Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Don't forget your towel

Author Topic: Don't forget your towel
Forgotten
Member # 8033

- posted      Profile for Forgotten   Email Forgotten         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heya

So, way back when I first signed up for this site, probably three months ago, I got to clarify that I wasn't a spam bot. My credentials were pets and a junk folder. Then I was told to come over and introduce myself, so that I could start making some posts. And I was really excited about that! So, being the religious adherent to procrastination that I am, I considered coming over to introduce myself. But "today" was never quite the right day. However, I did give myself very specific time frames for posting my introduction. Precise dates such as: "maybe tomorrow" and "next week".

Now that "maybe tomorrow" has arrived, I guess I'll give you a bit of actual useful information about myself. First, I figured when I came to post my introduction, it would be something short, like "Hi, I'm Matt, I'm looking forward to writing things and putting them on this site and hearing your input!" But then I read some of the other introductions. My first thought was "Man, I have to write paragraphs!?"

I'm Matt. I joined this site because a friend of mine told me about it, and I know he's somewhere hanging around these forums. Reading some of the past introductions, I see that I'm not the first person (this week) posting from a foreign country. I'm also living in Japan, teaching in a Junior High School, and lamenting the loss of reading and writing towards a specific end.

I don't know that I would consider myself a writer, per se, though I do thoroughly enjoy writing. Mostly I write things for myself, share them with one or two real life acquaintances, and then put them in the dusty folder named "Things I Have Written". This site is definitely going to be different from a forgotten folder, and that's pretty cool.

I am actually published. Yes, I am published in that most prestigious and famous anthology titled "A Collection of Ohio's Young Poets". You can find a poem I wrote in fourth grade secreted within the pages of that book, lost amidst the thousands of poems published by junior highschoolers across Ohio. Honestly, I have serious doubts that anyone who purchased the book outside of my immediate family ever even bothered to read a poem written by anyone they didn't personally know.

I write things off and on, mostly jotting down ideas I have that seem interesting, or decide I like a specific phrase and dedcide to see where I can go from there. It usually never takes me very far, as more often than not, I let things die at that phrase, and never get around to adding to it.

When I read for pleasure, I tend to read an assortment of fantasy, sci fi, cultural commentaries (from a sociological stance), and more recently, Japanese literature (such as Haruki Murakami and Yukio Mishima).

One author with whom I have become absolutely enamored is Neil Gaiman, and my writing style tends to fall more in line with his hard-to-classify modern fantasy/fairy tales.

Since I don't really know how best to classify what I want to write, whether it will be fantasy or sci fi, I hope you guys let me hang out here and toss up stories, and see where things go!

Looking forward to posting on this site, and hearing input from all of you! (Ha! Got to say it, after all!)

~Matt

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh what rotten luck!

Kathleen just passed out the last Utility belt equiped with hundred dollar bills. All we got left now are cheap the ones assembled in a converted radioactive dump in Siberia. But don't let that bother you, I'm sure they're fine.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited September 09, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forgotten
Member # 8033

- posted      Profile for Forgotten   Email Forgotten         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, so long as it fits through my belt loops, I think I can get along just fine!

Of course. . .if anyone happens to not want their Utility Belt stuffed full of hundred dollar bills, you may be able to convince me to part with the one that could, conceivably, grant one super powers.

On second thought, maybe not. . .

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, and welcome from another expat writer in Japan!

I'm going to guess you're an ALT like me with lots of time to write on your hands?

You like Neil Gaiman, eh?

Cool, me too! My only publication credit thus far was a essay about his work on the Sandman, in 'The Sandman Papers'.

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
snapper, if you're going to hand out our Hatrack Utility Belts, also known as the H.U.B., could you at least provide the link, so people can find the topic?

Thank you.

And welcome, Forgotten. Glad to see you finally made it.

By the way, procrastination is only supposed to be used for things you SHOULDN'T do, not for things you should, like writing.

Posts: 8541 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forgotten
Member # 8033

Yep, Lyra - I'm an ALT with plenty of time to write, but too many distractions, and occasionally faulty pens. That is to say, sometimes I put them on paper, and they just won't move.

I definitely love Neil Gaiman, pretty much everything he's written has had at least one character who has stuck with me, though none moreso than Door, of Neverwhere.

