Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello fellow scribes.

Author Topic: Hello fellow scribes.
Jedsman
Member # 7012

- posted      Profile for Jedsman           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My real name is David and I hale from England. I’ve toyed with writing on and off for many years, my first inspiration being The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. I was five when the first film was released and it change my life in many ways at the time, including wanting to create my own universe that was as rich and succumbing as Lucas’s. Some say I’ve grown up since, and as such life started to get in the way of trying to write. Small things like mortgages, weddings and kids, you know the score I’m sure. I recently read Orson’s book on how to write Science Fiction & Fantasy, and this has re-awakened my old writing self, and after typing Orson Scott Card into Google, I ended up here, and by the looks of things, it may turn out to be a good move. I hope to join and help other aspiring writers on the journey to successful and rewarding writing.

Thirty years on from Star Wars, my lasting inspirations come from authors such as Iain M. Banks (And Iain Banks), Stephen King (Dark Tower more than horror), Dan Simmons, Arthur C. Clarke. Other films that have moved me to put pen to paper in a very amateur fashion are Blade Runner, Alien, Dark Star, Silent Running, Logan's Run, hmm the list goes on.

I am currently working on a short story, just need to iron out the middle. It’s actually the first story that I have worked on that has a start, middle and an ending! Most simply start, then stop. I have the first 13, but as there isn’t much to look at after, I’ll wait before posting it.

Good luck to all and let’s have some fun.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack, Guv-nuh!

Good luck with the writing, and keep on attaching middles and ends! Actually writing it out is half of the battle.

Posts: 3682 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your last name isn't Paolini is it?

Sorry inside joke...welcome to Hatrack!

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jedsman
Member # 7012

- posted      Profile for Jedsman           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually it is.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, welcome.
Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.