Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hi to the Group

Author Topic: Hi to the Group
Robert Briggs
Member # 9751

- posted      Profile for Robert Briggs   Email Robert Briggs         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

My name is Robert Briggs. I am a 42 year old husband of one wife for the last 19 years. I have two young children, ages 8 and 11, and 3 dogs that drive my wife absolutely insane. I am, by trade, a Pastor of a small church in Houston Texas and have been in this field for 22 years. As my job entails a great amount of word usage I have fallen in love with well crafted sentences and think of words as a mode of painting. Things in my life have lately dramatically changed and started me thinking that I needed to get to that "book" I've always wanted to right before it's too late. I say this because I was recently diagnosed, back in October of 2011, with adinocarcinoma of the lungs, with metastases to the liver and surrounding lymph nodes. It was quite a shock as I am not a smoker, at least not for the last 23 years, I was very active in Karate, weight lifting and cardio vascular exercise. I lived as clean as I possibly could and just didn't believe the news when it first came. Anyway, after my initial bout of - woe is me - I got things together and started to realize Life was not over until I said it was over. And I am no where near ready to give up the spirit as the scriptures would say. So live I shall. And in so doing I will get busy with my dreams. Please don't expect a lot out of my writing to start. I have only one formal class in creative writing and that was a laugh. The teacher gave absolutely everyone in the class an A and never offered a word of criticism at all. When I got my grade I approached him with my total amazement and he simply said "writing is a subjective thing,very personal to each person, I can't criticize something that is a part of you" to which I laughed and said "that's why I took this class because I WANT you to criticize me and help me improve". Well he didn't oblige but I sure hope you guys will. I am very open and do not get easily offended so please tell me as you see it and help me reach my goal. I promise to do the same for you all, as best as I possibly can.

Sincerely,

Robert Briggs
robbrigg2@aol.com
ntccpasadenatx.org/blog2

Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings. Have a lovely brownie.

Very sorry to hear about your illness, but you sound quite determined to beat it...or at least not let it stand in your way...so I believe you will succeed in that.

I'm also of the school of thought that writing-all art, in fact-is more or less purely subjective and individual, nor do I really see a point in "grading" creative works. However, that doesn't mean it can't be criticized. You know what you want it to be, but what you first make may not fit that, and you need the perspectives of others to help you shape your art into a match for your vision.
Therefore, when I critique, I try to understand the intentions of the author and offer feedback that will help them make it the most effective version of what it is, and what they wish it to be, possible.
You'll find a broad range of views on the subject here and, thank Elbesem, only one or two who believe their own views to be universal.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3900 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there. Nice to meet you. Sounds like you are on the right rack despite your illness- disease.

I was going to say that we have a min debate around here about the same thing your teacher said, but looks like you've heard already.

There are no rules to writing but at the same time there are techniques that can make it better for the modern reader.... and editor. Some of us here know some of those techniques and are quite happy to share them.

However as you explore the treehouse do be careful. There's this unicorn that wonders the halls and she can be mean.

Posts: 4847 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.