Congratulations on the essay publication! I daresay that's a bit more impressive than a ten year-old writing six lines that rhyme :P

Kathleen, thanks for the welcome! I'm sure snapper would have supplied a link to the utility belts, but with the residual radiation on my Russian belt, I'm sure he was just trying to keep me safe at the risk of his own well-being. It was really a very altruistic gesture, I think.

As for fixing that procrastination thing, starting tomorrow, I'll see what I can do!

jkhodgepodge
Member # 8191

- posted      Profile for jkhodgepodge   Email jkhodgepodge         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Matt!

It isn't really procrastination if you have something else you NEED to do. For research on YA novels (my target audience) I just read the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. I have recently found out that my Shakespearian college professors did me a great disservice and I need (there's that word again) to read Beowulf. You guys have pointed out Neil Gaiman, and I don't think I've read any of his books either. So today, for more research, I'll run to the library. Unfortunately, we don't have a bookstore in my small town

So maybe tomorrow I'll be able to get to work again writing. Besides, my characters appear to dislike my plot line and have veered from it causing a rewrite of the last two chapters. Is there anything in the HUB that will freeze characters and force them to do what I wanted them to? Looks like more research on my part

Again, welcome!

Posts: 34 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.
Posts: 1165 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.

-Jo

Posts: 447 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now if your worn out from all that socializing(great group, aren't they?), it's my pleasure to offer you a place to relax those sore feet. I just bet you'd like a recliner. You look the sort. There ya go. Just put those footies up and enjoy.

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Matt.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is there anything in the HUB that will freeze characters and force them to do what I wanted them to?

Hmm. I wouldn't recommend adding Character Freeze, but you can add anything you think would be useful to the H.U.B. simply by posting in the topic.

Lajos Egri, in his book THE ART OF DRAMATIC WRITING, recommended firing characters who don't do what you want them to do. He seemed to feel that there are always plenty of characters around somewhere, and you could "hire" the ones who will do what you want in a story.

Posts: 8541 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sakubun
Member # 5719

- posted      Profile for sakubun           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm the "friend" he mentions.

I've heard some of his ideas and they are good. Expect to see 13 lines from him in the next 6-9 months....

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marchpane
Member # 8021

- posted      Profile for marchpane   Email marchpane         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always appreciate a Douglas Adams reference...

Welcome to Hatrack!

[This message has been edited by marchpane (edited September 12, 2008).]

Posts: 91 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there, Forgotten -

Wow, have I gotten behind! If you have read any of the previous intros, I am sure you know that I welcome everyone with a monthly movie. You were probably wondering why the movie wasn't playing - much like our protagonist, I felt I couldn't get involved, I had work to do. Anyway, please excuse the delay.
I see you have your seat, so without any further ado, I shall start the movie up again -

"This station is now the ultimate power in the universe. I suggest we use it..."

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like someone to explain to me why everyone gets to go to Japan but me. Why is that, exactly?

Where are you at, exactly? I've watched so much anime I almost feel I could find my way around.

Oh and have some pocky, or like a brownie or something.

I too love Neil Gaiman. I read the "Season of Mists" graphic novel/collection thingy whn I was about 14 and it left me scarred for...I mean changed my life.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KO-NEE-CHEE-WAH Forgotten!
No worries, I can procrasinate better than anyone! Like now for instance, I'm very purposefully not working on editing a short story.

So, how are you enjoying Japan? Do you sleep in a real bed? My husband was stationed in Yakuska for 3 years. I love Sushi! Hey, stock up on electronics, huh? Can I paypal you some money and give you my eight-year-old's Christmas list? Everything on there is electronic. About 3K worth over here in USA.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sakubun
Member # 5719

- posted      Profile for sakubun           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Begin Tangent]

It was just yesterday that I learned Neil's last name is pronounced gay-man not GUY-man.

In Japanese GAI is pronounced guy, so I think I assumed it was that.

[End Tangent]

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkhodgepodge
Member # 8191

- posted      Profile for jkhodgepodge   Email jkhodgepodge         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was just a few days ago when I took a procrastination trip to the library. Spent half an hour finding that there are NO books by Mr. Gaiman. Looks like I'll have to track a few down online.

Decided not to freeze/fire my character. She knows she is the main char and I figured if she had time to skip through the fields then I'd turn the bad guy loose on her. He's really bad. She has now stepped back in line

Posts: 34 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.