Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello

Author Topic: Hello
mark_w_16601
Member # 8229

- posted      Profile for mark_w_16601   Email mark_w_16601         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all you wonderful people,

I am new to writing and this is my first exposure to this site. I look forward to reading the postings. I have been writing a manuscript for a year and have just completed it. I am now working on my querry letter and looking for an agent. My story is based on an alternative view of where UFOs are from and I tie the phenonomen into historical events.

Thank you in advance for your attention and I hope to be of whatever help I can be to all of you.

Mark

Posts: 16 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Mark. So nice of you to stop by and join us. Please come in and make yourself right at home on this beautiful leather recliner. It's not often I beat everyone to the door even though I'm the official greater... at least I like to think I am .

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark_w_16601
Member # 8229

- posted      Profile for mark_w_16601   Email mark_w_16601         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the greeting and the wink

Posts: 16 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Mark. Here's your link to the Hatrack Utility Belt, also known as the H.U.B. It's for fun, so I hope you enjoy it.
Posts: 8541 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Mark -

Welcome to Hatrack! You have my curiosity up - UFOs eh?
Hmmm - typical speculations have been aliens, advance civilizations in the past (Atlantis), advanced civilizations in the future (time travelers), and spiritual beings (angels). I love a riddle - am I right on any of these?

On a side issue, I am the local cinemaphile. Is there a movie or story that first inspired your love for sci-fi?

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cjpatrick
Member # 8225

- posted      Profile for cjpatrick   Email cjpatrick         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome. I too am new here, as well as new to writing. I think you are going to find this site very helpful. I have experimented with some other websites hoping to interact with other aspiring writers but found myself a little frustrated at times (mainly with the 13 year old girls writing about their one true loves.) Not that I am discouraging any sort of writing, we all have to start somewhere, and some of it IS a wee-bit insightful, however I was hoping to look for a more narrow scope of writers to interact with and this looks to be the place. So I welcome you and look forward to maybe getting to sample some of your work. Enjoy!
Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark_w_16601
Member # 8229

philocinemas

Yes, no, and no to answer your questions, but it is much deeper than a simple yes.

Thank you for your welcome note.

My favorite film concerning UFOs was Into the Sky believe it or not. I like having some realism in my movies. My favorite movie of all time is tombstone, but that isn't very original.

I am working on the screenplay for my manuscript. I truly think my novel would make for an excellent movie. I am a movie freak.

Look forward to conversing with you...

mark_w_16601
Member # 8229

cjpatrick

thank you for the introduction. perhaps we can start our own thread and writer group. I can see how the 13 line thing is an issue. we can call it newbees or in my case, noidea..lol

mark

Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mark!

One of the cooler things about writing, for me, is that I never have a clue where it's gonna take me. Maybe that never changes. The personal journey involved in writing doesn't though, I'm sure of that. I'm in my second full length novel and doing the query thing too. Don't hesitate to drop any of the secrets to overnight success you discover in your endless googling on the subject my way.

Are you doing a re-draft right now or do you have an editor doing it? Or is your novel ready-to-go? You may find many in the novel forum who are also going through that. (Hint: People's email addresses can be found up top in their post with the little pen/envelope icon, I didn't know that when I was newbie)

I'd assure you though, no matter how long any of us have been writing or on the Hatrack (maybe a month now for myself), there's still stuff we can learn -- probably from you! So, close your eyes and jump in feet first, man.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark_w_16601
Member # 8229

Reagansgame

Hi Reagansgame,

Sorry it took so long to reply. I will try to email you anything I discover in the next few days. I just purchased three editing/writing books to self-edit my novel further. I read the average auther edits his book 12 times before he/she is happy with it. There are some great links to agents/publishers. Try this one:

http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/peba.htm

I am currently attempting to correct the spelling, grammer, and sentence structure. This is my third look over. My next step will be to go through the book line by line and either polish it up or leave it alone. This is why I bought the books.

Only four people have read any of my book and they all say they love it. Nobody has completed the entire novel. I only allowed them to read the first 175 pages (My manuscript is 365 pages so far).

What are the subject of your books?

I would love to bounce ideas back and fourth with you.

Mark

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings! have a cupcake!

Are you familiar with John Keel?

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark_w_16601
Member # 8229

Merlion,

What is a cupcake? I googled your keel guy. why do you ask?

Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.
Posts: 1165 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark, Merlion offers new members various desserts within our virtual world, whether that be a treehouse, a space station, or wherever our minds and fingers might meet. I am assuming the Keel reference was in regards to your interest in UFOs.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kin Castelmare
Member # 8215

- posted      Profile for Kin Castelmare   Email Kin Castelmare         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Mark.

Your project sounds very interesting and we'll be looking forward to reading whatever bits and pieces you choose to share. An early favorite UFO movie for me was Strange Invaders, which was just fun and I recently got around to watching Taken, which was done well. There's always room for more good, speculative fiction. May your work find a proper home.

Enjoy your stay!

Posts: 37 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark_w_16601
Member # 8229

kin,

I loved taken. Thank you for the welcome.

mark

CarolCPK
Member # 8089

- posted      Profile for CarolCPK   Email CarolCPK         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark,
Welcome from another newbie. I love UFOs, and I love historical fiction, so your story sounds fun to me!
Best wishes with the query letters,
Carol

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the Keel reference was due to his non-typical views on UFO phenomena. I tend to agree with most of what Keel says and thinks, except I disagree with his notion that theres still a fundementally "scientific" explanation.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.