Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » New to the community

Author Topic: New to the community
lbdavid98
Member # 8789

- posted      Profile for lbdavid98   Email lbdavid98         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone! I just discovered your community and would like very much to become a participant. I’ll introduce myself and include some biographical information:

My name is David and I just moved from California to Kansas with the goal of making writing my full-time profession. I do have a day (actually night) job as an emergency telephone operator, but it’s for a very small community so I spend most of the night filling my notebook up.

I spent five years as an Arabic Linguist in the Army, joining before 9/11 and serving some during the tumultuous time that followed. I mention this because my experience as a veteran informs my writing, and the foreign language training I received while in the service ultimately led to my completing a degree in Comparative World Literature at Long Beach State.

I have a strong interest in literary translation, having completed my first work in translation last year. I’m currently working in Arabic & Spanish, with working on adding Hebrew to the mix over the next several years.

My own fiction tends towards fantasy & science fiction, I’ve got two novels on the back burner while I work on my short fiction this year. I still dabble with them, but I have this nagging sense that I’m missing something—and I’m hoping that participating in this community will help me get where I need to go.

Some authors that rock my world: Orson Scott Card (it had to be said), Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Robert Jordan, Franz Kafka, Naghib Mahfouz, Timothy Zahn, Kevin Anderson, Haruki Murakami, Janet Evanovich, Jane Austen, Whitman and Rumi. I tried to list only authors that I’m always willing to read, and often read their works more than once.

I’ll stop there for now. I look forward to getting to know everyone through our interactions within the workshop.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

- posted      Profile for Andrew_McGown   Email Andrew_McGown         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wlecome welcome ibdavid98.
Well done on Gaiman... sorry about Austen... ( just kidding )

Well, you know what Twain said about Jane Austen:

Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone.

Edit: The smiley is mine...

Looking forward to your specific insights.

[This message has been edited by Andrew_McGown (edited September 10, 2009).]

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lbdavid98
Member # 8789

- posted      Profile for lbdavid98   Email lbdavid98         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insight might be in short supply, but when that happens I skate by on opinion.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jezzahardin
Member # 8782

- posted      Profile for jezzahardin   Email jezzahardin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, lbdavid98.

Out of sheer curiosity, what brought you to hatrack? I found it through Orson Scott Card's book on world building, which lead me to his website, which lead me here.

So was your attempt at a writing career your primary goal in the cross-country move?

Best,
Jez

Posts: 39 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lbdavid98
Member # 8789

My journey to Hatrack River? I don’t remember how I found out about it, but I’ve been a subscriber to the InterGalactic Medicine Show since its first issue. I’ve read two of OSC’s books on writing, enjoy his blogs on “everything”, and have read all of his writing lessons. Ultimately I became curious about the literary boot camp and my search in that direction led me to your community. Part of me wishes I’d found it sooner, but the truth is I’ve only been serious about my writing for the last few months.

As for the cross country move, the real answer is: I don’t know. I think “wanderlust” played a great part in it, I’ve lived in quite a few states since turning 18 and I enjoy learning new places and establishing new routines. I can say that writing is what is keeping me here. I was less than happy with my living situation when I first got here and the temptation was to move back. Ultimately my decision to stay, and get my own place without the psychotic roommate, was fueled by having the kind of job that let’s you write at work. I couldn’t give it up, even if it means freezing during the winters.

[This message has been edited by lbdavid98 (edited September 10, 2009).]

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I'd drop back into the magical treehouse during my local travels. I've been on vacation this week, and it will continue until I return to work on 9/22/09. So far I've hiked with my new dog Sal, gone to visit with friends at a local horse show, went target shooting with my husband (I like his 22 rifle) that I haven't down in 4 or 5 years, went to one of the largest flea markets around at Shipshewana, IN, and had a great day at the Ft. Wayne Children's Zoo today. Whew! We're heading for Turkey Run State Park tomorrow that's supposed to have some awesome rock formations. I'm hoping to get some trail riding in on my good Foundation Appaloosa mare sometime this weekend.

SO! Have you found your way around okay? Hope you've enjoyed the space station through that door over there and the undersea observatory through the door on the other side of this room. The kitchen's in the back with our famous magic fridge and the deck just outside from there. Enjoy the hot tub on the deck and that incredible sunset we're having this evening. You just can't beat all the great things that happen around here. There's something for everyone.

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

- posted      Profile for Andrew_McGown   Email Andrew_McGown         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...oh, and beware of the marid

[This message has been edited by Andrew_McGown (edited September 15, 2009).]

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.