. I started as an editorial assistant, and worked up to Managing Editor of a small, medical journal. When the journal went to a new publishing company out-of-state, I worked as a public relations coordinator for a few years before deciding to go back to school to get my teacher licensure. While in school, I worked at a hospital, got a lot of great, scary writing material from that. Now, I’m student teaching to finish my licensure requirements.
In my free time, I earned a black belt in Tang Soo Do, and got my instructor’s licensure to teach it.

I’ve been seriously working on writing spec fiction for about 2-3 years now. Just started submitting stuff last year. No fiction published yet, but have my fingers crossed for luck.
Writer’s that have inspired me are - Frank Herbert, Robert Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, Raymond Chandler (so stylish), Stephen King (really love his short stories), Sir Arthur Cohen Doyle, Jack London, Richard Matheson (his short stories rock), Edgar Allen Poe, Frank Peretti and many others. I tend to like sci-fi and horror more than fantasy, but I still appreciate it.

(edited because I just thought of the following. I know, it's gonna sound corny but...)

The writers that have inspired me the most in the past year are my fellow hatrackers.

[This message has been edited by NewsBys (edited March 21, 2005).]

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw...you're swell.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Anniversary NewsBys!

I'm having a piece of cake to celebrate with you...my sweet tooth and expanding waistline have nothing whatsoever to do with it.

I didn't realize you were just down the road. I'm up here in Falls Church right now. Maybe we'll run into each other if Richmond or DC gets a good writers conference or something similar.

BTW, what's Tang Soo Do? I'm not familiar with that discipline.

Anyway, Happy First!

Joe

Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy anniversary!
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that makes 4 VA folks now.
Sometimes they have conferences in Maryland, don't they? If would be good to meet up. Also, I think Boot Camp is in VA next year.

Tang Soo Do is a traditional Korean martial arts discipline. Tae Kwon Do was based on it and some other ancient traditional disciplines.
I like Tang Soo Do because it is more focused on holistic health and traditional discipline than on sporting and competition.
Here is a link to our association's website if you are interested:
http://www.worldtangsoodo.com

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a present do you want two more birds? I've got two myself that are good-for-nothing buzzards... even though I named them Bean and Petra...

I didn't realize we had so many people from VA...

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited March 22, 2005).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

Please, NO MORE BIRDS. Two is enough. (Sounds like you have figured that out too.)We used to have three, but one died. They live for like 70 years, so they might outlive me. They are seed-junkies, they might die sooner.
They were poor little orphans. We got suckered into taking them. I like them, but they are so messy.

[This message has been edited by NewsBys (edited March 22, 2005).]

MrClean
Member # 1958

- posted      Profile for MrClean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy anniversary! My daughter has two birds (African Greys) I could give you also even though you don't want them. They are very very sweet and only make a tiny little noise once in a great while and they make hardly any mess. Oh wait! Never mind. they just accidentally flew out the back door.

MC

Posts: 140 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy anniversary, and may you have many more!

One question. I also think Matheson's short stories are excellent, but have you ever read "I Am Legend?"

I happen to have a first edition which I picked up for $10 about nine years ago. It's the closest thing to a rare or antique book I have.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bean and Petra are parakeets. A couple gave them to us when they moved. They weren't tamed then, but now Bean will hop on my finger if he is forced.

For the amount of effort I spend cleaning out there cage, and the noise they make...

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy 1st! Maybe if we can get a few more people from the Southeast on this message board, we could have a weekend conference or something. That would be neat.
Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
FreyasFriend
Member # 2426

- posted      Profile for FreyasFriend   Email FreyasFriend         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy anniversary and welcome. It is good to see so many animal lovers in our ranks. I have two dogs, six cats, and seventeen chickens. Chickens are not as long lived as Parrots, but they are great for the garden [lots of that feces stuff for composting]. Please post some of your writing soon.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

Scott - I am Legend is my fav. It is interesting how many films it has spawned. I didn't like Matheson's Hell House. Weird story. The new edition of I am Legend has lots of short stories in it. Check it out.

I have a first edition collection of Raymond Chandler's short stories. The cool thing is that later he changed the names of the characters and republished the stories as Phillip Marlowe stories. It has to be worth something.

TaShaJaRo - Maybe if there is a conference in the area, we can all get together for an informal workshop. I'm game.

Freyas - You have chickens! I would love to have a rooster. That would really bug the neighbors.

goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy anniversary!
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

Well, I almost added a baby rabbit to the pet menagerie last night.

Chani, our semi-outdoor cat, decided to play with a baby rabbit last night.
Let me clarify - playing, for her, always ends with eating her playmate.
Fortunately, my dogs were shocked by this, and caused such a ruckus that I had to see what was wrong.
There was Chani, with a baby bunny between her paws.
I've seen her play with a mouse before and knew what fate the bunny would eventually meet. So I "rescued" the bunny, which was instantly dubbed "Easter Bunny" and took him inside to overcome his shock. Thankfully he was unharmed, just dazed, confused and very damp.
Needless to say, Chani was not at all pleased that I had taken her new toy/warm snack.
My husband, whom I will henceforth refer to as Elly May, wanted to keep the critter.
It took quite a bit of persuasion, before Elly May was convinced that we already had enough critters, and it would be best to release Easter Bunny back into the woods.
After Easter Bunny recovered a bit, we distracted Chani with some catnip and released him into the area of brambly woods where most of the rabbits seem to live.

Hope that earned me a big, fat Easter basket.

Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm 30, married, no kids, live in Richmond, VA, Aquarius. I share my home with 2 birds, 2 dogs, 1 cat."

So did you kick out the wife then? LOL

Posts: 57 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi NewsBys,

Thanks for the Tang Soo Do link, it looks interesting. It also sounds like something me and my expanding waistline should look into.

I'm glad you mentioned Boot Camp in Virginia next year, I hadn't even noticed. With all these Virginians and Close-Enough-To-Virginians, we may have to plan an assault on a local starbucks or something, just so we can include anyone who might not be attending Writing Class/Boot Camp. It's over a year off, but...it's a goal.

Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

Ha!
It does sound like that doesn't it EMonkey. Actually, I just didn't want to list the spouse in the list of pets. I guess I should have said, We share our home...

Joe - Sounds like a plan, we will have to keep in touch about that. Maybe something else will come up sooner.
About the Tang Soo Do thing. Visit Capital Tang Soo Do if you get a chance. The instructor is a friend of mine and is a 4th degree instructor. Email me if you would like more info.

ScottMiller
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for ScottMiller   Email ScottMiller         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NewsBys: I'll check out the new edition. I'm always afraid to read my copy, because, being a nearly fifty-year-old paperback, I half expect it to disintegrate if I look at it too hard.

Funny you should mention Chandler. I just read his biography and he gave his publisher permission to change all the detectives' names to Marlowe sometime in the late 1940s or very early '50s (I don't recall which at the moment). So that's got to be worth something.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

[This message has been edited by NewsBys (edited April 12, 2006).]

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

I know, I took a break from Hatrack for about 6 months.

I'm returning to celebrate my 2nd year anniversary, and to get back into the mix.

Hi everyone

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.