Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hi!

Author Topic: Hi!
Jess
Member # 9742

- posted      Profile for Jess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi I'm new. Sort of. I was on here years and years ago. So long ago in fact that I registered new because my e-mail has changed.
My name is Jessica. Writing is my life. I have been writing my entire life and making up stories as long as I possibly could remember.
I've recently graduated from college with a degree in biology.
I own the most adorable cat and dog ever. My dog, Lucy is a five year old chihuahua. She is very obedient and even plays dead and whispers on command. My cat, Nico is a five month old ragamuffin kitten (google them they are cool). He may end up being a show kitty if I can get money and time to take him to some shows and might be trained to be a therapy cat so I can take him to visit nursing homes and the such.
I write young adult fantasy. Currently I'm working on a YA high fantasy tentatively called Bonding.
I'm working on the tagline for it but basically: A mage must share her magic and thoughts with an infuriating rebel to help him overthrow the king she reveres.

If you want to learn more about me my blog is jessicalfoster.blogspot.com

I look forward to getting to know everyone on here.

Posts: 73 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treamayne
Member # 9700

- posted      Profile for Treamayne           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back Jess. The treehouse may have expanded in your absence so check it out. Still a great group of people here though. If you are trying to use old links to look up topics from the past, many of them are broken. We posted a thread on how to convert a link to the new address system in the Grist Forum. (Appropriately titled "Updating Links")

Glad to see you come back. Have a great day.

V/R
AT

Posts: 61 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back to the treehouse.
Posts: 3940 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back.
Posts: 1130 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, welcome... back that is.

And you have a dog the whispers on command, that's neat... cool even.

There are other writers here who write YA I believe, not sure how many do YA high fantasy but that's okay there's a lot of overlap as you probably know.

Congrats on the graduation

However as you may not know since you were here years ago. Be careful if you see a unicorn rambling around the Treehouse, she cane be mean.

Posts: 4896 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AbbyG
Member # 9737

- posted      Profile for AbbyG   Email AbbyG         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jess and welcome. What's the difference between "high" fantasy and, uh, low fantasy? (I'm a genre newbie as well as a newbie to this board)
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess
Member # 9742

- posted      Profile for Jess           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I figure in the fantasy genre, there is urban fantasy which takes place in the here and now and high fantasy which takes place in another world or time period.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AbbyG
Member # 9737

- posted      Profile for AbbyG   Email AbbyG         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, that makes sense
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always taken high fantasy to mean the Tolken type even though that is also epic fantasy I think.

Anyway there's about ten different types of fantasy and you're probably not the only one here who isn't sure.

Maybe we should have a thread that describes the various fantasy and SF types.

Posts: 4896 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, "high" fantasy usually indicates a secondary, usually medieval-ish setting, usually there is definite and clear magic and/or magical creatures, non-human intelligent races like elves, dwarves, giants, fairies etc.

I think "epic" fantasy often overlaps with "high" fantasy and simply means there are epic, world-altering events going on in the story...that's what I'd figure anyway.

"Sword and Sorcery" is often used in a similar way as well but also has the more specific meaning of Conan-style stories, werein the protagonist is virtually always a muscly aggressive warrior type or sometimes a thief-type, most magic and magic users are evil or at least extremely dangerous and sometimes a bit less common than in "high" fantasy...and usually the fighting is more visceral and graphic and there's more scantily clad women and whatall.

These are generalities though. For example, the Earthsea stories are generally considered high fantasy, but the world is iron-age in nature and there are no "fantasy races" apart from dragons. And although its rare to find in literature, in the 80s you had a lot of movies and stuff mixing fantasy and sci fi quite freely (and you have Star Wars still doing it.)

Oh and getting back on topic...re-greetings. Have a lemon bar.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.