Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Don't mind me...

Author Topic: Don't mind me...
Chunky Monkey Sr
Member # 8231

- posted      Profile for Chunky Monkey Sr   Email Chunky Monkey Sr         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, there really is no good way to introduce oneself in the twisting nether of cyberspace. So, I guess I will just launch into it and describe the intangibles...like my 'tastes' and things that motivate.

I enjoy science fiction and fantasy epics. Currently I am reading through Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series (just got done reading his book 'Elantris'...stayed up until 5:50 in the morning, just long enough to hear the traffic start outside my home). Perhaps the main force of inspiration for my works is Robert Jordan (RIP), and OSC. I remember reading Ender's game about once every couple weeks when I was in high school, it was just too good!

My current projects are a script for a family christmas movie my siblings and I are making, and a fantasy epic novel. I've got about 6k words done, almost the prologue and first chapter. I'll post the first 13 sometime soon so you can peruse at your leisure.

Philocinemas (sp?): I read some of the other threads here and noticed you are in the market to know what films inspired me. I suggest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...always a classic, has quotable lines, and a measure of comedy.

P.S. The community here is great! I have spent the last week or so lurking and just admire how the discourse here is run.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Chunky Monkey -

What an, umh... interesting name. Anyway, in reference to your TMNT movie, do you mean the first one in 1990?

I was in college when the cartoon and eventual first movie came out, so I didn't get into them much. However, I remember going over to a friend's house back in 1986 to watch Brazil on HBO and he had a B/W graphic novel of TMNT - that was my first intro to them before I became aware of the cartoon. I have seen some of the graphic novels since and like them more - but they have a more serious tone.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I have to ask. Is there a Chunky Monkey Jr? Or at least a good story?

Welcome!

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chunky Monkey Sr
Member # 8231

- posted      Profile for Chunky Monkey Sr   Email Chunky Monkey Sr         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya, the 1990 one, with Steve Barron as the director. The new one ('TMNT') is animated, but still good. It still is based off earlier movies, but transitions those who aren't familiar with the story really well.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is always a good laugh.
"Resistance is useless!"

Edit:
Yes there is indeed a Chunky Monkey Jr. He enjoyed his 1 month birthday on Thursday.

[This message has been edited by Chunky Monkey Sr (edited September 27, 2008).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well then, Happy Birthday to Chunky Monkey Jr!

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*yawn!* Oh, excuse me. I'm not usually around to welcome new members this time at night. Sorry that you caught me in my bath robe. I was thinking of going to bed before long. I can find you a seat if you wish, but considering the hour, maybe I should take you to your room upstairs instead? Sleep as late as you want, and I'm sure someone will have breastfast ready for you whenever you decide to get up.

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Chunky Monkey Sr.

If you've been lurking, you've probably already followed the
link to the Hatrack Utility Belt, also known as the H.U.B. If you haven't, feel free.

Posts: 8541 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on being a new parent! It's THE most life changing event of one's life. Enjoy it - I still am.

I actually liked Hitchhiker's, though reviews were mixed. I know it is cliche, but the book was better.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chunky Monkey Sr
Member # 8231

Thanks! My life has definitely been turned sideways, if not completely upside down.

Here is a question for you philo, when is a book NOT better than a movie?

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I submit that the movie STARDUST was just a teeny bit better than the book STARDUST (which was also very good), but maybe that's because of Robert DeNiro.
Posts: 8541 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

I didn't particularly like The Godfather - quit after the second chapter. I haven't liked the Michael Chrichton books I have read as much as the movies. I can't think of any others I have read. I liked the Stanley Kubrick version of The Shining better than the Stephen King version of his own book.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited September 28, 2008).]

jkhodgepodge
Member # 8191

- posted      Profile for jkhodgepodge   Email jkhodgepodge         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To not do Princess Bride would be inconceivable!

Welcome Monkey!

[This message has been edited by jkhodgepodge (edited September 28, 2008).]

Posts: 34 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Chunky Monkey --

I nicknamed my nephew chuncky froghead when he was a baby, chunky monkey is also a bluebell icecream flavor, though not too appetizing by the sound of it, no offense intended.

Welcome to the Hatrack and to parenthood. May each experience be as engaging as it can be frustrating at times (writing and parenting, not the Hatrack and your newborn

I could hardly resist:
Sleep well, for I'll most likely kill you in the morning!

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.
Posts: 1165 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.