Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Newbie here to learn and improve

Author Topic: Newbie here to learn and improve
Charles P. Shingledecker
Member # 9849

- posted      Profile for Charles P. Shingledecker   Email Charles P. Shingledecker         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone.

Obviously I'm a new member here and have just been approved today! :)I'm excited to be here and hope to learn a lot by participating as much as I can.

Just a little background information on me. I basically began writing about two years ago. I was still in recovery of some pretty major health problems and had grown frustrated with some internal issues within my particular religious denomination. A friend of mine encouraged me to write about some of those problems. Other than a few letters to the editor in local newspapers, I'd never written anything before. But she'd seen a couple of my letters and thought it was worth trying out. So I began to write (and research) a lot.

Long story short is that what I had been writing eventually turned into a book which was published last year by a small religious press on the east coast. I haven't made much money from the book (again, we're talking about a very small press) but it was nice to be published. I immediately began writing another book on a different religious topic but writing non-fiction made me catch the fiction bug, and I've caught it pretty bad. [Smile]

I've only recently begun writing fiction, and I have begun with short stories (obviously). On George R.R. Martin's website, he suggests (in his Q&A section) that new writers should learn how to tell a story before tackling that first novel. I thought that sounded like pretty sound advice. (Though I admit, I've already started a novel, I'm focusing on short fiction).

I'm continuing to write non-fiction, but I love the idea of grabbing someone and taking them for a ride. I'm slowly learning about my mistakes and how to better craft a story, but I want to get better. That's why I'm here. I am a member of a writer's group, and they've been a BIG help with my non-fiction books (helping me understand where I'm too technical) but they are out of their element a bit with SF and Fantasy. (Though one new member has been helpful.)

Anyway, I hope to get to know everyone and do what I can to learn and maybe help others as well.

BTW, though my name is Charles I always go by Chuck -- though if I ever get published in fiction, I'll be using a pseudonym.

Chuck

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3935 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Charles.

You know what Joker said: "Whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stranger." But we're all a bit strange here (some more than others). [Wink]

I've been writing for a decade and a half but only now I've realized that Martin might be right. I was going after the novels before but after recently finishing up a novella I learned a novel is something else entirely.

Pseudonyms can be fun. Just don't go too far because I heard they may induce shizophrenia. [Wink]

Welcome aboard.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So be blessed and welcome...come on in to join us in learning the craft.

Of writing that is. Plenty hereabouts who know a thing or three about writing and like to help others learn what they know.

But as you wonder around the treehouse do be careful there is a unicorn and she can be mean.

Posts: 4891 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TimP
Member # 9861

- posted      Profile for TimP   Email TimP         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there. Welcome aboard.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.